Ozone Reov4 7m

Moses Vorace 101 2017
w558 w590

Flysurfer Flysplit m
Brand Affiliation: None

Folding wingtip while missing a tack

Postby twig » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:47 pm

Hi

Have some of you experience with this problem with older foilkites while tacking?:

As I crash while missing a tack the foilkite has passed over head and is at between 1-2 a’clock on the new intended side of travel.
Im in the water.
At this point theres a risk that the Lower wingtip loses all linetension and is blowing with the wind in and over the bridle and is then really hard to get out of the bridle again. This happens Often for me and i rather train my gybes because nothing can go wrong when downlooping the kite.

While crashing the kite gets a extra yank in the front lines and is pushed towards the edge of the windwindow, and then the linetension is suddenly way less but still there. But like some curse the wingtip just start folding in between both frontlines/powerlines.

The kites i use are flysurfer sonic fr 18m and sonic race 21m.

Is there a tip to avoid this behaviour?

Pulling in the bar is probably a good thing, but its not always enough to help.
The best is to learning tack and not mess up, but its hard to learn when its a swim in after 2-3 tries every time.
The kites could maybe be trimmed for a bit more stability, but im not convinced that this would help the problem alot.
Getting modern kites in perfect trim is probably great way to go but so pricey.

Im trying to learning foilracing for fun.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Folding wingtip while missing a tack

Postby Jyoder » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:20 am

This used to happen to me when learning tacks in light wind on big high aspect foilkite. I realized eventually that I wasn’t turning the bar hard enough and was sheeting in too much and stalling the kite. It’s hard not to sheet in for lift and stability during foot switch mid tack but in light wind you need the kite to be moving fast through the window to keep up apparent wind.

1. Sheet out more or pull trim so stuffing bar doesn’t stall the kite.
2. Turn that bar hard! Bring your back hand and inch or two farther out toward bar end to get more leverage.
3. Maybe send the kite a bit later / start carving into the tack sooner so that kite has more window to travel through and has apparent wind during footswitch instead of sluggishly turning and stalling overhead as you try to catch up to the kite midtack.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
twig (Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:09 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”