jorg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Toronto, ON
Style: Big Air
Gear: Ten Velox, XR, Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: None

Foil Kite Coating - Improving Porosity

Postby jorg » Mon May 03, 2021 8:04 pm

My Flysurfer Soul v1 is slowly losing its porosity to air. It takes the water in quite significantly from the time I purchased it. There is absolutely no problem with the kite & I love it, no reason for me to move onto V2. However, it puts in some sketch situations if I am not able to relaunch it within the 45 sec-1 min mark.
I know it has been talked about, there were some ideas. I am wondering if there is any conclusion to how to remedy or squeeze more life out of it. Or even if there is anything I could do for the seams.

cheers

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil Kite Coating - Improving Porosity

Postby kitexpert » Mon May 03, 2021 9:19 pm

Really? Wasn't it the new fabric should last 2500 hours... How much have you used your kite?

There has been some fixes for leaking foil kites but it is questionable if any of them gives more than partial and temporary fix.

You can check the seams by gently pulling them. If stitching has got loosened then it can be an issue for both air and water leaking. You can glue seams but it is quite a task (over 100m of seam) and also a bit messy work. Glue has to be proper for the fabric so it won't peel off.

If wing looks clean and kite flies well I wouldn't do anything for it, other than check the seams

Return to “Foil Kites”