DIY pulley line replacement

For all foil kite riders
mister-z
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180
Local Beach: San Diego
Style: poor
Gear: AXIS Tray 94 + 760 foil, 12m Hyperlink, 5m Peak4, Cabrinha LEIs, shitty old TT that I need to replace
Brand Affiliation: AXIS ambassador

DIY pulley line replacement

Postby mister-z » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:05 am

Recently noticed substantial wear on one of my pulley lines on my Hyperlink. I guess it's a sheathed line, and the sheath is just gone. I can buy a new set of lines from Ozone for $60 -- https://ozonekites.net/proddetail.asp?p ... lley_lines

But the other 3 lines still look very good, so I'm inclined to try creating a replacement line myself from a $2 cut off a spool at West Marine. Has anyone else done this? Any advice? Is this a bad idea? Would 12-strand single-braid dyneema work? Or is it important that I use sheathed line, and if so what material?
PXL_20201106_205707704.jpg

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: DIY pulley line replacement

Postby jakemoore » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:19 am

Replace all lines and blocks on both sides as a unit.

7/64 Amsteel is fine and easy to build a mixer with splices.

Those 20 mm Orbit blocks are the best.

The reason only one line went bad is the block went bad.

Realistically it’s at least 2 hours of time including shopping, mixer building and tuning so the Ozone replacement is not unreasonable.

Building in an adjustment is not a bad idea.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:09 am

The spare set from ozone is quality and all assembled ready to go, with new orbit pulleys fitted,
30 euro a side as you say, I bought a set as I had seen one guy on flag beach with a worn through grey running line just the same as your photo, that was a year ago and my spare set is still in the bag, but I rarely ever fail to check my orbit pulleys are spinning free and smooth, and clean rince them regularly,
(I never leave bar attached)
Like you I tried to find that superb sheathed grey running line, failed to, I ordered what looked right but on delivery it was just too soft and plainly not as good, and after getting the ozone spares kit then I wished I had just saved my time and money and bought the kit first off,
but to be honest I thought the 30euro was just for the running line, not the orbit pulley included and set up ready to fit.
Your link shows the full set without the orbit pulleys, at a much higher price than I paid. Strange!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:52 am

I have pulled out my spare speed system from ozone and I have two orbit pulleys, not one, so the full set for one side 2 grey running lines and 2 orbit pulleys with full attachment lines pre fitted,. All this for a decent price of around £36 GMB,
The red line I have shown alongside is one of the long spare bridal lines you get with a new kite, same great quality but a little bit thinner and guessing around 2 mtrs long, this red line can be used as a replacement for a worn out grey running line whilst you order a new replacement set from ozone, the red sheathed line is amazing quality like the grey line, very stiff , hard and slippy surface,
where you could buy the exact same spec line would be good to know, but for now you can see I have many spare line lengths from my V3 Chrono and hyperlink V2 and V1 kites, which all use the same speed system and are completely interchangeable
Image Image Image Image

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:53 pm

It’s fine to replace just that one line and not the whole system. If you sew the ends instead of splice, it’s quick and easy to cut off the old line and thread in a new one and sew it to the correct length.

mgs
Frequent Poster
Style: Skimboarding, flat water & small waves
Gear: Ozone Chrono 18m (V1)
Ozone R1 15m (V1)
Ozone Chrono 12m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 10m (V1)
Peter Lynn Nova 8m (V2)
Zap ACE - Skimboard
DB Sandfish - Skimboard
DIY Kite Parts - Many sewing machines :-)

Postby mgs » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:35 am

You can make and replaced PB1 & PB2 pulley lines without having to replace the entire speed system. I use Liros DSL 2.4mm 600KG Sleeved dyneema.
If you have access to a sewing machine and with practice you can make your own sewn bridle line loops as needed.
Those Ronstan pulleys work very well and giving them a quick clean with a brush on a regular basis will prolong their life as well as the bridle line that runs through it.

mister-z
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180
Local Beach: San Diego
Style: poor
Gear: AXIS Tray 94 + 760 foil, 12m Hyperlink, 5m Peak4, Cabrinha LEIs, shitty old TT that I need to replace
Brand Affiliation: AXIS ambassador

Postby mister-z » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:46 pm

Thanks for the inputs guys. After a second look, the other 3 lines may still be serviceable, but they're getting pretty rough too. So I took the easy option and just bought the full replacement set. Luckily the pulleys are still good. I'll just be more diligent in the future about cleaning the sand out of them between sessions.

Return to “Foil Kites”