Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airwave

Postby merl » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:56 am

joriws wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:36 am
Just to summarize the small sized "hydrofoil" foil-kite competition which seems to be great for us consumers, hopefully nice cross reviews comes from many consumers:

- Airwave Koala 5m
- ConceptAir Pulsion 6m (or even 3.7m available)
- Flysurfer Soul 6m
- Flysurfer Peak4 4m (maybe similar wind range or would it be 3m?)
- Kitech FRS 6m
- Ozone Hyperlink 5m
- Peter Lynn Nova 4m or 6m
(sorry if I left something out unintentionally, Elf does not have Swift smaller than 8.5m, Aeros, Paraavis, Monjet, HQ did not check)

I already arranged a contact with local Airwave dealer to do a Koala demo before deciding anything on my small foil^2 solution.
I don't know whether these are "great" but can be in the same discussion:
Gin marabou 6, 4m
ConceptAir wave 6.5, 4.5, 3
ConceptAir firefly 6, 4, 2.5, 1.5
Pansh Genesis, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.5, 2

B-Roc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Nahant, MA
Style: Kite landboarding and skiing
Gear: Gin, JOJO, Mac Para, Ozone, Flexifoil, Ground Industries, MBS

Postby B-Roc » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm

geokite wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:16 pm
I'm curious how well a 32 cell 5m kite does. That is a lot of cells, so a lot of performance, for a high wind kite. Opposite to what I want in a high wind kite.
As a land kiter, I agree with you on that. 32 cells in a 5m kite is going to create a very rigid air foil which means you're going to feel every bump and surge. Reminds me of my JOJOs RMs back in the day when I flew fixed bridle. I dumped those for the softer, slower, Instincts in small sizes and depowers in large sizes.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:32 pm

From what you guys know of airwave on the paraglider side, what kind of price point are we expecting? Right up there or beyond flysurfer & ozone?

I guess Bruce could answer this himself but may choose not to...

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:42 pm

Local shop offer with their additional markup for Koala was exactly the same price as Soul factory price similar size, 20€ difference.

I was a little disappointed as I was hoping market conquering introductionary pricing to get kites visible on spots and normal rider reviewed. Maybe with Kitech frs pricing level I would be taking the risk blind.

Like wrote the short list there are options and then there is winging to fight for hydrofoiler's bucks. I am also in a grid lock where to go.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:14 am

B-Roc wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm
geokite wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:16 pm
I'm curious how well a 32 cell 5m kite does. That is a lot of cells, so a lot of performance, for a high wind kite. Opposite to what I want in a high wind kite.
As a land kiter, I agree with you on that. 32 cells in a 5m kite is going to create a very rigid air foil which means you're going to feel every bump and surge. Reminds me of my JOJOs RMs back in the day when I flew fixed bridle. I dumped those for the softer, slower, Instincts in small sizes and depowers in large sizes.
It doesn't work like that. High cell count is more like positive factor, it makes kite having less drag and also more lift. But it increases manufacturing costs and also designing one is a bit more challenging. High cell count also makes kite a bit heavier but added weight can be kept in control like new Falcon kite shows.

How kite behaves is mainly dependent on its AR and airfoil shape. Kite shape (area distribution) and amount of canopy curve of course matter, even a lot.

If you have two kites, for example with 20 and 33 cells but same shape and airfoil (bridle has to be different though), latter will fly faster even if it is heavier and has more bridle line. Of course there is a limit when adding cells doesn't give advantage (from performance perspective) but that limit is very high. So far I haven't seen a kite which has too high cell count.

It is another question is it worth it to make a small very high performance kite. Most kiters aren't able to benefit it but some may. For example when I rode speed week ago I felt my kite "left behind" when I was reaching 50kn. If I had more efficient kite I very possibly could have gone faster.

Brucegs
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Cannes, st aygolf
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, stagnone
Style: Freeride
Gear: Twintip
Koala, Foilkite
Brand Affiliation: Airwave
Has thanked: 0

Postby Brucegs » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:44 pm

Our market target price was just slightly cheaper than the big guys in the market which is Flysurfer and Ozone, but when we fix a price there are many variables out of our control, such as bulk discounts, dealer margins, import duty and discounting as well as transport costs. So what the customer ends up paying is not fully under our control.
These users thanked the author Brucegs for the post:
geokite (Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:38 pm

I had the chance to test the Koala in several sizes, in about 20 knots:
- 8m on freeride hydrofoil
- 15m on twitype
- 10m on hydrofoil.

Kite is well born, with impressive easyness and stability. Not enormous power (less than pulsion and elf j5) but high end seems impressive (i was testing the 15m with twin type while another rider on twintype also and of same weight as me was riding at his personal sweet spot with the ... 8m. Depower is very very efficient.

Tips are very stable and kite agile even with slacklines... reminded me the kitech frs.

Quite present bar pressure i found. The kite gives a lot of self confidence and pushes you to test things with less fear.

Here is my video with french comments for now, i am upgrading it with english comments this week.

I discussed with Tom the designer, a young passionated guy who has developped a proprietary simulation programm dedicated to kites and paragliders.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
geron (Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:17 am

Now with english subtitles :

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:36 am

the test of the 15m Same day, 20 knots in tintype; in the end a short exchange with Tom the conceptor:

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:27 pm

I have ridden the 8m twice now both on twin tips and found it be the most stable, easy to fly foil I have ever flown. The two level bridle is really nice for ease of setup and just having less to deal with. On lumpy snow where bridles can get snagged on or dirty beaches with twigs in the sand it is just that much easier. The bar is just a standard bar, the only modern thing it lacks is the "click-in" seatbelt style QR that is taking over. I would spend my money on one without reservation.

- Stafford
www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Return to “Foil Kites”