Indulang
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Local Beach: Taiwan
Style: Just fooling around
Gear: Duotone Rebel

Wind range sweet spot on a twintip

Postby Indulang » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:15 am

Hello folks, I would like to know the wind range experience of those of you who ride twintips with foil kites.

Based on my research, it seems foil kites have a wider range for riding twintips compared to LEI kites. But I'm interested in how is the experience through this wide wind range. For example, how much of the low end is only useful for just staying upwind without much power for jumps, etc.. Also, does it fly funny at the high-end when you fully depower with the aspect ratio becoming even bigger.

I'm able to hold power well with LEI kites now and can ride my 7m rebel up to 35kts. I weigh 65kgs. I'm looking for the right-sized foil kite to have lofty jumps in the 16-22kts range.

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wind range sweet spot on a twintip

Postby Carlos_C » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:21 pm

this is 10 mt range - maybe 13 mt no bigger for your weight
I'm 70 kg and my most used kite is my speed 4 10 mt

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:39 am

16 to 22knts get a 12 m kite or 13m . Thats about when the lofty jumps start on a nice foil kite. Make sure its one of those high aspect types. like a sonic or chrono. A 12 m foil will get u powered in 14 knts to stay upwind. 18knts will put a smile on your face. Modern foil kites wont fly funny when depowered but things can get a little wobbly.
Indulang wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:15 am
Hello folks, I would like to know the wind range experience of those of you who ride twintips with foil kites.

Based on my research, it seems foil kites have a wider range for riding twintips compared to LEI kites. But I'm interested in how is the experience through this wide wind range. For example, how much of the low end is only useful for just staying upwind without much power for jumps, etc.. Also, does it fly funny at the high-end when you fully depower with the aspect ratio becoming even bigger.

I'm able to hold power well with LEI kites now and can ride my 7m rebel up to 35kts. I weigh 65kgs. I'm looking for the right-sized foil kite to have lofty jumps in the 16-22kts range.

Indulang
Medium Poster

Postby Indulang » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:31 am

Thanks, Windrider! Would a 12m be comfortable on a foil till 14kts? My secondary goal for this foil kite is to ride a foil. My foil wing area is 950cm2
windrider1 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:39 am
16 to 22knts get a 12 m kite or 13m . Thats about when the lofty jumps start on a nice foil kite. Make sure its one of those high aspect types. like a sonic or chrono. A 12 m foil will get u powered in 14 knts to stay upwind. 18knts will put a smile on your face. Modern foil kites wont fly funny when depowered but things can get a little wobbly.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:52 am

In my experience, going with 12m Soul and 140x42 board and 100kg weight, the lowest wind I was comfortably riding was 12 knots, highest 24 knots and it wasn't the limit, I was trimmed but not overpowered.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:59 pm

At about 72kg, a 10m soul works very well from 16-22knots (I can ride in maybe 13-14 knots but from 16 it starts to get more fun). It will go in higher wind than that comfortably but then you start to need a launch and landing assistant - particularly if you aren't experienced with foil kites.

On a foil, I find my 10m soul starts to feel a little much at about 14 knots.

If I'm honest. I should have gone for an 8m for my weight. I'd probably say that a 12m would be too big for foiling at your weight.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Indulang (Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:39 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:33 pm

If you are going to also foil, get a Soul 10m. Hard to reach to top end, very good low end and very versatile. Also since you'll be new to foil kites, the Soul will be a good choice as well. Easier transition.

But if you are in an area where you can demo, try to get your hands on a Soul, Sonic, Chrono, hyperlink, or the new Gin Spirit. The Spirit might be the choice for you but I haven't ridden one yet. Slightly higher AR than the Soul. Should be a good performer with still pretty easy flight characteristics.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
Indulang (Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:59 pm)

Indulang
Medium Poster

Postby Indulang » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:55 am

Thanks, Nothing2seehere. I'm curious to hear why you think you should've gone for an 8m. Is it to have more upper-end with the foil?
nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:59 pm
On a foil, I find my 10m soul starts to feel a little much at about 14 knots.

If I'm honest. I should have gone for an 8m for my weight. I'd probably say that a 12m would be too big for foiling at your weight.

Thanks, Adventure Logs. I've seen some of your youtube videos. Great content! I've seen several other posts besides Nothing2Seehere who claim it gets overpowering at about 14-16kts. But you claim it's hard to reach the top end. Could it be because you have a better than average skill level and/or you're bigger? FYI, I weigh 65kgs.
Adventure Logs wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:33 pm
If you are going to also foil, get a Soul 10m. Hard to reach to top end, very good low end and very versatile. Also since you'll be new to foil kites, the Soul will be a good choice as well. Easier transition.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:09 pm

Hi

Yes. I think for my weight and wind conditions, I would get more time on the hydrofoil with the 8m. The wind can drop suddenly when it's less than 9 knots so even a 9m LEI gives enough low end. The 10m soul is perfectly powered at 9-10 knots but I end up switching to a twin tip come 15 knots and even at that wind speed I can practice board offs as the hangtime is just enough.

8m would give me more time on the foil. I prefer to be underpowered but still easily relaunch the kite than have more power. But then I'm not into boosting big on my foil at the moment either so you might find a little more power and more crossover to a twin tip better?

Ultimately the big learning point I found was launching and landing. With experience it's possible in strong winds, but it's definitely the biggest barrier to entry and has left me feeling like a beginner from time to time.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Indulang (Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:58 pm)

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Postby PabloQ » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:20 pm

I have a soul 10m a TT 139x39 and I weigh 72k plus equipment.
I sail perfectly upwind at 10kn, at 12 I start jumping, the big jumps from 16 and I have reached 28kn dominating the team, but carefully.
With the 7m soul I start at 14, jumps at 16 high jumps at 20 and I still haven't found the maximum wind since in my spot the +30 winds are rare.
Greetings

Return to “Foil Kites”