Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Soul V2?

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:35 pm

So lets discuss:
So it seems biggest change is the new fabric and bridle I guess.

This new fabric is suppose to be much stiffer which to me means much better drift. It seems to be basically the same weight (33g/m2 for Soul2 vs 32g/m2 for Soul1). I hope it is still as durable and knowing FS I'm sure it is. Shame they couldn't reduce the weight but I think the stiffness is going to be worth the very slight heavier build.

The bridle adjustments are different if I'm reading it correctly. There's now the ability to trim? "Bridle levels of the kite are controlled by the mixer, a pulley system which modulates the angle of attack and the profile camber. The mixer features the two-ring camber trim system. Moving the rings changes the relationship between the B or C level relative to the A level. The profile of the foil kite can be trimmed to be either flat or curved." Also looks like they're including a "Bridle Check Tool". That will be nice.

Only other change I see is the updated drainage system from the Sonic3. So more of an evolution than a revolution like Sonic2->Sonic3. If this new fabric really does improve the drift like I'm hoping, it's going to be fantastic for kitefoiling in the surf which is exactly what I want it for. Plus the ability to trim should mean even more kiteloop goodness on twintip.

Sadly no 7m though so I ordered a 6 and 8. Not too happy with those sizes being pink but oh well.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Crazyfly Raptor 140x42, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:36 pm

Have not watched it yet, but here ya go.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Crazyfly Raptor 140x42, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:06 pm

According to review above, there is nothing to lose your mind over. The main issues were not addressed. I don't see the point of upgrading V1 over to V2, unless your V1 is on the verge of death. Those kites are mostly the same. Except for a new price tag.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby keegster17 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:19 pm

Kristan, quick to grab that review! Guys have any questions let me know, I kite with Our kite life peeps. I have not tried yet myself. Adventure logs wanted Sonic drain holes, I did not notice any changes there. Colours are good and bad. I like the duller colours for the reason it hides a dirty kite better, however as said, they are a little dull. Material does have more cross threading, which I assume makes it stronger, other than that, I have to fly it, hopefully this weekend, to really see any differences.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Has thanked: 0

Postby andylc » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:33 pm

The main advantage of the V2 would appear to be the ability to get a V1 second hand for a better price...
These users thanked the author andylc for the post (total 2):
kitexpert (Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:49 pm) • zivshr (Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:56 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:48 pm

Seems like I was correct when I said it is very difficult to improve Soul. New version looks pretty much same as original.

It doesn't make much sense to think stiffer fabric means better drift. Drift capability is mostly kite shape derivative and too bad it is quite contradictionary to high performance design. No way they have thought "Let's make a new high performance kite (Soul v2) with excellent drift".

No, in reality they make a high performance kite which is acceptably stable. Then drift will be what it comes.

Mixer adjustments seem similar to what it has been. And how it could be anything else because camber adjustments by the mixer have been well known tech for over 15 years and there isn't anything to improve there.

I like fresh colors of new kite.

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: SoL style
Gear: Epic kites, Flysurfer kites, Prolimit
Brand Affiliation: Epickites kiteboarding

Postby Soleas » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:50 pm

Wait. Hang on there a sec. Those are brand new first time in the air kites. I remember the day I first flew my Soul 10m. I was complaining that it wasn't turning fast and needed a lot of input for it to turn. I had to pull the steering line all the time. Also it was empty at the bar, no bar pressure and not much power. And the tips were folding.
The lines need some hours to stretch and after the first 20 hours or so they need to be checked and trimmed again at the mixer. Well, after the 20 hours and the final trim the Soul came alive. It was and still is now 2 years later amazing in all aspects.
So I can relate to the guy in the review vid saying that it needs some input to turn, tips folding etc. But I do see a big difference in the way the kite holds it's air. I see the tips more inflated, thicker and wider. Also that new material looks solid.

