Flysurfer soul 7m and 9m vs other sizes

For all foil kite riders
Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer soul 7m and 9m vs other sizes

Postby Ice101 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:13 am

I think that’s what I meant by more power I meant a strong power spike but what can make it twitchy.
I love the bigger Sizes and would love a 12m soul 2 when I it comes. The smaller sizes need a lot of wind and on that higher wind comes more risk with launching for me that was too much risk on the smaller sizes so sold my 8m and gone back to Lei’s for smaller sizes and higher winds. Kept the 10m and 9m ones.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:55 pm

i'm going to get a 7metre for landboarding ,my mate had a spd1 7metre landboarding many moons ago and it was his most ridden kite
i wouldn't judge a kite in gusty shit if you can manage to fly in gusty thumpy wind then its a good kite and absorbs gusts well

from a landboarding point of view the soul is brilliant as it gives you the delicate control you need landboarding :thumb:
in a strong wind 1sq metre of kite can make a massive difference
Last edited by slide on Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Postby PabloQ » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:35 pm

Dear, I have been using a 10m soul for almost three seasons. and I got the juice out of it. I recently bought a 7m and it's something else. It is to compare a muscular sedan with a sports car. The vertical momentum is tremendous, constant and with a great hang time. I have had my highest jumps with this kite. Very light bar and in 30 kn only got to use one centimeter of brake. It is very nice upwind, but the most striking thing is the explosiveness when jumping and the great time in the air.
By manual the range is 14 36. And I have tested it in 14 25 and 30 kn. Answer great
Greetings

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:48 pm

PabloQ wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:35 pm
Dear, I have been using a 10m soul for almost three seasons. and I got the juice out of it. I recently bought a 7m and it's something else. It is to compare a muscular sedan with a sports car. The vertical momentum is tremendous, constant and with a great hang time. I have had my highest jumps with this kite. Very light bar and in 30 kn only got to use one centimeter of brake. It is very nice upwind, but the most striking thing is the explosiveness when jumping and the great time in the air.
By manual the range is 14 36. And I have tested it in 14 25 and 30 kn. Answer great
Greetings
I agree 100% , My old favorite boosting kite was my 13m Sonic 2. 7m Soul is definitely my new favorite boosting kite!!

Was out today on my sonic 3 13m on 13m lines powered up just right on the foil for boosting, switched to my 7m soul with 13m lines and didnt have enough juice to get much air.

I swapped my bar to 30m lines on the 7m and was boosting to the moon! Wind was only around 18-20 kts. I actually prefer the 7m on 30m lines over the 13m with short lines for boosting

I think I got me a 2 kite quiver!

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Postby PabloQ » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 pm

darippah wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:48 pm
. I actually prefer the 7m on 30m lines over the 13m with short lines for boosting

I think I got me a 2 kite quiver!
Yes it sounds very logical, but at +30 kn the 7m with 13 / 15m lines must be a rocket. The acceleration achieved with short lines is quickly translated into height. I still couldn't test it under those conditions. But I think it would work wonders. Greetings

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:00 am

i'm old boring and steady , i got a brand new set of 21metre 500kg lines (slav) and an old flysurfer bar off of an old speed1 7metre proto , heavy and fast with lots of vents ,but now cosigned to my storage area in my kite storage facility :D

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:51 pm

Ice101 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:13 am
] The smaller sizes need a lot of wind and on that higher wind comes more risk with launching for me that was too much risk on the smaller sizes so sold my 8m and gone back to Lei’s for smaller sizes and higher winds. Kept the 10m and 9m ones.
Sorry but I highly disagree. My 6m has a huge range and I have no problems self launching/landing in 25kts+. Just practice makes perfect. I think for the next gen though I'll get the 7m.

=J-

darippah
Very Frequent Poster

Postby darippah » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:51 pm
Ice101 wrote:
] The smaller sizes need a lot of wind and on that higher wind comes more risk with launching for me that was too much risk on the smaller sizes so sold my 8m and gone back to Lei’s for smaller sizes and higher winds. Kept the 10m and 9m ones.
Sorry but I highly disagree. My 6m has a huge range and I have no problems self launching/landing in 25kts+. Just practice makes perfect. I think for the next gen though I'll get the 7m.

=J-
What’s your process to self land in 25+?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:11 pm

darippah wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Ice101 wrote:

=J-
Same as most of my landings. Bring it to the edge, backstall and run upwind at same time. Walk up the lines(not as difficult since it's a small size). If at anytime it gets out of hand due to gusts/wind shifts(which are common at high speeds), you just release one side of the lines, keep the remainder as close to ground as possible, and continue to walk up. This essentially flags out the kite and keeping the lines on/near the ground helps prevent spinning. Easy

darippah
Very Frequent Poster

Postby darippah » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:19 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:11 pm
darippah wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:

=J-
Same as most of my landings. Bring it to the edge, backstall and run upwind at same time. Walk up the lines(not as difficult since it's a small size). If at anytime it gets out of hand due to gusts/wind shifts(which are common at high speeds), you just release one side of the lines, keep the remainder as close to ground as possible, and continue to walk up. This essentially flags out the kite and keeping the lines on/near the ground helps prevent spinning. Easy

Yup that's what I do too, but I always seem to end up letting go of one side and the kite spins, it helps to keep the lines low for sure!

Return to “Foil Kites”