Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Re: Soul V2?

Postby Soleas » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:52 pm

Excess bar pressure? What, the Soul? Sorry, I'm not trying to be ironic i just have a different experience with the Soul. What size bar are you flying the Soul with? I have flown many many, many kites in my career and the Soul has the lightest bar pressure of all. I have not tried the Sonic. Even lighter sounds good but it's pretty light to me as it is. I fly the 10m Soul and I've flown the 12 and 15 several times. Even the 15m was very light.
Ok I come from inflatables and the Soul feels like nothing. Inflatables from back to the future. I'm not a big guy i'm a light weight but coming from the 2 line kite era and windsurfing probably has an effect on how I feel barpressure.
These users thanked the author Soleas for the post:
deldenk (Tue May 04, 2021 12:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sat May 01, 2021 12:10 am

Soleas wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:52 pm
Excess bar pressure? What, the Soul? Sorry, I'm not trying to be ironic i just have a different experience with the Soul. What size bar are you flying the Soul with? I have flown many many, many kites in my career and the Soul has the lightest bar pressure of all. I have not tried the Sonic. Even lighter sounds good but it's pretty light to me as it is. I fly the 10m Soul and I've flown the 12 and 15 several times. Even the 15m was very light.
Ok I come from inflatables and the Soul feels like nothing. Inflatables from back to the future. I'm not a big guy i'm a light weight but coming from the 2 line kite era and windsurfing probably has an effect on how I feel barpressure.
All relative! I was in the video and am a Soul and Sonic owner. Soul 2 is same as 1 and both are waaay heavier than Sonic. High AR=less bar pressure....its physics.

I'd call the v2 pretty much identical to v1 with construction and fabric advantages aside, which will always advance. I also feel that my sense of sluggish responsiveness is related to mixer tune of a clearly already well enjoyed kite and the fact that most souls do better with slightly shortened steering lines. I fly all my kites on 60 cm bars. If I had gone with a 50 it would have been even less "frisky".

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ice101 » Sat May 01, 2021 12:21 am

Kristan wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:40 pm
I believe said Canadians in review had the kites for quite awhile, but were under NDA to give any info about it. At least I know that one of them have tested it a week ago. So it's most likely that those kites went through the breakdown process.

But it's still quite the crying shame that they did nothing to improve the turning speed and didn't reduce the bar pressure.
Why does the bar pressure need changing. There is hardly any bar pressure on them anyway especially when you compare to lei which are like tanks on comparison?

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 186lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
9m XR7
12m Evo Dlab
12m & 15m FS Sonic 4
TT: Boardschmiede 135x40
Foil: North Sonar 1150cm2

Postby Gestalt » Sat May 01, 2021 1:04 am

cwood wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:10 am
All relative! I was in the video and am a Soul and Sonic owner. Soul 2 is same as 1 and both are waaay heavier than Sonic. High AR=less bar pressure....its physics.

I'd call the v2 pretty much identical to v1 with construction and fabric advantages aside, which will always advance. I also feel that my sense of sluggish responsiveness is related to mixer tune of a clearly already well enjoyed kite and the fact that most souls do better with slightly shortened steering lines. I fly all my kites on 60 cm bars. If I had gone with a 50 it would have been even less "frisky".
I'm getting a new Sonic3 11m and 15m and wondering what size bar to get for both? I take it 55cm-60cm for the 15m, but what is ideal for a 11m?

Also in the Soulv2 video looked like it was flown with 26m line lengths? Not sure if that was just one person or everyone. I thought standard infinity bar line length is 20m. Wondering what kind of impact that has, and what people prefer.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Sat May 01, 2021 1:09 am

Gestalt wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:04 am
cwood wrote:

I'm getting a new Sonic3 11m and 15m and wondering what size bar to get for both? I take it 55cm-60cm for the 15m, but what is ideal for a 11m?

Also in the Soulv2 video looked like it was flown with 26m line lengths? Not sure if that was just one person or everyone. I thought standard infinity bar line length is 20m. Wondering what kind of impact that has, and what people prefer.
I fly 60 on all from 8m Soul and above. No brainer 60 on 11m Sonic.
These users thanked the author cwood for the post:
Gestalt (Sat May 01, 2021 1:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Sat May 01, 2021 1:25 am

cwood i read about the lighter bar pressure on the Sonic but is it that much of a difference from the Soul? That would be nice. I was thinking of getting a Sonic 11m to replace my 10m Soul. To have a little better low end performance on a tt.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Sat May 01, 2021 1:32 am

Better low end on a TT might be debatable. I'm a foiler and booster and the Souls have better power spike. Definitely lower bar pressure though.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sat May 01, 2021 8:07 am

I’m confused why everyone wants lower bar pressure? A bit of pressure is what you want for bar feedback, without it you get that weird foil feeling where you can’t feel anything the kite is doing. I thought bar pressure was a good feature of the Soul - lighter than an LEI but not completely woolly feeling like earlier foils I had used.
Turning speed is all I’d be wanting to improve, and the main reason I ditched Souls and went back to LEIs.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Sat May 01, 2021 8:19 am

Soleas wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:52 pm
I had 12m Soul with 50cm Infinity bar.

And I say that the bar pressure was biiiitch. It was so hard it pinched nerves in my elbows during transitions, which was quite painful. It's a good thing that Soul is quite static kite and doesn't require much sining, but when it does, if wind drops, that's when it turns into a gym session, rather than kiting. Whenever I go off the water for a mid session break, what was tired the most were not my legs, abs or back, but the arms. And I definitely weren't able to control it with one arm on the bar. Folks have suggested that I should lengthen some lines in the bridles to reduce the bar pressure, but I didn't arse to do that. Yet that option could've been made tunable on V2 like it is on LEIs.

High bar pressure was one of the main reasons why I got rid of the Soul. Now I have a LEI kite and the bar pressure on it was feathery, which felt really weird, so I have set it up for higher bar pressure and it was still not as hard as it was on Soul.

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Postby PabloQ » Sat May 01, 2021 10:36 am

cwood wrote:

Consult, since you have both models. I have in mind that due to its characteristics the sonic has a greater hang time, but the peaks of heights are less? I imagine him being slower at the controls when passing the window and being less aggressive at the moment of jumping and getting the energy to flow upwards. What reference can you give me. Thanks

Return to “Foil Kites”