Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite sugestions for foiling in 15 knots

Postby rnelias » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:12 am

what's the low end for a Peak4 6m (72kg rider with a 1250cm^2 wing)?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:48 am

rnelias wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:12 am
what's the low end for a Peak4 6m (72kg rider with a 1250cm^2 wing)?
I am 82 kg with a 1000 cm2 wing. A comfortable low end for me with the 6m Peak4 is around 10 knots. Could probably go down to about 9 knots. At your weight & larger wing you might be able to squeeze another knot at the low end. Note that this is my estimate of the wind strength based on 40 years of wind sports participation - I don't have accurate on site measurements of the wind & it's hard to know exactly what the wind is, especially lighter wind.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
rnelias (Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:17 am

Janus wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:39 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:50 pm
Unless you are foiling only in surf, the Soul 6m will be more fun. Plus you can use the Soul in higher winds on twintip which is extremely fun as well. The Soul will relaunch better, be more playful, have a larger range, is more versatile, drift almost as well as the Peak, and is just more fun.
This is just a matter of taste.. and what you write isn’t true completely..
Owning the Peak4, in 3,4 & 5 m and owning the Soul 6m makes me know what I’m talking off..
There is just no comparison for the drift of the Peak in the smaller sizes with the Soul.. the Soul can’t tip the Peak in drift.. and isn’t as playful as the Peaks.
Today I had another 4m session with wind waves.. riding the waves downwind with no input to the kite and no hand on the bar.. in complete silence.. can’t do that with the Soul 6m. (Wind 15-20 kts)
I love the Soul 6m, shorter lines makes it shine (like I fly my Peaks too) and yess it has a bigger range and is way better relaunchable.
I think the topic starter is indeed better of with a 6m Soul but for TT I miss the 8m between my 10 & 6m Soul.
Thanks a lot for your experience, really appreciate it. There are not waves where I live, but I am really seduce by the playfull hability of Peak4. I foil only for fun, not race, and not to jump with foil (yes with TT). Could you say Peak4 can give me more fun than Soul 6m?
And for 11 to 15 knots with 679 or 633 Moses wing (72 kg) Should I buy 5 or 6 M Peak?
Thanks a lot.
Jose :jump: :jump:

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:30 am

@JoseTumaco have you tried your Soul 12m on a smaller wing? A foil wing is cheaper than a kite... you'll foil faster than on your surf-foil's wing with less lift and would not get overpowered too early.

I'm asking because I'm on the same boat than you but got a smaller wing (650cm^2) to use with my Soul 12m on 15k winds but had no oportunity to try this combination yet (we're in the low season here...)

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:10 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:17 am

Thanks a lot for your experience, really appreciate it. There are not waves where I live, but I am really seduce by the playfull hability of Peak4. I foil only for fun, not race, and not to jump with foil (yes with TT). Could you say Peak4 can give me more fun than Soul 6m?
And for 11 to 15 knots with 679 or 633 Moses wing (72 kg) Should I buy 5 or 6 M Peak?
Thanks a lot.
Jose :jump: :jump:
Hi Jose,
Don’t know the Moses wings, I have Ketos Kool, WaveXL and FreeRace.
11-15 kts is Peak4 5m for me.. or Soul 6m.. both giving fun can’t decide for you what’s more fun.. (for me the Peaks are) BUT.. if you intend to learn new things it’s easier with the Soul 6m.. more to the edge of the window and you will screw up things and get the kite in the water.. swimming in with a Peak4 isn’t really a problem if you pack it up nicely but it spoils the fun factor a bit.. ;-)
You must accept that a swim in will happen.. I have successfully launched the 4,5 and 11 on the water, relaunched on the water and swam in with them..
Can’t remember a swim in with my Souls by rider failure, light wind failure one time on the 12m…

Suggested option for a smaller and faster front wing is a good one too, had one session with my FreeRace front wing with my Soul 10m.. than I felt why racers rig big, should have taken the 12m for higher speed.. it’s fun too
I think the Soul 12m will do it from 6/7kts till what you can dare.. 15kts is no problem at all.

Return to “Foil Kites”