Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: (test) Sky Country Spirit v2

Postby bitxopalo » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:26 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:36 pm

What is the "S"?

As I can remember, on the previous version, there was an 12m S variant which had higher AR.

Mi pulsion is the 12m light normal version. Iam sure is 32g.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:32 pm

yes exactly , "Pulsion S" has a slightly higher Aspect ratio like the above blue in the video; "S" version exists in 8m, 12m and 16m, while standard version exists in 3.7, 6, 9, 12 , 15 and 18.
27 gr is the highest cloth for Ben's kite;
which kite is in 24 gr?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:07 pm

Thanks, so the "S" Pulsion has more peak power?
Or is it a race design, so not better lowend but more speed and range?

Kauper XT Falcon is in, sorry my mistake not 24, but 25 g/m2: Falcon

My 11 m2 weighs 1485 gram, amazing.

Can ride it in ridiculously low wind, and it turs really fast, also because of its low weight - and accelerates okay going up also.

Sorry, this was off topic, but you asked Regis :D

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
sonny2727 (Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:27 am) • Regis-de-giens (Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:41 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:01 pm

My Spirit v2 is made of 32 gr cloth (cause i will use it on snow); i put it on a 'human scale' and by difference i found 1.8 kg which is very nice for a 32 gr. You can ask for lighter cloth 27 gr as well if use is for marginal winds and low weight rider. But IMO 12m2 is too small to have fun and speed under 6 knots.

Falcon seems a good kite as well ; I would love to test one, ; Falcon is 1.7 kg in 13m2, so similar to Spirit 27gr I suppose.

About the Pulsion, indeed, "S" has a slightly larger ratio, so closer to a race design yes =
- less grunt during water start or at small speed
- more speed when crossing the wind window, better speed and upwind angle.

Back to the spirit v2: its ratio is 5.5 , so approx in between the pulsion and pulsion S (Falcon is a bit less with 5.25) ; On the video I had standard thick lines , 23 meters long. Kite was really agile in this low wind; very trustfull kite in this low breeze even with "thick" lines .

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:31 am

I did a first real test on the snow yesterday ; really happy because it was more than 2 month I had not kite due to shoulder surgery;

The kite Spririt2 is really pleasant and I loved my session yesterday. Kite launches and relaunches in very low wind, then it is powerful in low end (7 knots at the beginning) ; it is stable, does not want to dive to the ground; its loops is really excellent at the first half of the turn (respond quicker than the pulsion, turns short and round with enough power) while its radius increase at the second half of the turn: i.e. when looping to climb a mountain, if kite was initially lower than half of the window, you need to force it a bit more in the end if you do not want to rip the ground; no big deal because it is in the average kites ( far better than my ex-speed 4 that I disliked for exemple).

Wind began to be more gusty but kite was still trusty and stable ; overall the kite get backward naturally when a turbulence comes, you do not need to check it a lot ; However in two big turbulences , I got 2 frontstalls , and it came back to normal before touching the ground ( kite never collapsed fully in two up to the ground), good point; no kite crash during the session. This session in 8-15 knots was excellent, including climbing loops, low end in wind shadows, soaring at 2-3 meter elevations from the ground ... really a nice kite that bring lots of confidence and significantly more performant upwind than the Ozone summit of my friend on a snowboard (Aspect Ratio is higher on the Spirit2).

Some very small tips instabilities when kite very low and if wind dies, like normal I would say but nothing serious nor changing your ride. Bar pressure is just fine. I would recommend a 60 cm bar on the snow to shorten the radius at the end of the loops when climbing.

In the afternoon wind died , then after our sandwich, a breeze went back to about 5-6 knots, the time to relaunch, and only one minute later : 25 knot of gusty wind ... I broke one front line of my bar and it led to a break of one Z Bridge (this happens ... bridles are thin but it is hard to say if it is too fragile or not since I broke the front line first ... ) ; my friends on the Summit had to release the kite and broken its 5th line as well ... ; so , it was too violent and short to assess the depower and the high end of the kite. It seems more pleasant in high end than the pulsion but a bit less instant depower than the FRS , to be confirmed since not really assessed through only one gust.

The flight qualities are excellent , I would say it is between a Pulsion (power, plug and play, stability) and a FRS (good loop even slack lines, high end), more agile and light than a Soul IMO; For the price asked it is really an excellent price/quality ratio. To me one (if not the best), of the kites for my all-round practice on snow.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
geron (Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:38 pm

and now !!!! the video just finish editing :)
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
Sceotend (Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:19 am) • irwe (Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:33 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:11 pm

That kite looks quite good. Compared to some simple designs it should be no brainer which one to buy and if it is cheap(er) even more so.

But I can't see how well that kite really behaves or what it is capable of. Mostly I mean boosting on flat ground, that is the ultimate test for kite performance. In short: can you get some air with it

Every kite can be used for going back and forth.Those few collapses are a bit suspicious though

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:36 pm

If you want pure "performance" in term of jump and hang Time, a race kite will be more adapted.

If you need agility, easiness , stability , regular and powerful loop to climb the hills, a moderate ratio like this spiritv2 will be better.

I have show thé best i could

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:18 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:36 pm
If you want pure "performance" in term of jump and hang Time, a race kite will be more adapted.

If you need agility, easiness , stability , regular and powerful loop to climb the hills, a moderate ratio like this spiritv2 will be better.

I have show thé best i could
Ok, but like I've told earlier you as a light weight and (mostly) as light wind rider have a quite different view for kites than many if not most have. For example one of my kiting friends uses 18m Sonic as a big air kite over 20kn winds and he don't do practically at all light wind kiting. He wouldn't get much from your big kite reviews.

Race kites are not a clear choice for boosting because big sizes are slow and small sizes can be dangerous. When you boost on hard surface like ice you have to trust your kite.

I'd like to know how that Sky Country (first time I heard from the brand is this thread) compares to known kites like Soul etc. Anyway, it looks pretty nice kite except those D-ribs look a bit weirdly located... have they run out of fabric?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:55 am

Just for clarification, when wind allows it , i like being Well "charged" and despite my light weight, i ride similar sizes as other heavier guys on the spot. I am not focussed only on light wind and this Spirit 12 is neither " Big" nor my light wind kite.

Return to “Foil Kites”