Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Speed 5 Mixer Adjustment

For all foil kite riders
JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Speed 5 Mixer Adjustment

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:14 pm

After 4 years, I finally performed a mixer test on my 21m Speed 5. Not that it did not fly good, but I thought I would check the lengths. What I found was that B & C were about 1 to 1.5 cm shorter than A/Z when doing the mixer test and symmetrical (right and left side the same). I am thinking that the profile of the kite would be somewhat flatter with B & C shorter, but I may be wrong.

So I adjusted them back to zero (making them even with A/Z). I flew the kite yesterday in light winds (11-13 knots) and it performed basically the same as before, except that the 'sweet spot' is just a bit more with the bar out (around 3-5cm). I usually fly the kite with the trim strap pulled all the way in and the kite flies mostly on the front lines. And as always the trailing edge bridle lines are pretty slack when at speed (both before and after the mixer adjustment).

Any thoughts or insight on this? Just leave the mixer as is or change it back to B & C shorter? Check bridle segment lengths? Thanks in advance!

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Speed 5 Mixer Adjustment

Postby Schietwedder » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:59 am

Hi Jake,
Yes first of all 1cm on a 21m kite is not that big of a change so also the result may change not that much.

You changed the profile back to its original camber, so it provides a bit more lift for a given depower position on your bar.
So that it has now the same power but the bar a few cm more out follows the explanation above and is what to expect.

I would stay at this setting, if the new bar positions annoy you I'd rather use the adjuster or pigtails at the back lines rather than changing the mixer.

Only if (very unlikely) your kite now has a tendency to overfly you and frontstall which can happen if you give it too much camber I would change back.
This is though not to be expected as you are on original flysurfer setting.
These users thanked the author Schietwedder for the post:
JakeFarley (Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:39 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”