Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Highest Aspect Ratio and/or Upwind Capability?

For all foil kite riders
JTKiter
Medium Poster
Gear: gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Highest Aspect Ratio and/or Upwind Capability?

Postby JTKiter » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:26 pm

I'm a very experienced kiter with a sad history of doing unsafe and inappropriate things with kites.
Recent experiments have led me to a point where I want the kite as far forward in the window as it can be.
(My quiver already includes a dated 21m F-One Diablo, an 18m Ozone Chrono EXP, 13m EXP, 10m Ozone Edge.)

I'm hoping some of you racers and other foil experts can help me make an informed decision on what to get next.
23m FS VMG?????

Thanks for any input.

chaosgate
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Sonic3

Re: Highest Aspect Ratio and/or Upwind Capability?

Postby chaosgate » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:30 am

Have you tried a bar with a bigger depower range? For example, lengthening the trim strap.
If you got enough wind, depowering more should allow the kite to get more forward. As far as I know, most high aspect foil kites can depower a lot more than standard bars can support.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:55 am

JTKiter wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:26 pm

I'm hoping some of you racers and other foil experts can help me make an informed decision on what to get next.
23m FS VMG?????
I think the VMG is build around having very short lines (12m) and specifically for hydrofoil racing.
Based on what you want to do with it might misbehave. If you are not on a hydrofoil a sonic or similar might be a better fit. You also don’t have to deal with the fiberglass rods the VMG has.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:49 pm

Out of the available high performance kites the VMG is definetely the one that flyes closer to the edge of the window

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:55 pm

Out of the available high performance kites the VMG is definetely the one that flyes closer to the edge of the window

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:10 pm

The VMG 23m is a fun kite, but it is definitely designed for racing. That said, it can be ridden with a twin-tip, but there are some caveats.
1. The racing bridles are tiny, many look like threads
2. When boosting the hang time is so good that you will be tempted to pull all kinds of tricks and rotations, but if your timing is not perfect, you will not keep the lines tight causing a tip fold and possibly crashing the kite. Which brings us to number 3
3. The VMG bridles are not designed for relaunch. The kite will relaunch, but you risk breaking a bridle or two.
4. The fabric is thin and not as durable as free ride kites.
5. It is expensive

Bottom line - the VMG is an amazing kite in light wind, better than the Soul 21 and/or Sonic 21. However, I would limit myself to straight airs and simple grabs. It is also amazing for gliding on the snow. It will have a much shorter life than a Sonic. So, it is high performance at a high cost. What is untrue is that it is only for hydrofoil or racing, an experienced foil kiter can fly the kite on a standard FS bar. Cost per flight is high because those thin bridles and lighter fabric will not last long. After owing one for 2 years, I have had to do some repairs. I had some incredible light wind sessions and I was surprised by the top end of the kite. It makes me wish that FS would build a 23m version of the Soul because the added grunt in light wind allows earlier jumping in light wind and would make a big difference on the snow, but for now I am enjoying the big VMG.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
chaosgate (Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:19 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear

Postby Schietwedder » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:20 pm

If flown with a 8m high V setup those racekites should also work on 20m ish lines in the way the bridles are calculated without deformation in the arc shape as the front lines have the same angle.
Always thought about getting a VMG 1 but make new bridles from Liros DSL increasing the breaking strength by thicker lines and thanks to the braided core close to no maintenance.
Sure some performance would be lost vs durability it can be sacrificed.
How is the durability of the canopy and structure material though? Is it like normal light weight kites or worse?
I guess the foilers put also quite a lot of load into the kite by edging their foils so the structure should be rather stiff right?

Return to “Foil Kites”