Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gin Kiteboarding Spirit

Postby elguapo » Wed May 12, 2021 9:40 pm

how do you like it so far?
(and youtube videos?)

i have that 10m on order now.. still debating whether to get the 6 also and use these as my travel kites

quick edits from research on kite:
/the a (slight) difference between the flymaxx toon design (purchased from Max Nocher) it that the spirit had a material change and wingtips appeared altered.

//the kite is excellent in light winds.(keeps power feels more maneuverable/responsible compared to a soul.. slightly higher AR. ..not a rice kite but is without question a "big air" kite

///i did find it humorous.. that me trying to find info "circled back" to this thread (which was a request for info)
https://www.coloradokitesports.com/stor ... pirit.html
Buzz is starting to build about this kite in kite forums - with people remarking that they like it as much or better than the Flysurfer Soul - even some with early access saying the like it better than the Soul V2.

GIN is making it absolutely clear that they not kidding around when it comes to their investment in foil kites. Between being the offspring of a cup-winning paraglider company, and their investment in talent like 11-time world Champion Maxime Nocher - not only are they here to stay, but they are here to dominate.

I've had a chance to ride the 15m Spirit this winter - it has become my go-to kite for lightwinds. and I can confirm that the rumors are true - this is a Big Air machine.

The Spirit will be perfect for someone who wants all the speed, lift and efficiency benefits of a higher-performance foil kite, but that doesn't plan on doing as much hike-in/backcountry snowkiting, which would favor the Little Cloud Pelican.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Tue May 25, 2021 1:27 pm

my new kites should be delivered this week.
pretty amped to try these on short low drag lines

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 186lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
9m XR7
12m Evo Dlab
12m & 15m FS Sonic 4
TT: Boardschmiede 135x40
Foil: North Sonar 1150cm2

Postby Gestalt » Tue May 25, 2021 5:03 pm

I talked to a guy who has recently been using the gin spirit. He used to ride flysrufer and I asked him to compare.
He said in terms of boosting performance the sonic3 and gin spirit are equivalent.
If you are boosting really high and are into looping the kite, the gin spirit is better since it has lower AR, which makes sense.
He also said that out of the box the gin spirit feels as if it's a far better tuned kite than a sonic3.
The biggest selling point for him however was quality. He believes the canopy material to be of a much higher quality and that it will endure harsh conditions longer. This statement I am unsure of since these kites have only been out a few months.

Gin spirit is apparently made out of 32g Domenico fabric, where as for the FS Sonic3 "the top and bottom sail are made of 32g / m2 X-Light cloth and the leading edge is made of 44g / m2 DLX+ cloth."
Can anyone comment on durability/quality difference between these two fabrics?

nate76 gave an excellent review of the gin spirt further down here http://www.powerkiteforum.com/viewthread.php?tid=36780

From the pics even the control bar looks well designed and good quality. Surely better than flysurfer....
To be honest I was almost sold on the gin spirit however the colour schemes and aesthetic design held me back. The 12m looks like a freaking Halloween pumpkin. Gonna wait till more comparative reviews come out. And I hope to God they do a better job on the aesthetic design in their next model.

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:53 am

I've been wondering why theses kites weren't discussed on this forum and I didn't want to start a thread until I had ridden the kite msyelf and now I have so here goes. I have a 10m and 15m spirit and have ridden both in a few different conditions including bottom and top end of both kites. I had pretty high hopes for these kites and like many other comments of people that have ridden them the Spirit is hands down the best free-ride foil kite I have ridden. I should point out that through buying a bunch of Flymaax kites for various people around Australia and then seeing how amazingly good the quality and performance is I have become the Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia so read into that what you will, but I can tell you I am stoked with the Gin Spirit and yes it is slightly different to the Toon and in fact rides way different considering the similarities. The Spirit has lift and boost like a race kite, it just wants to climb like a paraglider. I did not have the same experience with the Toon. (whilst i think of it RE colours above they have changed, the yellow part in each size is now gone so yeah it looks way better especially the 12m orange).

