Medium Poster
Weight: 80 kg
Favorite Beaches: sandy with good parking and no dogs
Style: strapless, freeride
Gear: FS Peak
Brand Affiliation: None

foil kite for 8-12 knots again

Postby tomi3000 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:21 pm

Sorry guys, I know this topic has been talked 100 times already.

I am itching for a new foil kite for freeride hydrofoil to cover those 8-12 knots days before I can use my Peak 4 5m. I use Moses 633 and I am avarage weight. I got Chrono V2 11m UL for those light wind days but to be fair it has never really worked for me as I can't enjoy how slow it is and there is something about how it feels different as 95% of my time on water I use Peak 4 and only take out Chrono on those light breeze days when I know Peak 4 5m will not work.

I would normally just buy Peak 4 8m but IDK, in it's lower range Peak 4 feels very weak, looping it to water start only works until it reaches bottom end and there is just not enough pull to get on the board. Maybe Soul 9m or 10m would be a better alternatieve to have a good low end and in the same time to not be such a cow when it comes to moving in the air like Chrono. In the past I owned Hyperlink 12m and I didn't like it as it was even slower than Chrono 11m. When I use Chrono I am constantly aware that the tips can collapse occasionally, it requires more attention to prevent overflying, I need to be carefull to not let it drift with no line tensions or it will collapse and basically I feel like my time on water is dedicated to make the kite fly or stop it from falling instead of just going out and riding foil.

What I am saying is that is there any kite that works for all those who enjoy Peak 4 5m, 4m, 3m but for light wind?
Do I suck at flying Chrono and should I invest more time in flying it and stop whining as there are no mirricale kites and it is just physics and more time on water needed?
Or is it a no brainer and I should just get Peak 8m.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Re: foil kite for 8-12 knots again

Postby Brian H » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:05 pm

I have a 2 year old 9m Hyperlink Ultra light that’s awesome in 8-12 kts and fast and no tips collapsing. I have. 4m 5m peak 2 and I had a 8m peak . I think a new 10m Soul2 would be your answer to 8-12 kts .
These users thanked the author Brian H for the post (total 2):
tomi3000 (Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:51 pm) • LeoLeal (Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:20 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:24 pm

I think its just physics. I mean, if you want to feel powered in light wind like the kite is solid and right in its prime you gotta go fast. For 633 type riders looking for endless transitions or off the wind drift, there are major diminishing returns under 10 knots. The 8m buys you the cruising soul sessions down to 8 knots (which can be nice from time to time) but its not the same type of riding your used to on smaller sizes.

I'm all in on Peaks, and have slowly filled out my quiver from 3-8. Scored a deal on the 8m and picked it up with designs to use it on snow, but have had it out on water a couple times to see how it compares to the 6m. No idea about comparisons to the other closed cell foils you mention, but your descriptions sound pretty much what its like. A session saver if your desperate to go, but transitions are boat speed and line tension management. Once the kite is in enough wind to drift a little, I'd rather be on the 6. The 8 is kinda like dancing with your Gramma. It's chief attribute is security that it will stay up. The turning is slow when you don't have an edge to tighten the lines against and I can tell it will be more fun on snow. Most 8m days on water, I'd rather go fishing.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
tomi3000 (Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomi3000
Medium Poster

Postby tomi3000 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:51 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:24 pm
I think its just physics. I mean, if you want to feel powered in light wind like the kite is solid and right in its prime you gotta go fast. For 633 type riders looking for endless transitions or off the wind drift, there are major diminishing returns under 10 knots. The 8m buys you the cruising soul sessions down to 8 knots (which can be nice from time to time) but its not the same type of riding your used to on smaller sizes.

