For all foil kite riders
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Choosing a foil kite

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:32 pm

I'm 80 kg and, for light wind, I ride a 990 cm2 hydrofoil wing on a 10 m Soul. I'm frequently the only one riding in very light wind (LEIs try, but can't do it). I have a 15 m Flysurfer Speed 4 that I never use for hydrofoil, because it has too much power. I think, at your size, with a surf wing, you'd be happy with a 10 m Soul. I agree with others that you'll like the Soul better than the Sonic, particularly if you plan to continue to use your LEI kites for stronger wind on the hydrofoil and for twintip days.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:47 pm

Turbaani wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:52 pm
airsail wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:35 pm
Turbaani wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:28 pm

Thanks for good tips.
I don't know how foilkites work yet, but if its the same that kite speeds up when bar is pushed out, then yes I understand. Even LEI's need to be depowered in super light wind to keep the speed in the kite.

Yeah its a debate on the size. But I am mainly looking for a good light wind weapon.
I have the 10 Soul and 15 Sonic, both have a similar low end but the 10 Soul is easier to use in the light stuff and I just use longer lines.
The 10 is a really fun kite, many around my area use the 10 as their biggest size. I need the 15 for tacks, the 10 just doesn’t have enough lift in the light stuff but is fine for no foot change tacks and gybes.
What are the local conditions there? I don't know the exact windspeed but we get alot of those days where LEI will just barely stay in the air. And you need 0.5knots more to waterstart a tiny hf board. Half of they days are like this and half is 12-14knots.
I will try to get a soul for demo for sure!
We have all conditions depending on the time of year, currently winter in Oz so generally lighter days, 6-12 knots regularly.
I too am free race, I find big wings like the 633 difficult to use with big foil kites, just too much lift when water starting and the board gets driven upwind.
Kite weight is critical in the light stuff, in general if you can fly the kite you can foil it with longer lines. Hence why the 15 Sonic has a similar low end to the 10 Soul, the Sonic is heavier so harder to keep flying.
My light wind foil is about 800 sqcm but very thin, works well with the 15 mtr or 10 mtr. But as the wind picks up I’ll drop to the 500sqcm race wing on the 15 mtr, the Sonic is blistering for this and has a big top end, just seems to go faster in the gusts.
If your into free race the 12 Soul is a good option as you need a little more to get the thinner wings flying though I enjoy my 10-15 split.

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:35 am

We have all conditions depending on the time of year, currently winter in Oz so generally lighter days, 6-12 knots regularly.
I too am free race, I find big wings like the 633 difficult to use with big foil kites, just too much lift when water starting and the board gets driven upwind.
Kite weight is critical in the light stuff, in general if you can fly the kite you can foil it with longer lines. Hence why the 15 Sonic has a similar low end to the 10 Soul, the Sonic is heavier so harder to keep flying.
My light wind foil is about 800 sqcm but very thin, works well with the 15 mtr or 10 mtr. But as the wind picks up I’ll drop to the 500sqcm race wing on the 15 mtr, the Sonic is blistering for this and has a big top end, just seems to go faster in the gusts.
If your into free race the 12 Soul is a good option as you need a little more to get the thinner wings flying though I enjoy my 10-15 split.
Thanks this is very useful information. I too might get the smaller kite race wing, but atm I am happy with this w800. Also thin profile.

Do you know what would be too much wind for you when using the lw foil + 10 soul? Just thinking about the wind range of 12 soul. If it covers from 6/7 knots to 18knots it would be almost one kite quiver for me in summer.

How about top end with sonic + smaller race wing? :D

Turbaani
Frequent Poster

Postby Turbaani » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:43 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:32 pm
I'm 80 kg and, for light wind, I ride a 990 cm2 hydrofoil wing on a 10 m Soul. I'm frequently the only one riding in very light wind (LEIs try, but can't do it). I have a 15 m Flysurfer Speed 4 that I never use for hydrofoil, because it has too much power. I think, at your size, with a surf wing, you'd be happy with a 10 m Soul. I agree with others that you'll like the Soul better than the Sonic, particularly if you plan to continue to use your LEI kites for stronger wind on the hydrofoil and for twintip days.
Thats very nice to know. Im amazed how small kite you can use. How does 10m soul feel in very light, do you still get good amount of power from apparent wind?
I ride only hydrofoils atm. Maybe twintip is back in menu next year. But yeah currently I am planning to use my old LEI's too. Im self launching alot so a smaller foil kite in future is not ruled out either

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:44 am

I’m riding a Chrono 4 / Soul quiver. My bias is the Chrono stays in the air better in lulls and is better for body dragging out in light air. The Chrono feels faster turning because it stays solid in backstall and can pinwheel turn on its center. You can bow tie the Chrono if you aren’t careful.

The Soul relaunches better both in turning up away from the water and not drinking. The Soul is amazing in sorting itself out if you slack the lines and a tip folds. The Souls turns are wide and powerful to the point that with 30 m lines I can go when tube kites won’t on my 8.

