Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Viron 3 6m as stormkite?

For all foil kite riders
eloico
Medium Poster

Re: Flysurfer Viron 3 6m as stormkite?

Postby eloico » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:12 pm

and the other problem is that with very strong wind you have to be super careful with so many lines of a foil kite. It is so easy to get them badly tangled! I got 2 or 3 sessions ruined because of that. Get a small tube for strong wind, 5m2 or less. I am talking about 35+ knots.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:46 am

i've tried foiling with a 4m nova and then 4.5 wave in those 35+ knots washing machine/tropical storm conditions... used shorter than normal lines....but still way too twitchy and jumpy.

my personal favorite high wind kites are tiny clouds. (2.2 ans 2.9)
storms are not the domain of foil kites, imo...

the clouds give just good enough depower....well behaved enough that they don't not require constant user"supervision" such as with waves and nova foil kites.

unfortunately, you hardly ever seen a used 2.2m BRM cloud for sale... they are bit of a unicorn (personally i wouldnt pay $1000us of a kite you may use once...ever)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:58 am

Which was more adapted to storm winds between nova vs wave ? Wave has a good feedback in my spots, safer than LEI from users.

I think FS viron has a too thick profile for high winds and to difficult to turn when sheet out. My ex Viron 4m and 2.5m were a nightmare due to that thick profile to get out in on shore wind: depower was not efficent as the kite stayed too deep in the window.and at zenith...

About small LEI if you prefer in the end, as an expensive BRM alternative, you can sometime find a old trainer kite called Ozone UNO in 2.5m as far as i remember , single strut.

I have bought a single strut Airush trainer " supra" , 2m2, but not tried yet :

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:28 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:58 am
Which was more adapted to storm winds between nova vs wave ? Wave has a good feedback in my spots, safer than LEI from users.

I think FS viron has a too thick profile for high winds and to difficult to turn when sheet out. My ex Viron 4m and 2.5m were a nightmare due to that thick profile to get out in on shore wind: depower was not efficent as the kite stayed too deep in the window.and at zenith...

About small LEI if you prefer in the end, as an expensive BRM alternative, you can sometime find a old trainer kite called Ozone UNO in 2.5m as far as i remember , single strut.

I have bought a single strut Airush trainer " supra" , 2m2, but not tried yet :

"jumping around"= i release line tension...wanting to park. moments later kite is in a different location pulling where i didnt want to go.
maybe a 3m would work well as a storm kite (you'd able to keep bar pressure on..which would stop the jumping around)

the smallest wave i had was 4.5.. in those conditions (the day before that hurricane that hit bahamas passed between turks and DR) it was overpowered.
i compensated by using the shortest lines i could (12m)

the PLKB kite inverted itself in same conditions(to be fair.. was using above listed kite range..with a 12m racing lines)
..and it also un-inverted itself. but that was enough for me for that day..

but personal preference.. i'd prefer not having to look at/worry about a kite period.
especially when being doing something idiotic like attempting to foil in sub0hurricane winds where the sea is in washing machine conditions
looking back i still have no clue how we even got off the beach.

Return to “Foil Kites”