I'm all in on Peaks, and have slowly filled out my quiver from 3-8. Scored a deal on the 8m and picked it up with designs to use it on snow, but have had it out on water a couple times to see how it compares to the 6m. No idea about comparisons to the other closed cell foils you mention, but your descriptions sound pretty much what its like. A session saver if your desperate to go, but transitions are boat speed and line tension management. Once the kite is in enough wind to drift a little, I'd rather be on the 6. The 8 is kinda like dancing with your Gramma. It's chief attribute is security that it will stay up. The turning is slow when you don't have an edge to tighten the lines against and I can tell it will be more fun on snow. Most 8m days on water, I'd rather go fishing.
I can live with mellow riding style on the 8 knot day and would not expect anything else.

I am intrigued that there is now 6m Peak 4 available. Not sure if I remember correctly but I think I read somwhere that P4 5m was in fact more like 5.5m in size. How do 5m & 6m compare in terms of real size and more imporantly bottom end?

If Peak 4 8m would allow waterstart in 8 knots what would be the bottom end for P4 6m assuming you would be doing looping and be on decent size foilboard?

I know that sometimes it can be subjective to how we preceive wind speed but as a benchmark I assume that 11 knots for me is when I keep looping P4 5m and it doesn't have any significant pull when flying through the powerzone but the kite still flies fine and climbs easily but at 12 knots it generates enough pull to drag me on a board.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:56 pm

If you want something that flies quick for low wind the aluula roam is probably your best bet.

I also own a relatively quick 11m foil kite (kauper Falcon) but it is still magnitudes slower then my 10M Roam.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:30 pm

How long are your lines on the Chrono? Step down to 12-15m lines and it becomes much more fun and agile, a totally different experience than long lines where you have to wait so long for the kite to cross the window, etc.

It takes an adjustment period with short lines, and you’ll have to loop the kite a lot, but you’ll become better at flying.

tomi3000
Medium Poster

Postby tomi3000 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:44 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:56 pm
If you want something that flies quick for low wind the aluula roam is probably your best bet.

I also own a relatively quick 11m foil kite (kauper Falcon) but it is still magnitudes slower then my 10M Roam.
Foil kites only, I am done with pumping and flying kite that feels like a ton of bricks in comparisson with Peak 4.
Jyoder wrote: How long are your lines on the Chrono? Step down to 12-15m lines and it becomes much more fun and agile, a totally different experience than long lines where you have to wait so long for the kite to cross the window, etc.

It takes an adjustment period with short lines, and you’ll have to loop the kite a lot, but you’ll become better at flying.
I have not thought about it and it may be worth trying to trim the lines. My ozone bar has got standard 23m lines I believe so I will get one of my old bars and cut down the lines, see if it makes any difference. I will try 15m lengh as 12m sounds a bit extreme for somone who always used 20-24m lenghts lines before.
Last edited by tomi3000 on Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:07 pm

Line length makes a difference but I reserve that for windier conditions. I ride the 5,4 and 3 peaks on progressively shorter lines, but ride the 6 and 8 on standard 21m lines. They need the length to get decent low wind water starting.

If 11 knots is the cut off for you on the 5m, the 6m will get you up in 9 knots. The 8m will likely get you up in 8 knots.

The 6m is significantly larger and more powerful than the 5. And the 8 again a very logical step up. The whole range is well spaced. I’m happy to have not skipped a size. The 6m has been key for me. Have used it a lot this summer. Much nicer than being under powered on the 5. The 1 knot gain going to the 8m is a bit more trivial, but with the 8m you’re properly powered as soon as you can get up, where you have to work the smaller ones at their bottom end more. You can sine the 8 but can’t really work it like you can the 6.

I’m about 80kg and can technically get up with the 5m in 10 knots but don’t.

8m 8-10
6m 10-12
5m 12 knot start

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:50 pm

I ride my 2018 9m airush ultra down to 9knots and it doubles as lightraft for the swim in when it drops to 4knots!

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:00 pm

think Peak4 in bigger sizes are so boring ..better go fishing or go to church.
Kauper Falcon is a perfect match with 633. Same weight as Peak4. I ride Falcon 13m 6-10kts and for the first time in 20years enjoy light wind. That said for the 8-12kts with 633 range i'd want an A Roam but don't have the money

Return to “Foil Kites”