For all foil kite riders
Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: sonic 2 18m for light wind foiling

Postby Carlos_C » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:43 am

Am 70 kg and my light wind is a sonic II 13.....I have tried lots of bigger foils and with my weight can't do much with them - my buddy who is around 100 KG sails to the moon on his 15 mt Sonic whereas I struggle to get the timing right on it

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:30 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:36 pm
Nem0 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:32 pm
Regis-de-giens wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:58 pm
Personally from the kite i owned or tested in very light, i would put Pulsion 18 first , then pulsion 15, then PL Aero 17m, then sonic2 exaequo with my "new" Elf joker5 15m.
I learned first flies withmy Onda an 18m Pulsion!
You do not have to care about it in the air!

What about 11m or 13m Peak4?
It stays even longer in the air as Pulsion 18m.

Doesn't work, no peak power, have tried both.
Not really going super low...

But yes, they don't drop, great :wink:

8) Peter
Hi Peter, what do you think of user haiku in his videos
He seems to be making it work. I have great respect for your experience and knowledge

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:59 pm

The Peak looks very unstable in the 2nd video. I see it easily collapses in the turns. I appreciate that the wind is very lighy and there are other advantages to the Peak, but based on this video I would have more confidence using my lightweight closed cell foil kite in these sub 7knot winds.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:30 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:59 pm
The Peak looks very unstable in the 2nd video. I see it easily collapses in the turns. I appreciate that the wind is very lighy and there are other advantages to the Peak, but based on this video I would have more confidence using my lightweight closed cell foil kite in these sub 7knot winds.

Me too for sure,,,but I’ve had my 11m ul Chrono fall out of the sky a couple times which is why I was looking into this peak4. I wonder if a 15m Chrono v4 will stay up in less wind than my 11m

Is a 15m double skin much more efficient than a 11m?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:42 pm

I also find peak not better than a pulsion very light. Even kerping in the air.

Joriws, i applause with 2 hands all your statement and fine analysis.

I am in line with the phases to waterstart and your words on rider's weight linear impact. A 18m for me equals a 36m for you , and with even longer lines to keep the same glide during looping ... this, to me , highliths that, sadly and unfortunatelly, there is no justice for marginal wind competition between riders... a light guy will ride sooner because i doubt one 36m kite with 40m lines and a 2400 hydrofoil wing will ever be practicable ;-)

Now on this one :
joriws wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:01 am
I wonder your drive to 18m kites (with lower aspect) if you are 60-70kg, when I with almost double of your weight and required force impulse to ride I can do my stuff with 15m foil kites (already a couple of generations ago model) in proven light wind **with door-twintip when "LW"-LEI kites cannot climb to zenith**. IMO you don't need 18m kite's impulse to do your HF stuff, actually smaller kite with less fabric weight & air-inside-mass-inertia and easier to achieve higher flying speed and quicker steering with easier-to-fly-arcs would be much better for you maybe with 23-25m lines to create window room kite to accelerate and generate the impulse. My opinion is that 18m is a waste of fabric for "60kg" person, it was already in pre-historic-dinosaur-twintip-era when our local 60kg-kiter with 19m Speed3DLX was saying it is too much force with twintip already for their weight in our famous light winds. I am 110kg and 18m kite is waste of fabric for me.
There is very low gain in low end between pulsion 12 and 15 and now 18. My preference to tje 18m in marginal wind is pleasure to get power and speed under 6 knots. But there is some. I still gain some low end, in the range of 0.5 to 1 knots between 12 m and 18m.

I am not professional but riding foil kites for 10 years now and tested or own more than 20 models... just to argue that i have some good piloting expérience now on snow and water. No flowers to me, Just for you to sincerly believe me that i save some low end from 18m to 12m. 1 year ago, i tested 12 m during 20 minutes , figthed and failed to waterstart despite multi loops, compact body, pumping, ect ..., , then took the 18m and rode direct at first trial without loop, for a winderful session. Kite turning low, you are right, but good speed and slowwwwww jumps that i like.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:07 pm

i've just brought sonic2 11metre and i'll be refering to useful sonic threads for education , i'always loved fast foils and i'm looking forward to first flight on a hard beach and a smooth wind on my landboard :D :D

Return to “Foil Kites”