Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Airwave

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:53 pm

merl wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:56 am
joriws wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:36 am
Just to summarize the small sized "hydrofoil" foil-kite competition which seems to be great for us consumers, hopefully nice cross reviews comes from many consumers:

- Airwave Koala 5m
- ConceptAir Pulsion 6m (or even 3.7m available)
- Flysurfer Soul 6m
- Flysurfer Peak4 4m (maybe similar wind range or would it be 3m?)
- Kitech FRS 6m
- Ozone Hyperlink 5m
- Peter Lynn Nova 4m or 6m
(sorry if I left something out unintentionally, Elf does not have Swift smaller than 8.5m, Aeros, Paraavis, Monjet, HQ did not check)

I already arranged a contact with local Airwave dealer to do a Koala demo before deciding anything on my small foil^2 solution.
I don't know whether these are "great" but can be in the same discussion:
Gin marabou 6, 4m
ConceptAir wave 6.5, 4.5, 3
ConceptAir firefly 6, 4, 2.5, 1.5
Pansh Genesis, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.5, 2

joriws knows, I know - but to others reading this thread:

They are all "small" foilkites, but as different as apples and oranges - both are fruit but thats it :rollgrin:

ConceptAir Firefly and Flysurfer Peak4 kites are singleskin wave/freeride kites with their exceptional low weight thus acceleration and stability super easy to handle, and drifts like nothing else - on cost of windrange.
Where most of the others are in the category of more "normal" dual skin foil kites, meaning they can be a handful to handle as they got extreme peak power, but the gain in performance is excellent (speed and upwind and powered) and in particular the upper end so much bigger "sweet" range, but might require a good rider/kiteflyer.

In general terms of course - but important to know you must know this difference in order to select :D

Conceptair Wave is something in between a dual skin but with low AR and a thick profile to keep it less performing and easier and better drift.

I havent tried all of above, but as far as I can see we will have the full spectre between small performing medium AR dual skins and to small low AR stable single skins for waves.

8) Peter

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:08 pm

5m koala arrived on test in Qld Australia.

My friend has flown once so far in place of Soul 1 6m. Foiling in 10-15kts. His initial response is very good. He was well powered, similar to my p4 6m. Another was foiling on sonic 11m at same time, it wasn't windy.

Kite in white looks gorgeous in the sun. Flies nicely and looks high aspect vs soul. I want one based on looks alone!

Bar is too basic for me personally I won't go back from click in loop, Metal V loop for rope slider, PU centre, & nice swivel. Does what it needs to and relatively cheap though. His comment was the same as peaks, needs Centre line pig tails to get more back line tension so bar doesn't have to be right in all the time. (I use these with p4s as well)

Guy foil kite guy who landed kite said it felt very stiff, hard to bend a wing tip to put sand on. There are a lot of intakes on the kite. Proper reviews and photos to come.

xulpix
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Oka, Mont-tremblant, Quebec, Canada
Style: freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Soul 15-10-6m
Moses 101, 790 wing
Brand Affiliation: www.Kitexpress.ca
Has thanked: 0

Postby xulpix » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:52 pm

Try it! You will be surprise! Really stable, fly flawless, great rotation, no folding wing tips, great upwind . Would put it between FS Soul and Sonic3 as feeling go.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:16 pm

I tried the 15m, 10m and 8m, on hydrofoil and twin type, and I confirm Xulpix statement : these kites are excellent with a tremendous stability and agility;
Their AR is more important that the feeling it gives on the water : (*) indeed you feel more like the easiness of a low-medium ratio kite, but with a surprising advantage of an excellent depower and high end ; wings tips are also very very stable. Kite was developed by Thomas with high gusty winds in his mind ( called "tramontane" in south of France) and it does it very well with still a remarkable agility when trimed.

On the "cons" side: they have not a lot of power at low end ; also the bar pressure (on the 15m at least ) is a little bit high for my personal taste; price is not cheap.

(*) for example Koala 8m has less performance / speed / lift for jump than my Elf jocker even in 7m (same wind , same day), while AR are similar. But Koala is far more plug and play, wings far more stable , better depower and smooth loop.

If a setting on the mixer could relocate its sweet spot toward lower end when needed, (and a lighter cloth option for the 15m) , this kite would be close to perfect

Return to “Foil Kites”