Center safety line

For all foil kite riders
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Center safety line

Postby keegster17 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:44 pm

Hi guys

I have a 12m Flysurfer Soul, had it a year plus, but lately I have noticed, that it is back stalling in lower wind, never noticed this before. Anyways I took a look at the bar, and noticed one of the center lines is out by 5 inches, which I thought was a lot. Do you think this would cause back stalling? The bar is a Flysurfer bar, 2 years old max. I fully depowered the bar, and had the chicken loop connected to a solid item and compared the lines. however when I looked at it the other way, holding the bar, it was less noticeable. I don't want to start messing around until I am certain what I should do. Thoughts?

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Center safety line

Postby evan » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:10 pm

What tension did you test the lines with? One powerline is connected to the flagout line bungee and will be shorter when not under >5kg load.

If your power lines are really 12,5cm different in length your would have a kite that badly wants to turn to one side constantly, so I gues the backstall issues comes from shrunken bridle lines (or back lines on the bar, these also shrink).
If you rule out the bar with all four lines even under a light load you should perform al long mixer test.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:38 pm

For long mixer and bar check, look at this

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Has thanked: 0

Postby keegster17 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:51 pm

the kite did not have any issues with turning in one direction. what I managed to do, was stretch the safety line. Noticed on my other bar it was out. Apparently if you soak in fresh water and it is easier to stretch.

Return to “Foil Kites”