Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FS Peak 4 Questions

For all foil kite riders
watercamper
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 146
Local Beach: US: the Columbia river Gorge, lower Columbia river, Oregon coast. Mexico: La Ventana (Rasta beach in El Sargento) BCS
Style: Foil mostly, Surf, TT on the ocean
Gear: Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8 UFO V2; 3, 9m V1.1
Slingshot 4,5,6,7,8,9m SST
Flysurfer Peak4, 4, 5, 6, 8: Peak5, 4
Flysurfer Hybrid 3.5
Naish Pivot 8,9m
Liquid Force Mission Control bars modified for foil with Infexion seat belt, DIY lines
Ocean Rodeo click bar
Lift Classic 150, 101 cm mast
Sabfoil W590/S330, 101 cm mast; W550/S325; W679/S483
Slingshot 2020 107cm micro Dwarf Craft board strapless, 11 liter
Slingshot 2022 100 cm Dwarf Craft, strapless, 11 liter
4'10" Firewire Evo Helium
Cabrinha 137 n 141 Tronic
Mystic, Ion, O'Neill, Buell, Patagonia, Pro-Tec, Liros, Infexion
Brand Affiliation: None

FS Peak 4 Questions

Postby watercamper » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:52 am

Just got a 4m and a 5m. I've never even looked at a foil kite up close. The ends of the 4 bridle lines end in loops. Integrated in these loops is a small metal ring. What is it for?

Can I also assume that it's not a problem to attach a set of pigtails to the bridle lines? All of my other kites have knots on the outside lines and loops on the center lines.

Anyone have a link to a video showing how to launch with a helper, self launch, land with a helper, self land?

Inside the bag, there are some lines and some tiny loops. It appears that all of this if for the B safe system?

Inside the kite bag, there is another smaller bag made of ripstop. It has a nice velcro closure. What is this for?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: FS Peak 4 Questions

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:51 am

If you post, or read first, in the Foil Kites section, there are thousands of posts about the Peak 4 :thumb:

The rings at the lines are genius, as it means you can connect any bar no matter if lines has loops or knots at the ends.

The extra lines are for the b-safe system, but most kitesurfers just remove the 5th line from the connect bar, or use their own 4 line bar as is.

Have never seen any helping in a launch, just sand one tip and launch sideways a bit downwind, or as most of us do for foiling, hot launch :rollgrin:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
watercamper (Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:50 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:38 am

watercamper wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:52 am
Just got a 4m and a 5m. I've never even looked at a foil kite up close. The ends of the 4 bridle lines end in loops. Integrated in these loops is a small metal ring. What is it for?

Can I also assume that it's not a problem to attach a set of pigtails to the bridle lines? All of my other kites have knots on the outside lines and loops on the center lines.

Anyone have a link to a video showing how to launch with a helper, self launch, land with a helper, self land?

Inside the bag, there are some lines and some tiny loops. It appears that all of this if for the B safe system?

Inside the kite bag, there is another smaller bag made of ripstop. It has a nice velcro closure. What is this for?
To be more specific: the loops at the end of the bridle lines can be larks head knotted around the the knot at the end of the line, while the ring allows you to larks head knot over the ring ... so it doesn't matter where you have the loops or knots at the end of your flying lines. A simple an elegant solution.

The small bag is for using as a sand bag to weight the tip of the kite for side launching.

Personally I always hot launch by putting the kite on its back with the trailing edge facing into the wind & putting sand (or some other weight) on the trailing edge to hold it down, then, with the flying lines running (more or less) directly downwind to the kite pulling lightly on the front lines to pull the kite up, immediately depowering the kite as it shoots up through the power zone.

Landing can be done either by dropping the kite to the ground at the side of the wind window & releasing tension on the flying lines so the kite collapses, or pulling on the back lines while the kite is at 12.00 so that the kite collapses & falls to the ground downwind (caution if the wind is quite strong).

I have never used an assisted launch, which is a bit tricky because the kite is so light & unstructured. An assisted landing can be useful - just ask the helper to grab the lower tip of the kite & pull it down to the ground & the kite will flag out.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
watercamper (Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:55 pm)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:32 pm

viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2401224&p=1123575 ... s#p1123575

Here are photos of the various possibilities with the rings

The small loops (little connector lines or LCL) and line in the bag are extras for repair. The LCLs are a designed weak link and meant to snap before the bridle or kite fabric damages on major impacts.

The lines on the winder are the connecting lines for a 5th line safety that is handy on snow, probably a really good idea for alpine riding, but unused by most hydrofoilers. The instructions for installation are in the provided manual. Here is a vid

The little rip stop bag is to fill with sand/rocks to weigh down the upwind tip for self launch…..never used it! I tend to weight the tip with the edge of my foil board or loose sand.

Don’t be intimidated by the sight of bridles. You will get used to them quickly. These kites are the easiest to self launch and land…. Also outlined in the manual. I clear my bridle pre launch by running a finger under and separating out the front most lateral bridle line on each side all the way back to each front flying line.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
watercamper (Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:52 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”