Bigger sizes offer better angles and more lift in race style tacks. If you are looking for light wind I would start with a 12 or 13 with 16-18M lines and extensions to take you to 30+M. Small diameter rear lines especially up high make a big difference in truely light winds with a low bar pressure foil kite.

A used V1 soul or V3 Chrono is fine but may need some tuning to get the best flight. These kites last a long time if not abused.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:30 am

Turbaani wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:31 pm
In need of some advice. I've been flying only LEI's and doing it for 9years.
I can ride hydrofoil with 12m xr in winds where kite will drop from sky if its kept still.I want something better for light wind, so I am looking for ~15m foil kite now. Im 74kg.

I have almost zero experience with foil kites, but with LEI's I would call myself very experienced pilot as I often ride in very light winds without failing.

I have been looking into flysurfer kites, they recommend going for Soul if you are newbie foil kiter. But I was thinking of maybe going for Sonic straight away. Most of the winds here are good, but sometimes I go out in gusty and turbulent winds. Not very often though. Do you think sonic can be used in turbulent wind when you know how to fly it well?

What kind of bar connection does flysurfer use? Can I use my LEI bars or does it need different connections or something?

Is it dangerous to buy used foil kite? Lets say 1-2y old.

Thanks for anyone who took the time to help.

I have a 2020 Airush Ultra V3, 12m for sale. Awesome foil kite in mint condition...$849

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:56 am

With your style of riding and race oriented hydrofoil wings you have a similar setup to mine - I do have the 637 wing so you have the option to add this as well. If I were you my pick is Chrono 13 as this will give you better upwind and less bar pressure - also soul gets overpowered on hydrofoil - not a problem on TT with the massive amount of edging Problem is if you go with Soul or any low aspect kite soon you'd want a higher aspect kite so long term best kite is something like Sonic 3 if you know how to handle. I don't think Sonic is that difficult as the kite is pretty stable.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:29 am

Turbaani wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:35 am
Thanks this is very useful information. I too might get the smaller kite race wing, but atm I am happy with this w800. Also thin profile.

Do you know what would be too much wind for you when using the lw foil + 10 soul? Just thinking about the wind range of 12 soul. If it covers from 6/7 knots to 18knots it would be almost one kite quiver for me in summer.

How about top end with sonic + smaller race wing? :D
[/quote]

I’ve ridden the W800, it’s a good wing for free race, quick enough and easy to used with big foil kites.
I’ve used the 10 Soul up to about 16 knots comfortably, it will go higher but then water conditions make using a small race wing challenging and I go to my Clouds or wingfoil.
I owned the 12 Soul too, great kite, had it in 15 knots but once again water conditions tend to suit a different set up. I sold it to get the 15 as I wanted to progress my tacks in the lighter air.
The Sonic 15 has the same top end, it’s thinner so handles higher wind. But over 15 knots we get big chop and the crashes at high speed can be nasty. 8-10 knots on any of the kites is the magic zone, smooth water and high speeds.
These users thanked the author airsail for the post:
sonny2727 (Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Turbaani
Frequent Poster

Postby Turbaani » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:16 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:44 am
I’m riding a Chrono 4 / Soul quiver. My bias is the Chrono stays in the air better in lulls and is better for body dragging out in light air. The Chrono feels faster turning because it stays solid in backstall and can pinwheel turn on its center. You can bow tie the Chrono if you aren’t careful.

The Soul relaunches better both in turning up away from the water and not drinking. The Soul is amazing in sorting itself out if you slack the lines and a tip folds. The Souls turns are wide and powerful to the point that with 30 m lines I can go when tube kites won’t on my 8.

Bigger sizes offer better angles and more lift in race style tacks. If you are looking for light wind I would start with a 12 or 13 with 16-18M lines and extensions to take you to 30+M. Small diameter rear lines especially up high make a big difference in truely light winds with a low bar pressure foil kite.

A used V1 soul or V3 Chrono is fine but may need some tuning to get the best flight. These kites last a long time if not abused.
Thanks for good tips. I'm sure it will be something new to learn, and maybe I will have to test the relaunch too haha. But with LEI's I basically never crash my kite so relaunch is not a main criteria.

Will definately look into shorter lines. If you want smaller diameter lines, is custom only way?

Turbaani
Frequent Poster

Postby Turbaani » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:21 pm

sonny2727 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:56 am
With your style of riding and race oriented hydrofoil wings you have a similar setup to mine - I do have the 637 wing so you have the option to add this as well. If I were you my pick is Chrono 13 as this will give you better upwind and less bar pressure - also soul gets overpowered on hydrofoil - not a problem on TT with the massive amount of edging Problem is if you go with Soul or any low aspect kite soon you'd want a higher aspect kite so long term best kite is something like Sonic 3 if you know how to handle. I don't think Sonic is that difficult as the kite is pretty stable.
This is my biggest concern with the fatter profile Soul, if it feels overpowered / draggy in high speeds and I want to upgrade after 20 sessions. Like mentioned before it will only be used with hydrofoil.

Return to “Foil Kites”