Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: foil kite problem

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:39 pm

The hyperlink bowties??? Common on the Sonic if you don't watch it but I've never had that problem on the Soul. Shorter lines may help but you may not get the downward power stroke to get you up on foil. If I'm going small foil in lower winds, I usually go longer lines. Try to loop your kite more to keep tension on the lines or trim your bar for shorter rear/steering lines so you can backstall when necessary which will again keep tension on the kite.

If you do have a wing tip wrapped, yanking repeatedly on that side may help to untangle it. Best thing is to get it in the air even if tangled and then yanking on one or the other steering line may help. Also backstalling through the power zone and releasing may help as well since you'll get more air through the kite that way. As always, practice makes perfect!
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
seppalord (Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Ramonn
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 79
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee
Style: all
Gear: Ozone, Appletree and Levitaz
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ramonn » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:27 am

Thanks, good to know this problem has a solution. I am sure gonna practice more. Especially now I know there is hope if I get into trouble. I think I gave up too early too often and started swimming. Next time I will take my time and keep trying.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:28 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:39 pm

If you do have a wing tip wrapped, yanking repeatedly on that side may help to untangle it. Best thing is to get it in the air even if tangled and then yanking on one or the other steering line may help. Also backstalling through the power zone and releasing may help as well since you'll get more air through the kite that way. As always, practice makes perfect!
Getting it in the air early is a top tip. If one side is twisted you may have to hold one side leader line on the bar to counter asymmetric flying. But then you have time to try and untwist as said. It’s easier to do with a hyperlink than a higher aspect kite. And with the Soul it’s possible to tangle as well. The Soul is really nice for coming untangled using the methods Adventure Logs describes. At minimum having the kite in the air is a slow trip back to shore without rolling up and swimming so long as you avoid offshore wind.

Return to “Foil Kites”