Soul V2?

For all foil kite riders
Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Soul V2?

Postby Ice101 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:32 am

So now that the v2 soul has been put for a bit for those who have tried the sonic 3 as well as the soul 2 which do you prefer and which is the better kite?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:44 pm

Ice101 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:32 am
So now that the v2 soul has been put for a bit for those who have tried the sonic 3 as well as the soul 2 which do you prefer and which is the better kite?
It all really depends on what your style of riding is, your spot, and your skill. For me, foiling in surf/looping/actively flying the kite, I pick my Souls. Also if I'm riding up in MN on a lake where the wind is typically gusty and constantly shifting, I pick the Souls. If I'm going for ultimate low end in smoother water on foil/use a faster foil wing then the Sonic3. Also for big air I'll pick the Sonic3 unless I'm VERY over powered, then the Soul.

The Sonic3 takes more skill to get everything out of it, bar position is much more important. The Soul is more of a pull in and go kind of kite. To this date, my highest jumps are still with the Soul but that's mostly because it's easier to handle when the wind is nuking.

=Jason-

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:58 pm

Thanks for the info mate. :-)

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:23 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:32 am
'preciate the effort in doing the video man

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:14 pm

These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
direnc (Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:35 am)
Rating: 3.03%

lopor
Rare Poster
Gear: Catalyst 2014 9m, Soul 15 & 10

Postby lopor » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:42 pm

Guys, may I get an advice? I have a decent offer on an used Soul 2 kite - no holes etc., but I am not sure about the stitching. I took pictures of the worst parts; is that an OK condition? The other parts are better/the same. I think it does not look that bad, but comparing it to my Soul 1 I think that my Soul 1 looks a little better. The long stitches look better than the diagonal stitches (there are just few diagonal stitches plus they are not very long, if you check an image of Soul 2 it is that few diagonal panels near the leading edge, only sewn diagonally because of it´s desing). Thanks
Attachments
stitches.jpg

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:20 am

lopor wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:42 pm
Guys, may I get an advice? I have a decent offer on an used Soul 2 kite - no holes etc., but I am not sure about the stitching. I took pictures of the worst parts; is that an OK condition? The other parts are better/the same. I think it does not look that bad, but comparing it to my Soul 1 I think that my Soul 1 looks a little better. The long stitches look better than the diagonal stitches (there are just few diagonal stitches plus they are not very long, if you check an image of Soul 2 it is that few diagonal panels near the leading edge, only sewn diagonally because of it´s desing). Thanks
Does look a little stretched. Most likely fill with water on a session but it's hard to tell by those pics if it effects the kite. I'd have them inflate it with a leaf blower and see how long it stays inflated. Also during in the inflation you can see how they look too. Overall I don't think too bad.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 2):
lopor (Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:46 am) • deldenk (Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:11 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

lopor
Rare Poster
Gear: Catalyst 2014 9m, Soul 15 & 10

Postby lopor » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:58 am

I have put the tested Soul V2 15 alongside with my Soul V1 10 (less than 20 hrs airtime) in my living room (however I had to bend them in half) and inflated them with a hairdryer (cold air of course). For the first 15 minutes they looked similiar, then the V2 became to look more deflated - I'd blame especially the new drainage system (dirt outs), as in such a no wind environment, as a living room should be, I can feel (by putting my hand to it) how much air flows through it compared to V1 dirt outs. This corresponds with my first thoughts when I first saw the new dirt outs, in my opinion they leak too much air.

EDIT: Did a second course of the test, now I used clothes peg to make the dirt out vent on the V2 about a half smaller and this is a huge improvement. Would do this on a V2 (probably with a velcro) if I had one as I think that the new dirt out is a downgrade.

EDIT2: What I am thinking about now is whether the stitches will tend to become looser and looser even if I handle the kite gently as I do with my V1 15 m, which is 2,5 years old but has a little tighter stitching than the V2 I am interested in.

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:23 pm

I bought a slightly used Soul V2 10m and made a mixer test. What caught my attention was this little knot in the bridle line. I have no idea, how this can happen.
Do I have to worry the reduced breaking load of the line, or is this no matter ?
Ps: This is the B-Line
Attachments
PXL_20220708_182721737.jpg

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:04 am

seppalord wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:23 pm
I bought a slightly used Soul V2 10m and made a mixer test. What caught my attention was this little knot in the bridle line. I have no idea, how this can happen.
Do I have to worry the reduced breaking load of the line, or is this no matter ?
Ps: This is the B-Line
Check the rest of your bridles, pretty sure this is designed this way to make a V in the bridle without the need to make two separate spliced lines.
When the smallest chosen diameter in the bridle is already too thick for the loads in the b and c rows you can knot it this way to save some costs in manufacturing (less splices) without the chance of those lines breaking.

It comes at the cost of a tiny bit extra drag, but the soul is designed to be accessible and affordable, not the most efficient.

They could have gone to even thinner bridle lines for less drag here, but those would tangle more easily and would make the kite more expensive.

Return to “Foil Kites”