Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite sugestions for foiling in 15 knots

Postby dave1986 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:48 pm

If you're not jumping on your foil then I'd suggest a single strut kite for all-around versatility, ease of use and ease of relaunch. However, I personally prefer my Naish Pivot (3 strut) than my Naish Boxer (Single strut) as I find single strut kites to be feeble in jumping and when downlooping them... Whereas the Pivot has a nice bit of power and kick to it when jumping and looping.
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post:
andrzej351 (Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:44 am

JoseTumaco wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:43 am
I own a 12m Soul, perfect for my spot at Colombia usualy Between 8 - 10 knots, I foil 1 year ago, with big wing (Moses 679 with 91 carbón mast). But when it gets from 11 to 15 knots (never more here) my Soul 12 M is too much powerfull. I am thinking in buying a new kite, which size/Brand do yo suggest me? A 9 M Soul, a 10 m Airush Ultra or a 8m Peak4? Or other? I just want fun, no race, and there are no waves here. I am 73 kg. Thanks for your help.
I've got a Soul 12m to foil in the same range as you and have the same experience. My conclusion after some sessions were that I should start to use smaller wings with this Soul 12m or get a smaller kite to use with my big surf-wing (1250cm^2). First I've got an Alpha 8m and it was a day and night change. Just perfect. With this Alpha 8m I can foil with the surf-wing in >=8k with no issues (I weight 72kg). Now I've got a 650cm^2 wing but have not had any change to try it with my Soul 12m.

To answer your question directly. You have these two options: a). a smaller wing, b). a smaller kite (Alpha 10m or Ultra would be my suggestion).

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 am

elguapo wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:00 am
interesting..
how is the kiting on the pacific coast of colombia?

i've done lago calima near cali(and cartagena...and san adres) but didnt know of locations south of cali.
...do you guys have a website of locations or kite meetup facebook page or something?

re: your question..
you can use almost anything.
personally...for that wind... i'd get a 4m peak4 and med aspect foil kite..
my preference would be 6m gin spriit or 6m flysurfer soul... but there are a lot a very good kites for that wind range and that foil wing.
fwiw: the 6m soul will fly rather differently (in a good way) than your 12m... imo, the smaller sizes are much better on bigger wings
Thanks. I live in Tumaco, good for foiling, can check my instagram @josetumaco

Please tell me, Soul 6m could be for 10 to 15 knots?

Peak4. 4 M What wind can cover? In what sense do you preffer it to a Soul 6m? I am afraid is too little, isnt it better 6m?

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:02 pm

I am 65kg and use a 6m Soul on that 10-15kt range with 20m lines. Over 15kt I use it with shorter (10m) lines.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:28 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 am

Peak4. 4 M What wind can cover? In what sense do you preffer it to a Soul 6m? I am afraid is too little, isnt it better 6m?
I can tell you for sure that an 8m Peak4 is too big for 11 - 15 knots at your weight. Yes, a 4m is too small. 4m is good from 15 knots up (or perhaps 14 knots minimum). Your choice should be between a 6m or a 5m Peak4. The 6m will work from 10 knots, the 5m from 12 knots. The 6m will be nicer to use at 12/13 knots, the 5m nicer at 14/15 knots (& a bit higher).

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:50 pm

Unless you are foiling only in surf, the Soul 6m will be more fun. Plus you can use the Soul in higher winds on twintip which is extremely fun as well. The Soul will relaunch better, be more playful, have a larger range, is more versatile, drift almost as well as the Peak, and is just more fun.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:37 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:08 am
elguapo wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:00 am
interesting..
how is the kiting on the pacific coast of colombia?

i've done lago calima near cali(and cartagena...and san adres) but didnt know of locations south of cali.
...do you guys have a website of locations or kite meetup facebook page or something?

re: your question..
you can use almost anything.
personally...for that wind... i'd get a 4m peak4 and med aspect foil kite..
my preference would be 6m gin spriit or 6m flysurfer soul... but there are a lot a very good kites for that wind range and that foil wing.
fwiw: the 6m soul will fly rather differently (in a good way) than your 12m... imo, the smaller sizes are much better on bigger wings

a 4m peak is relatively cheap..packs small.. and i think it would pair well with a 12m and 6m soul.
15 knots will be towards low end range on the 4m.. but imo shouldnt be a problem in that wind
a 6m is my "GT" kite...not a speed demon..but great for cruising around.. goes upwind much well.. i like to fly on long lines.. can loop it fast without excess power (yet that power spike is still there when needed)

i'm in cali 1-2x a year.. good to know having to find a way to that lake isnt the only option
:thumb:

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:41 pm

Peak 4 is a wave kite, and not very good for much else, except of course, alpine skiing.

I’d guess you could probably drop from your soul 12 down to a soul 8.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:46 am

Trent hink wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:41 pm
Peak 4 is a wave kite, and not very good for much else, except of course, alpine skiing.

I’d guess you could probably drop from your soul 12 down to a soul 8.

Disagree.

Yes it is personal what you prefer - some come from high performance racekites, and of course prefer to ride with these types no matter which kite.
Others ride with smaller foil wings, where a fast flying kite might be a better match, for some.

But the Peak4 in sizes 3-4-5-6 m2 are my favorites, also on flat water, because they are super fun fast/agile and rig/pack extremely fast :thumb:

Upwind is great with these too - can be outperformed yes, but doesnt matter as you scream upwind anyways on a hydrofoil, so better to have a fun and fast kite instead, for me.

Others want to ride fast and for long trips, or jump, where they might prefer a high perfomance kite.
On the other hand, if you ride to foreign spots, and/or have to land and launch in tight spots, or behind trees or buildings - you have a huge advantage with the Peak4 kites.

This feature, that it almost can not drop no matter how turbulent and gusty the wind is - has literally changed my launch and land spots, even on the well known spots, there are suddenly many better options available, than at the more stable wind area at the beach, where there can be crowds sometimes, and also sand or seaweed that gets in everything (camera/lines).

If you never ride in waves, not even at other spots with 1-2 feet which is fun, you might want a really big kite instead, for easier tacks if you want that, instead of an agile kite - simply personal preferences.
Also, if you want a bigger windrange, go with other kites.

At 73 kg and a 1250 cm2 wing like you have, a 4 m2 should work from 13-14 knots.

8) Peter

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:39 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:50 pm
Unless you are foiling only in surf, the Soul 6m will be more fun. Plus you can use the Soul in higher winds on twintip which is extremely fun as well. The Soul will relaunch better, be more playful, have a larger range, is more versatile, drift almost as well as the Peak, and is just more fun.
This is just a matter of taste.. and what you write isn’t true completely..
Owning the Peak4, in 3,4 & 5 m and owning the Soul 6m makes me know what I’m talking off..
There is just no comparison for the drift of the Peak in the smaller sizes with the Soul.. the Soul can’t tip the Peak in drift.. and isn’t as playful as the Peaks.
Today I had another 4m session with wind waves.. riding the waves downwind with no input to the kite and no hand on the bar.. in complete silence.. can’t do that with the Soul 6m. (Wind 15-20 kts)
I love the Soul 6m, shorter lines makes it shine (like I fly my Peaks too) and yess it has a bigger range and is way better relaunchable.
I think the topic starter is indeed better of with a 6m Soul but for TT I miss the 8m between my 10 & 6m Soul.

Return to “Foil Kites”