Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon
Brand Affiliation: None

R1 V2 aspect ratio and compare to Sonic 3

Postby sonny2727 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:38 pm

Hi Guys,
Couldn't find this info on Google..anyone knows aspect ratio of R1 V2 8M kite ..want to compare R1 V2 to FS Sonic 3 to get an idea about wind range and stability in high winds ..specifically compare Sonic 3 9M to R1 8 or 9M...Not sure high aspect is best for 20-30kts or Soul/hyperlink is better..
Thanks

Skywalker7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sostó
Favorite Beaches: Ulcinj
Style: Freeride
Gear: I have 14 kites, covering most of the major brands.
Has thanked: 0

Re: R1 V2 aspect ratio and compare to Sonic 3

Postby Skywalker7 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:50 pm

Hi,
The aspect ratio does not tell the full story. Profile shape and profile thickness and line settings, valve positions (kite pressure) add up to the whole picture. I have the Sonic 3 11 which has 6.8 A/R but since it is a freerace kite it is a very stable kite. I only can tell that stability is way more stable than any Flysurfer Sonics before and even some Speed kites. I had the Soul 10 and riding the Soul 9m now and they are great easy to use kites with good performance. I only flew the hyperlink 2 13m but it was a slow turning kite and low perfomance kite. Go for the Sonic 3 :)

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:12 am

All 3 of the kites yoy mention are used by my buddies at the beach I use, and we all sail together quite often, and I have flown the R1 v3 and own a range of hyperlinks v2 v1 and v4 chrono,
if your into bridal line maintenance and understand that complexity and are well into flying foil kites then ok, a v2 R1 and sonic will sit in the group to consider,
if not then your looking at the hyperlink v2 as it requires little or no adjustments over the life of the kite, and the exact same high spec bridal is used on the chrono kites v3 and v4,again same story little or no messing with bridals and pulleys.

if stability on small sizes is number one consideration in a blow then hyperlink v2 in sizes 9mtr and under is the kite to look at, 7 and 9mtr are gems.

For good stability with race like qualities, and amazing boosting,the R1 v3 is for the guys who are more technically minded and need a rush of speed with only a few downsides in regards to long term maintenance, you need higher skills to keep the kite from loosing pressure due to poor handling, but its a gem in the right hands.
sonic is maybe not so stable especially if into boosting, and you will find the water surface more often during a month of use if you are less skilled,

Sonic bridals are more high maintenance in the long run with lower quality pulleys and cotton thread like bridal line, same thin bridal line found on the R1and Sonic/Soul and older Chrono kites v1 and v2.
So it all depends on your skill level and how you view your requirements from the kite, the new Chrono v4 is not far apart from the R1 and Sonic v3 but with more stability and top drawer low or no maintenance bridals, but its only available in sizes 11mtr and above, way too big for big winds.
All of us here on our spot love our foil kites and they are the correct kites for us as different individuals, the common theme between us is we all boost huge, and all these kites are supreme at this.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:26 am

This needs to be said:

What is the difference between bridal and bridle?
bridal/ bridle

Bridal is related to a bride, but bridle refers to a part of a kites rigging. Although the words sound the same, they run in different circles unless you're getting a kite ready for a wedding.

To be on topic: I think the sonic 3 will be a bit more stable compared to the r1v2 (or v3, that is even less stable and needs constant tuning) Too many other parameters to say anything about aspect ratio vs windrange.

What is better depends on what you want to do with it. Sonic will me more floaty jumps, less tight loops and more foilkite skills needed compared to the Soul. The soul you can treat like a tube kite, virtually impossible to get it wrapped to a point you can not recover it in the winds you want to use it in.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
mgs (Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:23 am

Thanks everyone and Evan's clarification re-Bridal is hilarious :)
I haven't mentioned what kites I ride..most of the time Sonic 3 11M and love this kite from winds 15-22knots..abolutely stable ...not my favourite for very light stuff as the kite is heavy and wingtips fold unless u have light wind skills..I'm average,,,and also own a 10m R1 V2 and which picked up second hand for peanuts hence the question since if you own a smaller kite for say 10% of the days then maybe a low budget second hand will do the job..what i do with any kite is boosting as everything else is boring..
Problem with selecting a high wind kite for hydrofoil boosting is not easy when I look at the variables ...25-30kts is definitely gusty in most places including mine and wind can easily drop 5-10kts during the session - I'm not in Cape Town ..But if you have higher stability kite like Hyperlink or Soul then they are not good for Hydrofoil with heavy bar pressure and in a way less wind range because you cant park them at the edge of the window..so prefer freerace or race kites ..i cannot test any of these kites in high wind hence I'm asking other who use them. Either way it's going to be a compromise and looking at the sizes Sonic 3 comes only 9m so maybe not enough gap with current 11m...another variable to the mix is timing and bar feel...its not easy to adjust if I go from 11m sonic to say 7m hyperlink since we are talking about boosting you have to have a perfect feel for the kite..
I do agree with Foil on Ozone Bridal/bridel/brydal ..I have seen anyone complaining so FS having superior one is without evidence ..why adjust if you dont need to ..
Also not sure if FS will release a smaller Sonic like 7m...which i think could be a better size..currently i have a 6m Ozone Edge and that does the job but as Foil say it doesnt have advantages of a foil kite but it does well on rainy days

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:21 pm

One that may suit you from what you say above is the Chrono v3 UL, I have used it in 7 and 9 for high winds,
the 7mtr which I was using only a few weeks ago I used back to back with my 7mtr hyperlink v2, and the chrono 7mtr ul was just superb, silky smooth, extraordinarily light on the bar, shoots to the edge of the window in the gusts (something you mention that you like) massive range of course partly due to its racing freeride qualities,
boosting is supreme with good float(considering its small size)
it's easy to relaunch, but this is where the hyperlink wins as it's mega easy to water relaunch, with no fails in a year of use, the H'link has massive range, but stability in gusty winds goes to the small chrono.

Finding one may be the issue, however my buddy who owns the kite may well be selling his if he finds the right price R1 V3 7mtr, he already has the 9mtr R1 V3, and has asked on the kite racing forum (last week) for anyone to tell him if a 7mtr R1 v3 may be coming up for sale.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
sonny2727 (Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”