Boosting on a smaller Soul

For all foil kite riders
RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Boosting on a smaller Soul

Postby RomeUtah » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:47 pm

Hey all,
Finally got to test my 8m soul with 17m line on a real powered day on the water yesterday and I started running into some "fun" issues on load and pop. Wind was 25-35 gusty as hell and the water was lake chop with out any real uniformity, some would say not ideal conditions, but I kinda like them. I would line up a boost throw my kite from 2 to 12, edge, sheet in, and then as im high enough in the air where I don't care to drop out of the sky, i would start either rotating under my kite, or my kite would shift direction of flight. I have no idea, how high i was getting, but there were times I was def above other kiter's kites with the ever so awesome elevator feel. I'm trying to figure out if its user error on take off, or the gusts were coming from a different direction and screwing with my orientation. Any advice on high wind jumping on the smaller kite are appreciated.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Boosting on a smaller Soul

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:47 pm

What do you mean by 'rotating under my kite'? Do you mean spinning into a front or backroll? Or do you mean the kite started to overshoot you in the wind window?

If the latter, its time to start watching videos on heli-loops - or get used to steering the kite back and forth across the top of the window. Both these techniques are designed to maximise the time that the kite is flying directly above you in the zone with max lift.

Congrats on boosting so high!

RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil

Postby RomeUtah » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:28 pm

I feel like i start rotating not on the take off but after being in the air for a second or two... usually with a gust coming through. I think I need to tape myself but usually there is noone who wants to shoot video when the wind blows that well.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:00 pm

agree with nothing2seehere , and i go 11 to 1 and back to 11 and so on , but in higher winds and a fast small kite , i sometimes go 11 to 2 and dip it in and down abit before i go back to 11, and this gives the jump some turbo boost ,did this many times with my pulse2 6metre , but not as yet with my soul 6metre ,but keep the kite moving at all times and take charge of the kite ... i only landboard and i like to be in control at all times during a jump - power to go up and and power to land softly and slowly :D

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:47 pm

if i learn people to landboard or and to jump i always teach them with a fixed bridle handles and a roller in a harness , so then they learn to position the kite properly at all times and depower(cheating) :D can come later :lol:

RomeUtah
Medium Poster

Postby RomeUtah » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:50 pm

I may have to start heli looping it, last time i tried to heli loop the kite, i accidentally power looped it and went for a wild ride... landed but scared myself pretty good

Return to “Foil Kites”