Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

why exactly is the flysurfer peak the best kite ever made?

For all foil kite riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: why exactly is the flysurfer peak the best kite ever made?

Postby Flyboy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:29 am

bkkite wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:47 am

Can you expand on why you can launch these in places you can't launch other kites?

Also, how much worse is the upwind ability?

I'm about 210lbs, and I've been riding an Apollo 60 (similar to a Moses 633, but a touch smaller). I just switched to a single strut core xlite 12m, but im interested in the ability to launch in tougher spots and having even more drift
For me, my two major local launches (one of which is always solo) have narrow beaches with side shore winds. Very easy to hot launch the Peaks. Onshore launches with a narrow space between trees would also allow easy hot launching in a spot that could otherwise be impossible or very difficult to launch from.. If you have a big, open & wide beach it's less of an issue.

I don't think upwind ability is that much of a concern. It's certainly significantly less than a high aspect double skin foil kite, but not very different from a mid aspect LEI kite.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:08 am

I've launched the 11 from a Windsurf spot that has rows of cars and trees on both sides and grass between about as wide as two kites. No other kiters ever go to that spot. Because you can launch directly downwind straight up to 12 on your own. You can't do that with an lei I think.

I like the peak because I go solo a lot of times, but also because its such an easy kite to fly.
As a beginner I flew an LEI one lesson the rest I taught myself with Peaks. It's safe to do that and the progression can be really fast with these kites.
I also like that I can kite in much lower wind than most, this helped me progress even faster I think because I go out twice as often as my friends.
I went from zero to twin tip, to strapless SB in one summer last year. And this year I'm on a hydrofoil doing my first maneuvers. I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to do that on a regular kite. I would not have been able to afford 4 kites either.

It's not for everyone. But if you're getting into kiting and already know you want to ride waves or hydrofoil it makes more sense to skip an LEI altogether imo. I bought it for snowkite then my winter got cancelled because of corona so I though I'd learn how to fly it at home. Not even two years later I'm suddenly a hydrofoiler.. :lol:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:20 am

The real deciding question regarding "best kite ever made", would be: does it work with a SB? I had an opportunity today to give it try ... but in the end I stuck with the HF. Traveling with just a quiver of Peaks to use for HF & SB would be awesome simplicity.

NorthernKitesAu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 84
Local Beach: Townsville, QLD
Favorite Beaches: Altona, VIC
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Peter Lynn Arcs, Flysurfer, Ozone, everything
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby NorthernKitesAu » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:18 am

It's a rubbish over priced kite. Only for foilers and only for mowing the lawn. #yawn

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:33 am

launch directly downwind straight up to 12 on your own. You can't do that with an lei I think
Have done just that a good few times with brm clouds, works. Wouldn’t do in upper wind range.
Also did a couple times with ozone c4 bridled c kites - was a little spicy. Be careful,whatever kite you are launching.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:28 am

For me it’s simple, because Peak 4’s with large foils opened up conditions that I have never thought would be possible AND this much fun. If I lived somewhere with different wind conditions, I would probably have a different view on “the best kite” for the location.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:21 am

BWD wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:33 am
launch directly downwind straight up to 12 on your own. You can't do that with an lei I think
Have done just that a good few times with brm clouds, works. Wouldn’t do in upper wind range.
Also did a couple times with ozone c4 bridled c kites - was a little spicy. Be careful,whatever kite you are launching.

Agree, you can do this with LEI's, for foiling.

But mostly strutless, as otherwise too difficult to get it to stay put int the wind, ready to launch.

Problem is, you cant, well at least really difficult and risky, back it down in the same spot when session is over, at least only a chance if strutless IMO.

Most LEI's can't be flown precise in the same way, and even if you manage, they can only be landed LE up, where the Peak4 can be flown slowly in all directions, hovering over the ground, and put down LE or TE up - does not even have to be dead downwind, so you can land it very precisely between obstackles :thumb:

I use this feature a lot with Peaks, where I most often have to land my LEI's to the side (and Peaks can do this also) so not possible to land in many tight spots.

8) Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:27 pm

the ability to land the peak anywhere safely on land is also the same ability to crash the peak and not be able to water relaunch which I didn't really consider to be an advantage but I guess most kiters never crash their kites. I'm always crashing it trying tricks I only half understand.

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:50 pm

the only reason i bought a peak (8m) was because on really light wind days, i was either on the beach unable to get out on foil, or dropping my LEI in the water during lulls. meanwhile, my friends on peaks were buzzing around happily on their foils. end of story.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:17 pm

edt wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:27 pm
the ability to land the peak anywhere safely on land is also the same ability to crash the peak and not be able to water relaunch which I didn't really consider to be an advantage but I guess most kiters never crash their kites. I'm always crashing it trying tricks I only half understand.
It's true: I wouldn't choose a Peak to work on new moves where there is a good chance of dropping the kite. The place where Peaks shine is carving turns on waves & swell. Not the best choice for ultra light wind, racing, jumping or "freestyle tricks".
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
edt (Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”