Weight: 86
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Hyperlink, peak4, sonic3
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Sonic 3 line lenght

Postby Bag » Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:01 am

Hello everyone.
A month or two back I have added 9m sonic to my quiver and still cannot get used to it.
I am riding equivalent of well known 633 wing. Tried sonic on hydrofoil in winds somewhere between 10 and 16 and noticed that on gusts or higher end of this range kite tries to stay low while accelerating and requires big effort to keep it higher for more comfort.
Also it responds quite bad while jibing without a downloop (and downloop with sonic sometimes scares me even though I am looping mu other kites). Jibing must be done with kite following the board and not oposite as I am used to. Same problem with slack lines applies on downloop as it requires 'precise' timing in order to make full motion without slacking lines.

At the moment there are 22m lines and I am wondering if 15m would solve kite responsiveness while jibing and tendency to stay low in the wind window when speed is higher.
And if so, would 15m lines leave enough space for water starts and kiteloops?
Please share your experience with sonics on hydrofoil

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Re: Sonic 3 line lenght

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:20 pm

Hmm have you done a bar line check? All lines should be equal.

For the loop, this kite more pivots than turns but with the bar pulled in it should loop with less power.

For the drift, the Sonic isn't as good as the Soul but still it has improved greatly through the generations. Keep some tension on the bar to help keep its shape while it drifts. If you really need to drift, back stalling the kite greatly helps with this.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:38 pm

As AL said you need a different technique. This is not a line length issue but mainly you are not used to high aspect small kites. Spend time learning to backstall during the loop. I ride 633 with 10m R1 and it took me time to get the technique right compared to LEI, for jibing, first backstall and then when the board is turned, release bar. In high winds lean back more and put more pressure on back foot. One thing I did early on was having a session downlooping on a twin tip until I got the timing right and this is why a lot of people don't ride small Race kites on surf wings - they don't match
That said 17m-20m lines could be better, you can easily downloop if you know how, fish pole and if needed grab leader line.

Nelis
Medium Poster
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: de Zuid, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Texas City, TX
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
Style: Hydrofoil & TT
Gear: Ozone Alpha 6m v1, 8m v2, 10m v1
FS Soul 10m
Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" w. Levitaz Cruizer pro
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:58 pm

I've had the lines of my Soul 10m (not the same kite I know) shortened from 21m to 17m and the remainders of line are now extensions. This made the hydrofoil experience much better on this kite and is now my standard way of flying it. Downlooping is not a problem. 17m is actually the recommendation from FS for this kite.

I only use the extensions on twintip for better boosting or on really low wind HF days to get the low end to about 7-8 knots of wind.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:27 pm

I m flying my sonic 3 11 with 11 mt lines, and loops with no problem. I ve tried with longer lines as well, 15 - 20 and 24 mt
but above 15 there seems to be some lag in the response, so i stuck with shorter lines.

Bag
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 86
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Hyperlink, peak4, sonic3
Has thanked: 0

Postby Bag » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:03 am

11m sonic on 11m lines sounds too extreeme 🙂.
Juanpasala, may I ask what is your low end with setup? I am conserned about waterstarts.

Nelis, thanks for a notice about flysurfer recomendation. Ir looks like I don't have a doubt abou trying to shorten my lines. Nevertheless need to try looping backstalled kite first.

Return to “Foil Kites”