For comparison I have owned Hyperlinks, a few Pansh kites (just to satisfy my curiosity) and I currently own an F-One Diablo v5 (incredible kite) and a few R1s and have ridden a Chrono and most FS kites including Soul and Sonic3. I found the performance of the Spirit similar to Sonic3 but for me the Spirit is nicer to ride, its just incredibly fun and good because of how light and rigid and well-designed it is. The Sonic is an amazing kite but the Spirit is just easier and more fun but with the same performance characteristics. After my first session on the 15m spirit I came in and my wife wanted to try it after finishing a race session on her R1 and levitaz R5 so she took it out and was immediately similar speed to the race group upwind and even passed someone on a VMG2 downwind so the kite is crazy fast for what it is. Regarding wind range I have had the 10m in approx 10kn and was amazed at its power (with 633 foil) and then I took the 15m as the wind got lighter and was powered up riding ok down to about 6kn. Another day it was storming (its winter here in Australia) and the wind was gusting to high 20s maybe approaching 30kn in sharp gusts and I took out the 10m Spirit out to see how it handled the conditions and it rode amazingly well, very smoother considering the violent gusts, I was still downlooping it etc no worries. One problem I have noticed tho is that this kite relaunches almost without asking it, twice I have put it in the water and it has come out suprisingly quickly catching me unaware. It also seems to take on no water, even after quite a long time. Amazing light, strong, non-porous material. RE weight I had trouble getting these even from "head office" but I weight the stock I received last week and they are in fact lighter than soul's and by quite a bit. The 10m on my kitchen scales weighed 1.7kg!

To wrap up this kite has exceeded my expectations and they were pretty high. Other kites I can't say the same for, but for sure I am 100% behind the Gin Spirit and the Flymaax BoomV2 race kite, they are both awesome. On a final note when I was landing my kite a local racer asked if he could take the 15m for a spin, I handed it to him and he took it out, did one gybe and then did an around the world on his race-foil. This was on my race bar and i think 13m lines and i think it was just adequately powere, probably about 13kn of wind. So yeah the kite is pretty incredible in my eyes and I love riding it, haven't touched my race kites since I got them. The video of the 15m Spirit doing an around-the-world is on my new insta @ginflymaaxaustralia and the kites are for sale in Australia (ginflymaax.com.au -for aussie's only, there is a US dealer in LA I believe) at ginflymaax.com.au and I am doing big product launch discounts so if you in Australia/Asia hit me up.

Happy foil kiting!
Derek.
Last edited by derek440 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post (total 2):
Gestalt (Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:19 am) • B-Roc (Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:30 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:39 pm

i planned to hold off giving feedback until i could get much more time on the water them 'em...
an an upgraded...easy to ride ..sonic 3 might be a great description.

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:21 am

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Postby Tomlutz » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:39 am

Hi Derek, as you are familiar wth this kite: Does the Gin Spirit have a possibility to trim the bridles like Soul? Is there a bridle line plan available? -Tom

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:40 am

Probably just me, but I find graphics that do not assist with the identification of the LE and TE annoying. Personally I would prefer least spend on graphics possible, but if all things were equal I would buy the one where the graphics helped with orientation. Same for bars.

I stress this is a personal view, and I have flown plenty of kites with what I consider to be odd graphics; I would love to try the Gin kites.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor

Postby Nem0 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:24 pm

Is there any review out there with the Spirit on a TT compared with Soul and Sonic3?
I only could find Hydrofoil reviews...

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:26 pm

Herman wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:40 am
Probably just me, but I find graphics that do not assist with the identification of the LE and TE annoying. Personally I would prefer least spend on graphics possible, but if all things were equal I would buy the one where the graphics helped with orientation. Same for bars.

I stress this is a personal view, and I have flown plenty of kites with what I consider to be odd graphics; I would love to try the Gin kites.
Fully agree. Same problem with kitech FRS.

Return to “Foil Kites”