peak 13 vs chrono/hyperlink 13's

For all foil kite riders
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

peak 13 vs chrono/hyperlink 13's

Postby papasmerf » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:43 pm

has anyone ever even flown the ozone foils for light wind AND the peak 13 to compare? or switched from one to the other? for kitefoiling of course.

like the ultralight v3 chronos or v4's or hyperlink v2's? they both come in 13m,,,was wondering how they overall perform (not counting water relaunch) compared to each other. is it a no brainer for lightwind use to get the peak 13?

yes i have read approximately a million posts of the peak thread (about .0000001%)

let's leave water relaunch out of it, and upwind-ness. does the 13m peak have the same power as a chrono 13m as you dive it or loop it? or hyperlink 13? are there pulleys on the peak? same amazing wind range as the chrono or hyperlink?

just wondering.

The reason I am asking is I’m always up for trying something new, I am considering a 13 peak for as light of wind as I can foil in

My 11m Chrono v3 ul fell out during a lull the other day. And I consider that kite to be simply amazing at light wind But I have had a few instances where I can fly it but it just doesn’t seem to have enough power to get going

Has anyone switched to a 13 m peak from a Chrono v3 ul 13/15m or a hyperlink v2 13m and been amazed at the difference? Or not been impressed?

To be more clear my question is this,,,obviously the peak 13 will fly in like 3 mph but what mph does it need to really get you up and going. (Average kiter with 1200 foil)

Perhaps it needs 7-8 mph to get the power, in which case a 13m v4 will fly in that and also have the better chance of relaunch. However, if the wind is marginal, not steady 7, but more 3-8, then the peak will stay aloft in lulls.
Thanks
Last edited by papasmerf on Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: peak 13 vs chrono/hyperlink 13's

Postby plummet » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:37 pm

I have ridden in the kite buggy. hyperlink 12, chrono V1 (mine) and Peek 8m (not sure what version the Peak was).

In order of most to least favorite.
Chrono, Has more fire breathing dragon, better upwind less stable.
Hyperlink, Very stable but a bit bland. Good upwind but not as good as chrono. (would be a good stable option for the foil if not racing)
Peak, Slow to turn and terrible upwind... but very stable. My least favorite. I would not want a big peak. They might be better in the small size. But the big sizes.... Very very dull.

PS I have ridden newer versions of the Chrono and they are closer to the hyperlink in performance. The first chrono is really a less stable n R1. Super light weight kevlar bridles, cranked speed and upwind performance.

PSS I also ridden 13m and 18m chronos and speeds.......... In ultralight winds (sub 7 knots) the 13m and 18 mtr will get you out sooner on the foil. But they also top out sooner.
I can start from 6 knots in my 12m chrono. with pocket board and 600cm2 front wind. But really want 8 knots.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:01 pm

Power spike or "peak power" is the amount of sudden power surge the kite provides when flown through the wind window.

Power spike is critical to lift you out of the water in marginal conditions (4 to 6 knots). The Flysurfer Peak, despite it's name does not have good "peak power" or power spike, therefore it's low-end for riding hydrofoil will never be as good as a double skin foil kite which have excellent peak power when looped/ flown through the wind window (Chrono/ Hyperlink/ Soul/ R1/ etc....).

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:21 pm

You can’t really compare a single skin to a traditional foil, much different beasts.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:29 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:21 pm
You can’t really compare a single skin to a traditional foil, much different beasts.
Well, I think folks who have flown both could certainly have an opinion on which one worked better for them in very light wind foiling. Like I said, leaving out relaunchability and upwind ability.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:40 pm

for sure the peak 13m will still fly when all other kites swim and if we are discussing ultra light wind there will always be moments when you ride in to a area with less wind and drop the kite. Since the peak missing the power peak you will need a pretty big board to get going with the peak in ultra light wind.

conclusion: you most likely can start earlier with most modern light weight twin skin kites but they will also drop out earlier then the peak. could be nice to be able to body drag back with the kite in the air instead of water pack down and swim.

27-30 m lines is preferred in light wind with the peak.

No kite is really fast in light wind they are all kind of dull.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:17 pm

Atte wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:40 pm
conclusion: you most likely can start earlier with most modern light weight twin skin kites but they will also drop out earlier then the peak.
I agree except the Conceptair Pulsion 27gr that hangs in the air similarly to the peak when you work both properly; they do not stay in the air the same way; but the result is similar ;

Pulsion (15m or 18m) is to me the current ultimate lowest wind kite if your goal is to hydrofoil in the lightest wind possible ; Kitech FRS 27gr 18m should be a good competitor but not tested personally.
(ok it is not the topic, I know, sorry)

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:49 pm

Interesting question, I’ve just purchased a 10 mtr Soul for this coming light wind season. I have a 15 mtr Sonic 3 but it becomes a handful in the ultra light stuff. I’m planning to put the Soul on 30 mtr lines to give a good power spike and use with an 800 sqcm very thin front wing. Aiming for a good session in around 5-6 knots.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm

Peak magic sizes are 3,4,5. In bigger sizes i much prefer other kites

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:56 pm

tomtom wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm
Peak magic sizes are 3,4,5. In bigger sizes i much prefer other kites

You dont like the 6?

I find it (6 m2) the perfect light wind wave kite for average weights - 11 and13 are only for ease of getting out fast, and no risk that they drop, if wind drops, and the 8 goes somewhat lower so in between but also slow. Use it a lot though.
Agree, big Peak4s are not pushing the low end compared to efficient UltraLight double skin foil kites.

8) Peter

Return to “Foil Kites”