Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Assateague, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Mauritania
Style: Free Style
Gear: Slingshot, Crazyfly, RE, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force
Brand Affiliation: None

Pansh Aurora III vs A15

Postby Iridian » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:00 pm

Thinking about getting an Aurora 3 or an A15 in Ultralight. Sized to 15m for light wind foiling. Seems like the Aurora is on sale, not sure which one would be better for me though.

I have a really shitty launch spot with constant gusts and lulls. Looking to get out in lower wind than my NV 13.5 will do. The NV has plenty of power but I can't keep it in the air. Front stalls or backstalls constantly thanks to the gustiness.

Which kite between the two would you recommend for gusty river use considering the price differential?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pansh Aurora III Vs A15

Postby Matteo V » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:23 pm

The conditions you are describing may not be conducive to either.

I think the A15 is a good value in a kite and it is fairly stable, but there are better options. Its main drawback is its reactiveness, or lack thereof.

Inherent stability of a kite is pretty self explanatory. Basically if you do nothing, or dont really give the kite any corrective or preventive inputs, the kite just resists catastrophic failure such as front stall.

Reactive stability of a kite is the ability of a kite to be quickly corrected by a skilled rider to prevent catastrophic failure.

The best kite for the reactive property I have ever flown is the Chrono v2. The best kite for just plain inherent stability would be the Naish Ride.

And I think you will find that for gustiness, an inflatable will always have more inherent stability, while a foil will always be more capable as far as reactive capabilities. Thus if you are having a hard time with an inflatable, you may have to fine tune your flying skills even more with a foil.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:27 pm

I have a Aurora 3 15m but I haven't tried the A15 I think the A15 should be more stable because it's lower aspect but the Genesis would be even more stable for foiling. Normally and inflatable kite should be more stable than a foil kite in super gusty wind however Liquid Force kites are very heavy so this might be the problem in very light wind.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:03 pm

If the 13.5m lei has “plenty of power” but falls in lulls then a 15m foil kite will be way too much in the gusts, it will surge and loft you, overshoot and collapse. 11 or 12m foil kite is more likely to work for you in those conditions and also will turn faster and not overshoot the window as much so you can work the kite to keep it in the air in unstable wind. The difference between a 10-12m foil kite and a 15m is huge in terms of handling and ease of use, especially in bad wind!

A 12m light weight single strut or strutless LEI might be a better bet though. I make my 11m Diablo work in those winds you describe but only with expert kite control and it’s so much more stressful than an Lei.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jyoder » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:15 pm

Pansh genesis is a joke. I bought into the jakomixer hype after watching some YouTube and got two 10m Genesis rigged up with jackomixer for friends and demo a couple times. It’s a good intro to foil kites for someone scared and inexperienced but is a pig of a kite to fly. Huge bar pressure, horrendous low end, turns slow, and power delivery curve is very different than other foils and Lei.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:15 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:23 pm

I think the A15 is a good value in a kite and it is fairly stable, but there are better options. Its main drawback is its reactiveness, or lack thereof.

I put the Jackomixer, on my A15 ultralight , and it's Still stable, and i
can turn it with one hand, rather Easily ; so i'm not completely certain,
what your talking about ?

I use that kite a Lot, with my buggy, on the dry-lake, and the grassy
park at night. It's by-Far ; my favorite kite , in light wind !!
Jyoder wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:15 pm
Pansh genesis is a joke. I bought into the jakomixer hype after watching some YouTube and got two 10m Genesis rigged up with jackomixer for friends and demo a couple times. It’s a good intro to foil kites for someone scared and inexperienced but is a pig of a kite to fly. Huge bar pressure, horrendous low end, turns slow, and power delivery curve is very different than other foils and Lei.
The jackomixer works just Fine ; it was your choice of kites to
utilize on that Sucks !! :roll:

Bille

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Pansh Aurora III vs A15

Postby Jyoder » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:53 pm

You may be right, Bille. I should not equate bad kite with bad mixer. A15 might be a different story with Jacko mod.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
Bille (Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:07 pm

Bille wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:15 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:23 pm

I put the Jackomixer, on my A15 ultralight , and it's Still stable, and i
can turn it with one hand, rather Easily ; so i'm not completely certain,
what your talking about ?

I use that kite a Lot, with my buggy, on the dry-lake, and the grassy
park at night. It's by-Far ; my favorite kite , in light wind !!
Yea, it's a good kite, but it's on par with the Flysurfer speed series. Reguardless of bar pressure, it turns slow like the older Flysurfer kites. It also has unreactive stall turn capability. It is a good and stable "park and ride" kite.

The Chrono V2 is much more reactive. Its stall turning capabilities are not exceeded by any kite with smooth power curve (though old school foils that are junk can beat it at that). And its turning speed is good even when stall is not accessed.

Bottom line is that it takes a lot longer to get the A15 from one spot to another, than it takes the Chrono V2.

And if you have a good feel for foil kites, the speed at which you can move the kite, will definetly allow you to keep it up in the air through worse turbulence.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
Bille (Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:42 pm

be very careful when Pansh Aurora v3 kites are tempting you to buy, this last 8 months I have spent a fair bit of time trying to get a brand new one, fresh out of the bag one to fly in lightish airs,
not mine but bought by a non foil kite user for 250 US dollars, who asked me to show him how the set it up and fly it, I failed, just made myself look a fool on the beach, it was a pig, in every way, did its own thing in the air, just no power, crazy steering behaviour, and just kept falling out of the sky, luckily I did not take it to the water, unlike the owner who did, he crashed it continuously without ever getting a good run in, he ripped it when he hit the beach with it, and it was away at the repair shop for 3 days, came back and asked me again to look at it but I told him it was not a kite I could relate to, it was either very badly designed or the kite was a rare bad one,
it did look great from a distance though, in striking red and white colours, and at a distance I kept from it,
that day he had to be rescued as it would not relaunch, he packed up and never returned, then just a few months back i got a message from a local guy who was super excited about his latest bargain purchase, and he asked me to have a look at it next day at the beach, he said it was a foil kite, like new, and he only paid £50 for it, he did not know what make or model it was, but £50 ?? it could not be another Aurora v3, could it?
next day he pulled the kite from the bag and it was red and white and looked new, I pulled it open to reveal big lettering, "made in china" and just let it go and tried not to be too harsh, he wanted me to try fly it but I declined the offer, steve though who is one of the best foil kite flyers around was excited to give this new kite a try, and even try it on his foil board, he had quite a few problems keeping it in the air on the beach, but I kept my distance as I would just be so negative and make the owner even more unhappy, eventually i watched steve take it to the water for a try out on his foil, mmmmm, he never got going and he only weighs 72kg, after many attempts he came ashore and let the owner know the kite was maybe a good buggy kite in strong stable winds, but for light airs foiling then maybe not the best, I have never seen that kite return to the beach.
and the previous owner took £50 for it, so what did he make of it I wonder?
by the way it was not the same kite as I tried to fly a few months earlier, the graphics were different, but again the graphics were simply superb.
shame about the kite design.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:01 pm

Foil wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:42 pm
So where do these vids of these kites looking good, come from?

And why do you hear so many users praise these kites?

And how about my own personal experience with the Blaze II being as bad as can be, but the A15 being a great kite where I have flown at least 3 different A15 kites, and they all were fine?

Is there some severe targeted bias? Intentional misinformation supported by higher markup brands? Or is there actual inconsistency in construction?

Return to “Foil Kites”