A proper review will come later in a month or so. When kites go through some hours of flight. I like the fact that everyone mentioned the flying characteristics are the same like V1. I love how the Soul flies. Smoothest freerider on the planet. And now stiffer airframe. And the jumps in light winds man, those were sick in the review. That guy on the foil did 16m he said. And it was lightwind conditions on a foil. I totally understand him though as I did 13m with 7sec in 15kn on my 129 twintip and the 10m Soul V1.
I have trouble sleeping i must admit. Waiting for my Soul V2.
These users thanked the author Soleas for the post:
deldenk (Tue May 04, 2021 11:32 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:07 pm

Soleas wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:50 pm
Wait. Hang on there a sec. Those are brand new first time in the air kites. I remember the day I first flew my Soul 10m. I was complaining that it wasn't turning fast and needed a lot of input for it to turn. I had to pull the steering line all the time. Also it was empty at the bar, no bar pressure and not much power. And the tips were folding.
The lines need some hours to stretch and after the first 20 hours or so they need to be checked and trimmed again at the mixer. Well, after the 20 hours and the final trim the Soul came alive. It was and still is now 2 years later amazing in all aspects.
So I can relate to the guy in the review vid saying that it needs some input to turn, tips folding etc. But I do see a big difference in the way the kite holds it's air. I see the tips more inflated, thicker and wider. Also that new material looks solid.

A proper review will come later in a month or so. When kites go through some hours of flight. I like the fact that everyone mentioned the flying characteristics are the same like V1. I love how the Soul flies. Smoothest freerider on the planet. And now stiffer airframe. And the jumps in light winds man, those were sick in the review. That guy on the foil did 16m he said. And it was lightwind conditions on a foil. I totally understand him though as I did 13m with 7sec in 15kn on my 129 twintip and the 10m Soul V1.
I have trouble sleeping i must admit. Waiting for my Soul V2.
Thank you, someone gets it. These kites need at least 5 hours to break in minimum. I won’t get my hands on one for almost another three weeks due to work but I’ll be putting it through the tests. As I said before, this is more of an evolution than revolution. My concerns are drift and if trimming it will really make a difference. Since I’ve been doing more tt lately, I ordered another 8m for kiteloops and I want to see if trimming it with more arc will help in that. Also got a 6m coming but that’s mainly because I’ve used my old V1 6m to the point the graphics are wearing off. Amazingly I have yet to mess with the bridle as well.

Kristan
Frequent Poster

Postby Kristan » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:40 pm

I believe said Canadians in review had the kites for quite awhile, but were under NDA to give any info about it. At least I know that one of them have tested it a week ago. So it's most likely that those kites went through the breakdown process.

But it's still quite the crying shame that they did nothing to improve the turning speed and didn't reduce the bar pressure.

sonny2727
Medium Poster
Gear: North, Ozone, Taaroa, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses

Postby sonny2727 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:55 pm

Kristan wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:06 pm
According to review above, there is nothing to lose your mind over. The main issues were not addressed. I don't see the point of upgrading V1 over to V2, unless your V1 is on the verge of death. Those kites are mostly the same. Except for a new price tag.
I think from my experience the biggest issue i have is excess bar pressure and i guess this will not change as the kite is aimed at LEI converts so you can argue it's not an "issue" as advanced riders use Sonic instead. My problem is when using both Sonic and Soul higher bar pressure is more noticeable. Soul 2 is exactly what I expected because given the FS kite range and target market it not easy to change anything:
1. Performance - Cannot increase AR - there needs to be a clear difference to Sonic, plus easier to handle with lower ratio
2. Weight - Aimed at freeriders and beginners, durability is more important. Maybe a UL version for advanced riders
3. Bar pressure - Higher bar pressure to be more like LEI and turning input
4. Colours - who cares
5. Bag - best in the industry
6. bridal length - cannot be too short to access higher wind range
7. Bar - crap - its time FS come up with a click in loop like everyone else
8. Slow inflation and deflation - linked to thickness and prevents shape distortion in light and gusty wind plus relaunchability so cannot reduce.

I'm keeping my V1 for sure.

Return to “Foil Kites”