Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

shorten depower line instead of adding pigtails to steering lines?

For all foil kite riders
Raynski
Medium Poster
Gear: Ventum
Brand Affiliation: None

shorten depower line instead of adding pigtails to steering lines?

Postby Raynski » Fri May 28, 2021 2:23 am

Hi all,

i bought a secondhand flysurfer soul and the depower line needs replacing. the steering lines have shrunk as well. i cannot add any more length to the steering lines because the previous owner already has done so, and am out of line to adjust the knots. Could i instead of adding pigtails to the steering lines, shorten the depower line when replacing or would that in some way weirdly effect the steering or depowering of the kite?

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Re: shorten depower line instead of adding pigtails to steering lines?

Postby thewindego » Fri May 28, 2021 3:26 am

Ya same deal.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Fri May 28, 2021 4:29 am

Same effect, but it'll reduce the throw of your bar, and limit how much you can depower it. Which is why lengthening the steering lines is almost always a preferable option. And it can be done either with longer pigtails at the kite level, or with longer leader lines, or with extra pigtails between the leader lines and actual steering lines... Whatever's the most convenient on that particular bar.

edit: of course if there's some room between your trimming cleat and the V of the front lines, then you can shorten that part, without the consequence I mentioned above.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Fri May 28, 2021 7:46 am

bragnouff wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 4:29 am
edit: of course if there's some room between your trimming cleat and the V of the front lines, then you can shorten that part, without the consequence I mentioned above.
Exactly this is the way it should be done. On strap bar just make knot loose and move the knot and tighten it again. Clam cleat bar from ring "up" maybe tie a knot?

Also check under the floaters, I think from stock there is a dual loop in lark's head, so un-loop one or there might be two knots on bar end so move larks head upper. But this is just faint memory at my side so please check it.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri May 28, 2021 8:53 am

Shortening above trim ok.

Reducing bar throw has consequences. Obviously less sheet out possible to recover from backstall or depower but, also, if you are going to tether the chicken loop with the balls the bar needs to travel up the depower line. If the bar cannot travel far enough up the depower line the break setting may need to be changed to get the kite to sit on the ground in stronger wind, especially if you tether the c-loop with the balls/handle. It could also slightly change the amount of leader you need to pull for backstall landing. Sheeting range reduction will also alter the way you can loop the kite. Possibly more likely to be acceptable if it is for a small kite.

Non of the above is unsurmountable just something to be aware of. I have just gone the other way on an old Montana, (top hat on both front lines as safety so short throw originally to enable short peeps to reach the qr). Extended rear leaders and increased bar throw from 220mm to 460mm; now kite recovers much better if backstalled and sits on the beach in a decent wind without looking like it is about to relaunch. However, I did fly it with the short bar throw for about a year without mishap and only decided to modify when I started pushing the envelope for it. Have not flown Souls so can’t comment on how close a comparison this could be.
Last edited by Herman on Fri May 28, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Fri May 28, 2021 4:14 pm

Hi Raynski
You did not mention how many cm you need to lengthen the steering lines. If you only need, let`s say 5 cm you could remove the unused knots under and above the floater. There should be at least two unused knots on the forelines under the floater. Give the knots a good tap with a spoon to get them lose. Each opened knot gives you a few cm, depending on the diameter.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Fri May 28, 2021 5:21 pm

That's not a good idea you will decrease the amount of depower the kite was designed for and make the kite less manageable. Since you will have to play with the depower cleat a lot more. It's very easy to add pigtails to the rear lines you can find those online or you can make them yourself plenty of video on that on youtube. If they are a bit too long then you can use the adjustments on the bar to make all 4 lines equal. I built many bars and I often do the opposite I increase the depower throw so that I have more depower on tap without using the trim adjustment.

Return to “Foil Kites”