Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

why exactly is the flysurfer peak the best kite ever made?

For all foil kite riders
sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: why exactly is the flysurfer peak the best kite ever made?

Postby sonny2727 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:24 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:59 am
jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 am
It's not about liking your video, its about accurately representing the kite. That vid is like some kind of purposeful disinformation!
Lol. I had a kite that people said wasn't water relaunchable so I crashed it on purpose to see if I could relaunch it. This was not a grand conspiracy theory to tarnish the reputation of the Peak.

Anyway, I don't see a point discussing further, have a good evening.
TBH ..I like your video more than most on the internet simply because it shows the worst-case scenario ...Original Horst Sergio relaunching 69/70 is not realistic either for most average users..its more like 50% ...Not every crash is controlled and with line tension, and sometimes you get totally disoriented after a crash. I don't know why we are so touchy about a video anyway ..its just a sport ..have fun..life is short
These users thanked the author sonny2727 for the post (total 2):
khaakon (Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:38 am) • Peter_Frank (Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:50 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:50 am

Agree :thumb:

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:55 am

I read "50% relaunch rate" several times
Not agree :
1-smaller sizes are easiest (had 11m and now 5m)

2-practice is the key, at first I had a rate less than 25%.... Now is 99%... Last session I have recover from an accidental Quick release in 5min

3-with light winds you must be patient, and wait for a gust. The kite could seem dead and one minute later Catch a gust and leave from water (this did my 11m with only Two or three LE cells out the water... Of course it toke its time.

Practice without board, Just you, the kite and a small pond is enough

And of course have fun doing it

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:15 pm

If this was a rant, its not really directed at tkaraszewski. To him, I tip my hat. He actually got one and found it doesn't really suit his style. Totally fair play to experiment with any kite. From what I can tell, he's more into race gear so in the end this kite is understandably not his thing.

My responses were two fold. To give straightforward step by step info to other peak riders looking to improve at getting the kite back up, but also to counter guys like Grigorib who posted the clip in this thread with a caption clearly meant to dissuade. He doesn't ride peaks so what's his point. The reality is that just a couple seasons ago he was among the chorus of voices shitting on the strutless platform for poor relaunch. What a laugh that is. Now that his mainstream brand put one out. Strutless are gold for foiling.

So yeah, I take issue with shit talk from late adopters.

The simple truth is that by pure luck, there are features of the Peak design that although make them easy to flatten on the water, also make them pretty easy and low risk to drift back out and pop back up. That open but curled leading edge is both the reason it doesn't and then again does relaunch. Going through the minutia of not disturbing the kite on the water to best sort it back to drift position is a detail, but a massively helpful one to those who will try it. Not tensioning lines on a downed Peak is another. Once you do it a few times these things make obvious sense, where they really don't even occur to the uninitiated..... as per the video.

Anyway. for me this is both. An opportunity to share a few key tips, and take a dig back when a dig is taken by someone who simply seems irritated that others have moved on to something else and are passionate about it.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
tkaraszewski (Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:35 pm
Again, most often when we do crash em, its with all four lines tensioned and more often than not, its a two second relaunch.
the only reason i've ever crashed my peaks is because i flew under them while on a wave...zero line tension. i'm not even sure how you'd crash a peak with tension in the lines. and i've never successfully relaunched after 3 such events. my peaks just sink, almost immediately, no line tension still. i figure it's because i ride in waves, and once down, the waves crash over them and it's over. maybe there's a video out there of a peak relaunch in waves, but i've never seen one. they all seem to be done in lakes/ponds. i still like my peaks, but my rule is: do whatever i can to keep them out of the water, cuz they're not coming back up.
These users thanked the author jkrug for the post:
airsail (Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:39 pm)

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:15 pm

Skycountry makes a closed cell peak4 called hysper2, it is supposed to be very agile and the relaunch seems to work better than marabou. I dont mind the relaunch of peak and also use it in snow, but for people who care, there is a solution.

http://www.lesfoilz.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... 2aa6820edf

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 pm

jkrug wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 pm
jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:35 pm
Again, most often when we do crash em, its with all four lines tensioned and more often than not, its a two second relaunch.
the only reason i've ever crashed my peaks is because i flew under them while on a wave...zero line tension. i'm not even sure how you'd crash a peak with tension in the lines. and i've never successfully relaunched after 3 such events. my peaks just sink, almost immediately, no line tension still. i figure it's because i ride in waves, and once down, the waves crash over them and it's over. maybe there's a video out there of a peak relaunch in waves, but i've never seen one. they all seem to be done in lakes/ponds. i still like my peaks, but my rule is: do whatever i can to keep them out of the water, cuz they're not coming back up.
Have also had a peak fall slack line from outrunning it on a wave before and had it swamped by a wave. Your right, its almost certainly game over for relaunch and usually even reset. Thankfully breaking waves are usually close to shore so a quick wrap up toward the kite and shore launch are how I've dealt with it. Have had to put Peaks back up in sketchy little shore spots more than once, but again, in the end, ride home to the launch.

Most line tensioned crashes are either because the person oversheets a bit, pinwheels the kite and releases when its pointed down, or in things like backroll transitions where there is a kite loop and you miscalculate when it's behind your back.

I have never claimed these kites are anything more than single skin. No one has. It's inherent risk and should factor into decisions of how far from shore you ride, or how hard you want to push it in offshore breaks. I also see risk in places with current counter to wind like hood river where a downed kite might not drift in the right direction at all. Whatever the case, the techniques mentioned are mitigation of when things go bad. Does not preclude things from getting worse. To anyone who has not relaunched a wet flat Peak, I encourage you to go through the learning steps in a safe and controlled spot, if for nothing more than having a clear understanding of their limitations. These skills may well come in handy. So far I have managed to avoid serious danger and get myself home from many a crash, neither am I timid about trying all manner of new things with these kites for fear of dropping it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:56 pm

Tyler's video is by far the best peak relaunch video. All the other videos the kiter instantly relaunches it's just touch the water and they barely let the kite get wet. Can't learn anything that way. His video is very instructional. I've done the same sort of relaunch on my closed cell foils when I've gotten a bow tie. Wrap up, fix the kite then relaunch.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:29 am

edt wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:56 pm
Tyler's video is by far the best peak relaunch video. All the other videos the kiter instantly relaunches it's just touch the water and they barely let the kite get wet. Can't learn anything that way. His video is very instructional. I've done the same sort of relaunch on my closed cell foils when I've gotten a bow tie. Wrap up, fix the kite then relaunch.
If you watch Horst's video, he shows water launching a totally wet Peak.

The difference, as I see it, is the wind is much lighter in Horst's clip, so the kite sits there without flipping around at all & doesn't get swamped by incoming waves.. Tyler's video is quite instructive as to what not to do & what works in stronger wind. Lifting the the LE of the kite up to catch the wind does not appear to work, as the kite ends up flipping over a couple of times. In the end, laying the kite on its back works ... although it still flips over another time (I'm guessing because there was too much line tension). Fortunately the kite flips back LE up & then launches immediately. The most difficult part, for me, is controlling the board throughout the process, as it's constantly wanting to drift downwind & into the lines/bridle.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
edt (Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:03 pm)

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:24 am

The Single Skin kite is the best in this day because it has given us freedom from the norm of the comercial flow that reduces the kite experience into a LEI digestable product. It has given us a way out of that … jaja … with a simpler alternative that is easier, more intimate and more personal …
These users thanked the author geron for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:17 pm) • bitxopalo (Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:19 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Foil Kites”