Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Soul V2?

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun May 02, 2021 4:26 am

^^^ I basically said the same exact thing a page back lol

I think the Soul jumps higher due to the increased turning speed but the Sonic3 has significantly better hang time. Check out the Woo stats, it’s always the Soul that gets the higher numbers.

The only situation where I really prefer my Soul1 10m over my Sonic3 11m is in gusty/shifting unstable air like you find on smaller inland lakes. Also in the waves, the Soul is a little easier/less need to watch. It’s just drifts better without having to worry about bow ties and the sort.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Sun May 02, 2021 5:41 am

It would be interesting to hear if they tried to change kite much or they assumed it best as it is and only minor changes were allowed.

With such a few changes I wonder how much v1 would be discounted?

New colors look great 👍

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Sun May 02, 2021 5:41 am

It would be interesting to hear if they tried to change kite much or they assumed it best as it is and only minor changes were allowed.

New colors look great 👍

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sun May 02, 2021 9:45 am

SolarSet wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 5:41 am

New colors look great 👍
Never change a running system!

Only small adjustments. :thumb:

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Sun May 02, 2021 8:53 pm

yeah...

i passed on picking up the V2 soul..

nothing negative at all.. but i just dont't really see or feel a differences from the v1.
literally exactly the same in air.
wel.. besides that kewl new color(2). (maybe thats good for most folks)
a shame, actually.

for my planned kite acquisitions for 2021
i'll pick up that 6m gin freeriding kite once back in usa... and maybe(possibly) join the evil empire and buy a small wing thing. (for those days a 3m peak is over powered for swell raiding)

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Sun May 02, 2021 10:13 pm

elguapo wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:53 pm
yeah...

i passed on picking up the V2 soul..

nothing negative at all.. but i just dont't really see or feel a differences from the v1.
literally exactly the same in air.
wel.. besides that kewl new color(2). (maybe thats good for most folks)
a shame, actually.

for my planned kite acquisitions for 2021
i'll pick up that 6m gin freeriding kite once back in usa... and maybe(possibly) join the evil empire and buy a small wing thing. (for those days a 3m peak is over powered for swell raiding)
maybe the "issue" is not with new Soul but our expectations as now after 2/3 years of rapid development foil kite design and materials have evolved to the same level as LEI. Meaning the innovation curve has flatted and only incremental changes are possible until a new material is discovered.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun May 02, 2021 10:41 pm

Forgive me for being thick - it would be great if someone could work out how to get a foil kite like the Soul to turn faster. I’m not sure I quite get why this is not possible. The Soul in particular once inflated is a really solid kite in the sky, so why is there not a way to make a bridle system that will make it turn a bit less like the Titanic especially in the larger sizes?

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 186lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
9m XR7
12m Evo Dlab
12m & 15m FS Sonic 4
TT: Boardschmiede 135x40
Foil: North Sonar 1150cm2

Postby Gestalt » Mon May 03, 2021 12:17 am

andylc wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 10:41 pm
Forgive me for being thick - it would be great if someone could work out how to get a foil kite like the Soul to turn faster. I’m not sure I quite get why this is not possible. The Soul in particular once inflated is a really solid kite in the sky, so why is there not a way to make a bridle system that will make it turn a bit less like the Titanic especially in the larger sizes?
I wonder if anyone has experimented around with a hybrid foil/lei design. Where you could use something like Aluula to provide a strong rigid frame (with or without bladder) and use the light foil fabric with ram air intakes (still using a closed cell design) to create the rest of the wing/canopy so it maintains it's high aspect ratio and boosting properties. If it was creatively engineered in the right way, I wonder if Aluula could be used to replace for example the fiberglass rods (as in the VMG) to create more structural rigidity. You could possibly dramatically reduce bridles with this kind of construction, increase rigidity, increase responsiveness, etc.

Aluula at 82 g/m2 may still not be light enough however. We may need to wait for a new material that has similar properties to Aluula and is closer in weight to the fabric being used in the foils now which is in the low ~30's g/m2. My hope is that new materials will give rise to new designs that are just not possible with current technology.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Mon May 03, 2021 2:42 am

andylc wrote:

use shorter lines.

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.

Postby Skywalker7 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:36 am

andylc wrote:
In case of bigger sizes you need to calculate that the wind flow over the kite is slower as well. Like if you are driving a car with 8 mile an hour you can't realy do some wild slalom course because you are just too slow and you cant get the same dynamic turns as if you would drive 25 or 40 miles an hour speed. Most Lei users tries a 15M foil kite in 12 knots and then comparing it to his 11M Lei in 20-25 knots, which is stupid. He should compare it to 19M Lei in 12 knots and then he gets a correct answer.

Tips to make the Soul faster turning:
-use bigger bar, 60 cm for 15 and 12M Soul.
-Definitely grab the bar at widest position some Lei riders still try to hold them in the middle just like a 7-9m Lei.
-Shorten the rear lines 2-3 cm, this definitely does help.
-Consider use line extensions, if you want more power, as line extensions are enables you to put the kite more into the power zone. The 15, 18, and 21 M definitely needs a 3 M extenision in lighter winds.
-Use the Infinity bar and not the Force bar, Infinity bars has a slightly wider "stance" where you can hold them and buy this you can use more force for the turning.

The above settings should handle every turning problem you might have but there is still one more theoretical idea:

Souls were designed with the idea that they could do a wide powerfull loop without the sides going into a negative spin (just like the Sonic does), this enables less experienced riders to generate a lot of power in the loop or turns. If you shorten the Z bridle lines the way that the Z lines are a bit shorter close to the tip of the kite then you will get a faster turn. Chances are high that you might cause other problems, such as slightly less performance or maybe less stability by changing the reflex profile.
Last edited by Skywalker7 on Mon May 03, 2021 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Foil Kites”