Style: Big Air, Foil Race
Gear: Twintip, LEI
Moses 645/425 Foil
Diablo V2, Flysurfer Sonic2
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

R1V4 vs VMG2

Postby beebopbogo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:51 pm

So the 2021 race season is over and the racers are swapping out their old gear. Time to grab some good quality, discounted equipment!

Looking at the Ozone R1V4 and the Flysurfer VMG2, which would you prefer strictly for racing and race training?

I'm a new racer, pretty solid on the gybes but only 30% success on the tacks. I've heard the R1V4 is a bit easier to handle, but the VMG2 provides lift for days (ie, more time to get the feet situated on the tacks.) My goal here is to train hard, fix my tacking and beat last place in the odd race.

I do crash the kite once in a while when I trip up the foil at speed, but no problems keeping the kite flying while under control. I've got a year of high aspect foil kiting under my belt with the Mike's Lab under my feet.

There's plenty of info online about the pros, but nothing about the cons when comparing these kites. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: R1V4 vs VMG2

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:17 pm

I don't have great advice to give you. I've been doing my first races this season on Flysurfer Sonic 3s and I think I'm about to purchase my first VMG2. I have flown the VMG2 in 11m only, and I've flown older R1s but not the V4. I don't think you can really go wrong with either of them, but I get the impression that the VMG2 has a bit better wind range, and a bit better upwind performance, whereas the R1 has better downwind performance, and a more traditional design. I did not find the 11m VMG2 I flew to be difficult to fly at all, but it does seem to have a wide turning circle. And, like you said, I felt like tacking on it had stability comparable to my 13m Sonic 3.

Both kites need special handling to take care of with the battens in the VMG2 and the leading edge reinforcements in the R1. The simple 2-row bridles on the VMG2 are pretty cool, they almost feel like you're rigging up a LEI kite with how simple they are.

The R1 comes in more colors. :)
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post:
sonny2727 (Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:59 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”