Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: Slufter, Jastarnia,
Style: Free ride, Big Air
Gear: Naish Pivot, Naish Monarch
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: kite for foiling in 11-15 knots

Postby andrzej351 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:24 pm

At 11 - 15 kts, my Kauper XT Falcon 11m is perfect. It is a foil kite. It is a really fast kite, they drift very well. I really like jumping on it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:47 pm

andrzej351 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:24 pm
At 11 - 15 kts, my Kauper XT Falcon 11m is perfect. It is a foil kite. It is a really fast kite, they drift very well. I really like jumping on it.

Hmmm, I was thinking about getting the Falcon in 11 m2 (@78 kg) to use in 6-7 knots.

Are you riding a small racefoilwing?

As if you find it works perfect in 11-15 knots on freeridewings, I am not sure it can work well in 6-7 knots only, meaning too much range and not low end power :roll:

In 11 knots many of us rides 5 or 6 m2 Peak4, so a double sized twinskin efficient kite should be able to go a lot lower, regarding its sweetspot IMO and experiences :wink:

8) Peter

andrzej351
Medium Poster

Postby andrzej351 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:25 pm

This week I had three sessions with the falcon 11m. Wind from 6kts to 17kts. The kite is very stable and gives even power. I fly on Moses wing 679 + s450.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210905-232643.jpg
These users thanked the author andrzej351 for the post:
JoseTumaco (Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:54 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:16 am
Almost any kite will be fine in 11 to 15 knots. As others have said, it really depends on what your performance requirements are and your preferred style of riding?

Fast turning?
Upwind/ downwind performance ?
Lots of lift/ Not much lift?
Easy relaunch?
Low cost ?
Good drift
etc.. etc...

Every kite has compromises, so you need to define what's the most important to you then ask the question again.

If you want to make tacks easy as possible, and also good jumping abilty but you don't mind high cost and slower turning then a twin skin foil kite like Flysurfer Soul, Ozone Hyperlink, Ozone Chrono might be the kite for you.

If you want the best drift and faster tuning and lower cost but don't mind low lift(harder for tacks and bad jumping) and bad relaunch then perhaps a Flysurfer Peak.

If you want decent all-around foiling fun then perhaps a 9m single strut LEI like Ozone Alpha, Naish Boxer, Airush Ultra etc...

If you want a kite that is decent all-around that can also jump well on a twintip (but won't fly in as light wind) then perhaps a 3 strut LEI like Ozone Enduro, Naish Pivot etc....

Personally I think a majority of people would get most enjoyment and convenience from a 9m or 10m Single Strut LEI.
Thanks, I really appreciate your post. I can say something about:
Upwind/ downwind performance is not very important for me, I dont foil for racing, just for fun.
Lots of lift/ Not much lift? I could say that lift is not very important for me, because I dont jump a lot with foil, and gibes and tacks are easy for me now.
Easy relaunch is relative, I like it, but I am never very far from the beach.
Cost is not the problem in this moment.
Good drift is not important because there are not waves in my spot
Fast turning is always nice
I use muy 12m Soul for 80% of my days betwenn 8/10 knots (82 Moses mast/679 wing). I am searching a new kite for my 20% days from 11 to 15 knots, where I can also use my 12 m Soul with a smaller wing (moses w550/w600). I really like going from A to B, gibing, tacking, doing some tricks, little jums.

Thanks for your advice

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:27 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:54 pm
dave1986 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:16 am
Almost any kite will be fine in 11 to 15 knots. As others have said, it really depends on what your performance requirements are and your preferred style of riding?

Fast turning?
Upwind/ downwind performance ?
Lots of lift/ Not much lift?
Easy relaunch?
Low cost ?
Good drift
etc.. etc...

Every kite has compromises, so you need to define what's the most important to you then ask the question again.

If you want to make tacks easy as possible, and also good jumping abilty but you don't mind high cost and slower turning then a twin skin foil kite like Flysurfer Soul, Ozone Hyperlink, Ozone Chrono might be the kite for you.

If you want the best drift and faster tuning and lower cost but don't mind low lift(harder for tacks and bad jumping) and bad relaunch then perhaps a Flysurfer Peak.

If you want decent all-around foiling fun then perhaps a 9m single strut LEI like Ozone Alpha, Naish Boxer, Airush Ultra etc...

If you want a kite that is decent all-around that can also jump well on a twintip (but won't fly in as light wind) then perhaps a 3 strut LEI like Ozone Enduro, Naish Pivot etc....

Personally I think a majority of people would get most enjoyment and convenience from a 9m or 10m Single Strut LEI.
Thanks, I really appreciate your post. I can say something about:
Upwind/ downwind performance is not very important for me, I dont foil for racing, just for fun.
Lots of lift/ Not much lift? I could say that lift is not very important for me, because I dont jump a lot with foil, and gibes and tacks are easy for me now.
Easy relaunch is relative, I like it, but I am never very far from the beach.
Cost is not the problem in this moment.
Good drift is not important because there are not waves in my spot
Fast turning is always nice
I use muy 12m Soul for 80% of my days betwenn 8/10 knots (82 Moses mast/679 wing). I am searching a new kite for my 20% days from 11 to 15 knots, where I can also use my 12 m Soul with a smaller wing (moses w550/w600). I really like going from A to B, gibing, tacking, doing some tricks, little jums.

Thanks for your advice
it sounds like perhaps fast turning and playful is high on the priority. For this I would personally choose a single strut LEI. The Naish Boxer and Ozone Alpha and Airush Ultra all get great reviews. They'll easily fly in 11 knots and very playful kites. The downsides of single strut kites for some people is that the wind range is a little smaller compared with 3 strut kites (only a little), and they typically have a little less lift... so whilst you can jump, don't expect to break any Woo records.

....but for the criteria you have stated I would say that a single strut LEI would fill it nicely... probably around a 9m size depending on your weight and depending on how powered you like to ride.
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post:
Peter_Frank (Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:25 am)

andrzej351
Medium Poster

Postby andrzej351 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:54 am

Before I bought a Falcon, I used a lot of Reedin Supermodel 9m and 10m for the foil. It really is a very versatile kite. Great drift, fast and light. From 11kts to 20kts :jump:

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:05 am

andrzej351 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:54 am
Before I bought a Falcon, I used a lot of Reedin Supermodel 9m and 10m for the foil. It really is a very versatile kite. Great drift, fast and light. From 11kts to 20kts :jump:

I 100% agree that 3 strut kites are also good for this wind range too.

For my personal style of riding and preferences I actually prefer a 3 strut kite for the 11 to 15knot wind range. I use use the 9m Pivot.
The reason I prefer 3 strut for this wind range is that I like to do some jumps and backrolls on the foil... the single strut kites can still do this, but 3 strut kites like Pivot have a bit more lift and more "kick" to them which I personally prefer. The compromise is that they'll fall out of the sky sooner if the wind drops (or if apparent wind drops by riding fast downwind).
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post:
andrzej351 (Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:48 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”