Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: queenscliff
Gear: Ozone foil kites
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils
Wings: F-one Stike, Ensis
Brand Affiliation: None

Chrono V4 11m

Postby addictedtofoil » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:30 am

I have Hyperlink V2 9M, Chrono V3 UL 9M, and 11M.
I am 95-100kg, took my new Chrono V4 11M out for a session yesterday in a gusty Sydney NNW turning N-NNE, 11-18knot, using 799/400/91 foil combo.

Super impressed with the performance of the V4 using factory middle line settings, a big difference from the V3 in terms of:
- wing tips don't collapse anymore
- very consistent power delivery, even down looping push bar out (I'm using the race bar) and power almost gone, (mind you this is the same as the V3)
- new material feels great, much better than V3 IMO
- drift is amazing let the bar go and carve foil downwind and kite drifts with wind creating no pull whatsoever, feels better than the V3
- some super high jumps, need more time to dial in the timing, but hang time is if not the same better than the V3

This is my first impression, who else is using the Chrono V4 and what's your thoughts compared to the V3?

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Re: Chrono V4 11m

Postby dave1986 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:51 pm

I own a Chrono V4 13m. I previously owned a Chrono V3 Ultralight 13m.

I didnt feel a huge improvement on the V4 compared with the V3 Ultralight, but equally I didn't ever fly them back-to-back for a direct comparison.

I think both kites are great and perfect for getting foiling in silly light winds.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:27 pm

addictedtofoil wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:30 am
I have Hyperlink V2 9M, Chrono V3 UL 9M, and 11M.
I am 95-100kg, took my new Chrono V4 11M out for a session yesterday in a gusty Sydney NNW turning N-NNE, 11-18knot, using 799/400/91 foil combo.

Super impressed with the performance of the V4 using factory middle line settings, a big difference from the V3 in terms of:
- wing tips don't collapse anymore
- very consistent power delivery, even down looping push bar out (I'm using the race bar) and power almost gone, (mind you this is the same as the V3)
- new material feels great, much better than V3 IMO
- drift is amazing let the bar go and carve foil downwind and kite drifts with wind creating no pull whatsoever, feels better than the V3
- some super high jumps, need more time to dial in the timing, but hang time is if not the same better than the V3

This is my first impression, who else is using the Chrono V4 and what's your thoughts compared to the V3?

i guess i am feeling grouchy today but approx 20 years kiting and maybe 14 of them messing about with foil kites,,,,,, but i have lost count how many times i have heard that the "new" version, the wing tips won't collapse anymore. ha ha.

but maybe this time!!!!!!!!!!

i have the v3 11m ul, really like it. will upgrade to v4 when an oppurtunity comes along.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:01 am

Well you can tune wingtip collapse out of the kite at the bridle...oh wait, can't do that so well on Ozones ;-)
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
deldenk (Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:51 am

Snark 😁

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:23 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:01 am
Well you can tune wingtip collapse out of the kite at the bridle...oh wait, can't do that so well on Ozones ;-)
flysurfer pimp attack! shots across the bow!

i've had a dozen flysurfer kites,, still have like 3. all kites have their niche. that ozone is a damn fine kite. ultra light as well. we must love all our kites equally

addictedtofoil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: queenscliff
Gear: Ozone foil kites
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils
Wings: F-one Stike, Ensis

Postby addictedtofoil » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:48 pm

I think maybe the relaunch is better on the v4 maybe, but too early to tell, we are in winter winds in Sydney.

It is definitely more stable in the wing tips than my chrono v3 11m. Probably due to the reduced bridle count on v4.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:01 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Chrono v3 and V4 are Easy to tune and less need to do so with nice supple double braid bridles.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:56 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:01 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Chrono v3 and V4 are Easy to tune and less need to do so with nice supple double braid bridles.
Yes I know people claim that the Ozone bridle doesn't shink as much due to the different line construction but I was talking about if you already had an issue(like wing tip tuck). I just checked out the Ozone Chrono4 webpage since it has been awhile and nowhere does it say anything about an adjustable mixer for the bridle. There are three different settings though on the Z line if that's what you are talking about. Or are you talking about the method of adding knots to the bridle to adjust it? If that's the case, in my opinion that is nothing more than a hack and shouldn't be needed to do something like that for the amount of money Ozone is charging for these foil kites. Also anytime to put a knot in a line, you are weakening it which again, is just not acceptable to me. Or are you talking about paying extra money to get Ozone's adjustable bridle(which i couldn't find on the website anywhere). So not only are these super expensive, but you would have to pay EVEN more for that lol.

Lastly, here's a direct quote from Ozones speed system check off their website:
". If the difference between the upper ends is more than 15mm,
most likely the lines PB1 and PB2 running through the pulleys
have shrunk/stretched and need replacing, or any other line is
out of trim and/or damaged and needs replacing"

Nothing at all about adjusting, just if somethings out of trim, it needs REPLACING.

/thread

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:31 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:56 pm
... just not acceptable to me ...
On the V4 Chrono its 3 knots On the V3 Chrono and other Ozone speed systems its one knot and moving it has the same effect on kite shape as changing the C main length on Flysurfer mixers.

But what really boggles my mind is why Flysurfer puts a knot in their C-Pulley line to match Ozone when no line attaches there?
dipshit.jpg

Return to “Foil Kites”