Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m
Brand Affiliation: None

Single skin foiling with a reel bar?

Postby Sceotend » Mon May 17, 2021 7:52 am

I have been wondering why reel bars (e.g. viewtopic.php?t=2374301) aren't getting more traction with Peak foilers. I have been reading and watching Horst's advice and videos (big thanks) on how to drift launch Peaks (see: https://kj4l.com/?p=291). Could reel bars make launching easier or are there some inherent problems with the design?

Also, Born-kite Race Star kites are reportedly (viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2408530&start=50) an interesting option for foiling but even worse than Peak in terms of relaunchability. Therefore, reel bars might help to make them relaunchable?
Last edited by Sceotend on Mon May 17, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Single skin foiling with a reel bar?

Postby jumptheshark » Mon May 17, 2021 11:11 am

Ultra simple light bars are a much better match for Peaks as they further highlight the strengths of the design. These kites are already super quick and easy to launch but most importantly their function on the water is quick and light in hand for ideal single handed dexterity. The kites best traits would be for all practical purposes ruined by a heavy clunky bar set up. I’ve experimented with a line mounted camera on Peaks and with that alone it’s only even manageable when the kites are in the top half of their wind range and even then requires some compromise to the riding.

Come up with a new feather light and streamlined reel bar concept or forget about it.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
Sceotend (Mon May 17, 2021 11:48 am) • jakemoore (Mon May 17, 2021 1:24 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Foil Kites”