Can you fly Peak4 Fred Hope style with little airs

For all foil kite riders
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Can you fly Peak4 Fred Hope style with little airs

Postby Trent hink » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:14 am

tmcfarla wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:22 am
Peak4 are the worst jumping kite I've ever used, and by a very large margin. they will sort of lift you up, and then drop you like a sack of rocks. They are great kites, but not for jumping.
I disagree about the part where it will drop you like a sack of rocks.

I stand by my contention that the peak has very little lift, and you need to be well-powered and work the kite very aggressively to get anything at all out of it.

In the right hands, someone can do something with this thing…

But I freely admit that it seems the hands I am talking about are not my hands!

Compare it to Cloud or other wave-oriented LEI kites if you must; in some respects it is similar… but not quite the same.

Of course, I love my Peaks, but I would never recommend them to someone who is looking for something else.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lederhosen » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:01 am

It would be cool to see videos with someone like Fred Hope or Sebastien Saugy showing the potential of singleskins for that kind of rideing. Kitecompanies might just not want to market a kite that sinks as a hydrofoil freestyle kite. There is supposed to be a new Marabou coming, and a new hybrid kite by Flusurfer too, so maybe then.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:44 am

Like said Souls and Hyperlinks are the kites requested for the style and relaunchability. They are well balanced for stabile flight&drift, can do multiple galacticals/deadmans/360-around-the-worlds in a row. Jumps like crazy and drifts quite well when ridden towards. Shoots upwind as well for new line up.

Horst Sergio accepted galactical challenge with single skin kite. I don't believe he has succeeded after an year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCtzJVFDTeq ... _copy_link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRvUMlV-zhE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJw68wEPKns

Not so little airs though, Soul ~300m jump (separate thread at KF):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ex7p_kyZE

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:09 am

[/quote]
Thanks. I already have 3M Peak but that only comes out in high wind for drifting downwind.. if 5/6m can have good turning speed then it could be a good cheap solution to keep my learning curve - another thing to learn before I die from COVID, without the UFO price tag - wish UFO/Cloud cheaper in AU
[/quote]

Sunny, I have the Peaks in 8 / 5 / 4 m². The differences between these sizes are significant, from my point of view.
I´m not commenting on the 8 here as it´s only relevant for light wind cruising, rather small wind range, pulls like a tractor in winds above 12 kts.
I was surprised when using the 4 m² for the first time after having used the 5 m² several times before. The 4 turns much faster than the 5, and it´s wind range is much bigger. The 4 is even more gutless than the 5 in it´s lower wind range. It shines between 17-20 kts. The 5 m feels much more powerful than the 4 in general. There is almost a little "gap" between the comfortable high-end of the 5 m² and the comfortable low-end of the 4 m² Peak. You have to get used to the "super-low power" of the 4 in it´s low-end windrange.
What I want to say: You should expect a big difference in overall feeling / usability between the 3 m² Peak and the 5/6 m² models.
These users thanked the author Onda for the post:
sonny2727 (Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:14 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:10 am

sonny2727 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:13 am
jumptheshark wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:02 am
Peak4, cloud, UFO etc are similar but different. Not sure you can round the world or dead man turn on a peak, but other than slack line antics, I’m pretty sure you can do most everything else Fred does in the video posted on a Peak4.

Peak4 lift is similar to clouds and they cater to a pretty similar riding style.

Certainly a rider familiar with strutless kites would get comfortable quickly on a Peak4 and vice versa.
Thanks. I already have 3M Peak but that only comes out in high wind for drifting downwind.. if 5/6m can have good turning speed then it could be a good cheap solution to keep my learning curve - another thing to learn before I die from COVID, without the UFO price tag - wish UFO/Cloud cheaper in AU

Yes, the 5 and 6 are great, turns fast, and A LOT easier to handle than the nimble sensitive 3 m2.

It is "Plug and Play" intuitive easy for any LEI rider - I have seen several who got the 6 m2, and were delighted how easy it was to handle, and how they found it was almost impossible to drop it by a mistake :naughty:

You can use the 3 m2 in 16-18 knots and more, and the 6 m2 from 9 knots (Not if new to these kites, but when you have learned to master them fully, let it breathe and loop not too tight to get foiling)
5 and 6 somewhat less range, the 4 m2 no doubt, as others say, by far the biggest windrange - can be used from 13 knots to 25 or something like that.

Forget about the 8 for fun, as it turns slow, but can be a superfast rigged session saver (as well as any other bigger foil kite can but takes longer to pack)

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
sonny2727 (Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:25 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”