Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Re: Gin Kiteboarding Spirit

Postby derek440 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:54 am

There is a manual being written now and bridle plans should come out then. Short mixer test is done by lining up short mixer and they all line up at zero where short mixer meets bridle, same as halo. As per halo to zero the short mixer if it is not zero you use knots. For long mixer test personally I copy flysurfer idea and use a sharpie to make LMT marks on my bridle so I can do a easy Soul style long mixer test as kite gets more hours. I do same on my race kites (we have about 10 race kites to keep tuned.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
irwe (Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:07 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:22 pm

derek440 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:54 am
There is a manual being written now and bridle plans should come out then. Short mixer test is done by lining up short mixer and they all line up at zero where short mixer meets bridle, same as halo. As per halo to zero the short mixer if it is not zero you use knots. For long mixer test personally I copy flysurfer idea and use a sharpie to make LMT marks on my bridle so I can do a easy Soul style long mixer test as kite gets more hours. I do same on my race kites (we have about 10 race kites to keep tuned.
Thanks. Does the mixer have pullies or low friction rings as Gin has done in the past? Are the pulley lines 7/64 amsteel as Gin has done in the past?

derek440
Medium Poster

Postby derek440 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:21 am

The mixer has pulleys, I think the low friction rings are mostly for snow kites like the Shaman v3. Not sure about pulley lines, I'll find out, looks like good quality line and a lean but appropriate size. The whole mixer to me looks like a beefed up race mixer, its pretty simple and lean. The Spirit is designed by Hans Bollinger who has a long history with race kites and paragliders and you can see that in the desgin - and in the performance.

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18m Sonic3 + 12m Soul2 + 8m Sonic4 + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:03 am

Nem0 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:24 pm
Is there any review out there with the Spirit on a TT compared with Soul and Sonic3?
I only could find Hydrofoil reviews...
Can someone answer this question here?

derek440
Medium Poster

Postby derek440 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:39 am

There are definiltey quite a few people who have used Spirit with a twin tip but I haven't seen a review yet. I know we are planning reviews with a few magazines and "influencers" but I've only seen hydrofoil people lined up but I know Gin want to market the Spirit to TT riders and Gin have a few new TT boards coming out and a new tube kite for TT and hydrofoil.

This guy on insta does heaps of boosting TT on Gin Spirit: https://www.instagram.com/imbib/

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:42 pm

I would love to try one of these. Hopefully they will do a demo sometime in the SPI area.

=Jason-

derek440
Medium Poster

Postby derek440 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:35 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:42 pm
I would love to try one of these. Hopefully they will do a demo sometime in the SPI area.

=Jason-
Awesome, we are sending some kites out for review, I'll see if we can add you to the list and send you a private message to arrange. I've attached some draft specs, take these with a grain of salt as they aren't confirmed yet but the weights are off my kitchen scales of production kites. The spans I worked out by square root of area by AR, hopefully that's right, it looks right to me.

I had another ride of the 15m yesterday in some really light wind and I am 110kg/240lb in my wetty (its winter here) and I got going in about 6kn by loop starting (one loop to get my ass out of the water and second loop to start pumping the 633). I also managed to tack the 15m a couple of times by throwing a loop on the end of the tack to catch me as I was sinking. Pretty cool that you can do that with a 15m foil kite, I love it!
Attachments
spirit specs.PNG
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
Adventure Logs (Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:14 pm)

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:53 pm

derek440 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:35 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:42 pm

=Jason-
Awesome, we are sending some kites out for review, I'll see if we can add you to the list and send you a private message to arrange. I've attached some draft specs, take these with a grain of salt as they aren't confirmed yet but the weights are off my kitchen scales of production kites. The spans I worked out by square root of area by AR, hopefully that's right, it looks right to me.
That would be great. If I can demo either the 6 or 8m, Id be able to do a direct comparison with the Soul2s I have on hand both with hydrofoil and twinip. Compare build/weights/turning/jump height etc. I'm pretty stoked about this kite, Gin makes some fantastic paragliders.

=Jason-
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
Gestalt (Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:33 pm)

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 186lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
9m XR7
12m Evo Dlab
12m & 15m FS Sonic 4
TT: Boardschmiede 135x40
Foil: North Sonar 1150cm2

Postby Gestalt » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:35 pm

Leif Given getting some pretty epic air on the Gin Spirit and twintip. 22.6m jump height!

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:53 pm

So..quickie review.

I have a 6m, 8m, and 12m spirit.
In a nutshell.. these kites rock.
Has power..yet much more finesse and less clumsy than a soul for example.(maybe better to say “more performance”)
For the size..easy to loop..easy to control ..they do run to front of window (goes upwind very well..downwind edit: NOT as well as a peak4 for ..example)
The 6m is my go to kite this moment..IMO, it is the best kite there there ever was..
And 8m has lower range as a my old 10m soul..so I’ve been using as the low wind kite (I’ll usually go out when stations shows a 7 knot avg.. but Ii’ve gotten my butt out the water in down to 5 knots with the 8m)
The boosting of a 8 on long lines..is pretty good.
(Im sure it is just coincidence..but I broke another line harness..and then a chicken loop..while seeing what would happen if boost while full speed foiling)

The 12m I’ve only ridden a few times on short lines (been scared ride go out overpower on long lines to see it do what it does best—-> boost)

Biggest annoyance is sand seems to be very attracted to it...

Big thumbs up from this rider

The planned use is to ride the 6m straplesss on a surf foil (along with 4m and 6m peak4s)
..and use the 8m and 12m on a racefoil (with helmet)
Last edited by elguapo on Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Foil Kites”