Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any Pulsion 18M Flyers Who Can Help Me With Mine?

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Any Pulsion 18M Flyers Who Can Help Me With Mine?

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:09 am

Longer lines will be at least far easier to waterstart...

I am a kind of advocate but ... Free of charge !!! Lol. Just that I like what Pulsion brought me in term of ride extensions in lower range of wind. Now other free ride kite like frs or Falcon or Sky country Spirit v2 ( I put a lot of hopes in my new Spirit v2 12m) are quite similar but still pulsion remains IMO the Queen of marginal wind :-)

About rear line attachment: attaching the line further from the kite is exactly the same as pulling more on your trim strap...
So put the knot in the "middle" and relocate it at the extremity of the rope only if you feel your trim has not enough stroke to depower the kite .

I did not answer on coating : personally i do nothing until kite has to 20-40 hours of ride, then I put nikwax on the cloth. This, in theory, protect from UV, and is repellant to ease the relaunch. Hard to guaranty the efficiency though, but i do it as a safeguard and i feel it has improved the relaunch from water. This can make the cloth a bit less porus in case of wear of this thin 27gr cloth; there is a dedicated post on the recoating .
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
Kiterdoug (Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kiterdoug
Rare Poster
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Turtle
Lido
Skyway
Style: swell when we have it.
Gear: Armstrong
Pulsion 12
Pulsion 18
Peak 4 4m
Peak 5 6 m
Peak 5 8 m

Postby Kiterdoug » Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:40 pm

Someone suggested that I should set my depower setting to the point where if I pull my bar in all the way that the kite doesn't start to back stall? They said that way on the water start, I would not lose any power. What say you with this kite? Also, when you do a water start, and you loop it, do you pull your bar in all the way or part of the way or not at all?

Thanks again for your invaluable advice.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:16 pm

Kiterdoug wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:40 pm
Someone suggested that I should set my depower setting to the point where if I pull my bar in all the way that the kite doesn't start to back stall? They said that way on the water start, I would not lose any power. What say you with this kite? Also, when you do a water start, and you loop it, do you pull your bar in all the way or part of the way or not at all?

Thanks again for your invaluable advice.

This is wrong...

But also very individual.

I want my Pulsion (and other kites) to backstall with bar pulled.

But for a waterstart you dont pull the bar all the way (well, some do, and then they got a problem) for max power.

When looped, it should not be pulled all the way in.
The less wind, the less it should be pulled, in order to still have speed thus power.

I got a 15 m2 Pulsion, and the lighter the wind, the more depowered you have to ride and trim the kite, just like all other kites.

So my advice is, be careful not to choke the kite.
Find the point yourself, being aware pulling too much is the worst you can do - others cant help you as we got individual trim settings each and everyone.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Kiterdoug (Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:48 am)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:57 pm

I agree with all good statement from Peter ! and P18m is very close to P15m, just a slight higher ratio, so P18 like the "sheet-out" even more !

I also like light backstall, which can help sometimes ; and in marginal wind , it is back stalling even fully trimed when you sheet in fully ; in marginal wind ridable limit, i fully trim ! and as said i do not pull fully on the bar during water start
Peter , have you tried different knot setting on your P15 ? any preferences ?
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
Kiterdoug (Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:50 am)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:11 pm

I have put it on one knot more camber, as I only use it below 7 knots with my 78 kg.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
Regis-de-giens (Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:41 pm) • Kiterdoug (Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:51 am)
Rating: 6.06%

stefFZ
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless surfing
Gear: Concept Air Waves & Pulsions. Still a couple of Flysurfers P4.

Postby stefFZ » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:31 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:16 pm
This is wrong...

But also very individual.

I want my Pulsion (and other kites) to backstall with bar pulled.
I don't think it is wrong, I set all my CA Waves without backstall when the bar is fully in for surfing waves (with a surfboard). CA waves do not need backstalling for surfing, they have enough drift and live their life quite well when surfing down the line (without using kite traction ... at least I try).

Pulsion are another matter so there are no general rules.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:22 pm

My point was, in this thread about the biggest CA Pulsion kites, that you dont have to trim so you can pull the bar all the way in, when you loop it.

Yes, you have to keep it flying fast, not too tight rear lines - but this can be done by having the bar a tad further away from you.

That was my point, that it is very individual.

Off topic, but for small wavefoilkites, it is also individual preferences - with my Peak4 kites (and normal wave tube kites) I prefer the kite backstalls when pulled fully, as then I can carve around leaning forward, without having to pull the bar in an odd way towards my harness and arm bent a lot, but instead I can bottom turn more relaxed leaning into the turn with bar in a more natural position.

Besides, sometimes you can back the kite further down into the window - nice to be able to, now and then.

Regarding the big Pulsion kites, well if you have a tendency to easily oversheet, then yes, it might be good that it can be sheeted all the way in without choking the kite.
But if you have a feel for this point, you can utilize a bit more of the kites performance, being able to power it up even more, on occasion, when it has speed.

My preference, others like that they can not choke the kite by mistake.

8) Peter

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:51 pm

I would like to share (again) this old video of a nice ride with the Pu18, because it highlights where this 18m is good at:
in this very light wind, riding would have been a nightmare in 12m, feasible but "tricky and limit" in 15m, while a lot of fun in pu18m.

this is why I love it :-)

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi Regis
Those lines seems longer than 30m isnt it?

I am building a experiment new bar with 0.8 fishing lines, do you protect the first 5-6m of thin lines to avoid abrasion?... Or let them crossing whitout any protection?

Good video :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Arent fishing lines "soft", or am I wrong here?

Thats the last thing you want in order to get max power (if true), that they are flexible and stretch under load.

I use 0.8(3) mm lines too, sometimes 0.6 mm rear lines (and still the Liros Pro 0.83 mm front lines)

But my leader lines are thicker and strong, still only around 2 mm but sheathed racing line, goes up just above the crossing point, so I dont wear the thin lines here.

8) Peter

Return to “Foil Kites”