Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitefoil, double skin - single skin Peak/FireFly?

For all foil kite riders
Sceotend
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 90 kg
Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kitefoil, double skin - single skin Peak/FireFly?

Postby Sceotend » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:27 am

Thanks geron, I would be really interesting to hear more about Race Star+ kites. I have NS4 kite from born and it's really nice. I also have Peak 4 8m2. I have been wondering how Stars will perform vs Peaks as I'm contemplating to buy a smaller single skin.

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:39 pm

Hello Seotend, the long star (5.5m) is les expensive than the race star + 5m. For snow kiting I am sure both would be grate. In those sizes they would be the most fun and versátil.
Haven’t tried the NS4
These users thanked the author geron for the post:
Sceotend (Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

geron
Frequent Poster

Postby geron » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:43 pm

Yesterday, I was able to start foiling with the 7m RS+ and 19m lines when a lighter and better foiling friend (with the 8m peak and 27m lines) was not. I think that with the same 27m lines, I would be able to start foiling, in as low wind as the kite would be able to fly (the looping force of this RS+ 7m is much higher than the Peak4); the thing is that the square meters are less but the wing span is quite a bit larger.
Water relaunch though, is imposible...
These users thanked the author geron for the post:
Sceotend (Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

geron
Frequent Poster

Postby geron » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:32 pm

Hello, still learning to use this Race Star plus high aspect single skin kites:
Sunday I started hidrofoiling (790 wing and 90cm board) with the 7 square meter and 14m lines on 12 to 18 knot wind; it was ok but felt like it would have been better on a smaller kite (thought of the 5m peak but the novel factor of the Born kites won) I tried the 3 square meter RS+ on 24m lines... It was fun all the way.
The 3m kite is much easier to use with long lines:
Looping the kite is much easier to start foiling, it is much easier to control the radius of the loop and therefore the force required to start. Also, The spike force of this small kite is so sharp that it needs the buffer of the long lines so that the interaction between the kite and the bar feedback is not as direct and immediate... at least it is better for me at my level of kite handling of this setup.
But upwind and downwind was grate and lots of potential for me to understand and improve with this equipment.
Hope someone else tries one of this kites, 5m might be good for someone without experience on single skin kites but for a peak rider used to the 4m and 3m, I would think that the 3 square meter Race Star+ would be a very interesting kite to have. (I can imagine that long lines on this 3m kite would be an advantage in most circumstances for hidrofoiling)

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:22 pm

geron wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:32 pm
Hello, still learning to use this Race Star plus high aspect single skin kites:
Sunday I started hidrofoiling (790 wing and 90cm board) with the 7 square meter and 14m lines on 12 to 18 knot wind; it was ok but felt like it would have been better on a smaller kite (thought of the 5m peak but the novel factor of the Born kites won) I tried the 3 square meter RS+ on 24m lines... It was fun all the way.
Nice your thoughts and experiences with Race start. Interesting why you not bought just single 5m kite, seems as it has best range and is most universal. in their site writting that wind range is from 4 knots to 26 knots in land (it means quite the same in foiling). In such case it beats Peak 5m in range definitely. Maybe do you know what is weight of your 3 and 7 m Race stars+?

geron
Frequent Poster

Postby geron » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:58 pm

Hi a99
I had the peak4 in 4,5 and 8m. I ride some times with my daughters and so having kites that are close in size is sometimes good for us so that we can kite at the same time. The 5m RS+ was the most logical size but I also wanted to complement the peak sizes for most wind rage. I thought of the 7 and 3m high aspect kite to be the most interesting to test the limits of the design in the wind range.
3m RS+ 657g
7m RS+ 1129g
for reference (in the same scale): 4m peak4 729g & 5m peak4 862g

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:18 am

I've got a 6m Ultralight Kitech coming my way, which I think will be interesting to try alongside the Peaks as well.

According to Attila at Kitech the weight of the Ultralight 6m is just 890 Grams. (27 GR UL 890 Gr kite only (weight of the kite with lines and speed system with comp band)). Interestingly and surprisingly, that is even lighter than the 6m paek at 980 Grams.

So very keen to test the Kitech against my 5m Peak and see what strengths / weaknesses can be found. Hoping for better upwind and higher usable top-end on fast foils. As well as good upwind and drift on a surfboard, to use for a travel kite.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:35 am

To drop the wind range down to below the ca. 10 knots you need for a 6m Peak, what kite would be best? Not aiming for really low, like the 5 or 6 knots that is the realm of 21m race kites, but something more like 8 knots. Is a 10m or 12m Soul the appropriate size? A 9m or 12m FRS? Typically, the foilers I see using these kites are using bigger kites than that, because they are looking to be powered up for speed & jumps, but will 10m or 12m do the job? Alternatively, what about a 10m - 12m strutless?

Sceotend
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 90 kg
Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m

Postby Sceotend » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:47 pm

I hope someone has both RS and RS+. I would love to know how the performance differs. Especially how hard they are to water relaunch. I read from here (https://www.tubelesskite.net/t9909-nouv ... -race-star) that RS+ is heavier and has some "fibers" to support structure / reduce fluttering.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:18 pm

Interesting - I have tried to search for hydrofoil videos with Born RS and RS+ kites, but not really found anything.

Can someone lead us to these?

How do they drift and work for waves, how do they turn?
Are they "noise" free, no flapping?

Apparently loads of peak power, so interesting in light wind also.

Not much info around :roll:

8) Peter

Return to “Foil Kites”