Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Foil Kite landing assistance

Postby edt » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:50 pm

mr-markus wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:30 pm
If there's nobody left for me to grab my foil i use the same method i use for my LEI in high winds (when alone). I try to put the tip as steady as possible on the beach and grab the lower frontline,let the bar go, walk slightly upwind and towards the kite whilest haulin the line in, stay low with the foilkite, with LEI it doesnt matter( works also in 40knots with LEI) works for me anyway.
dude make a video. I've never seen this technique before for a foil. my kite always spins on the front line so I always just flag out and race to the kite while hauling line.

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:20 am

i will try asap.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:01 pm

To what edt has said here, and earlier in this thread, I would like to add that if you think using the quick release is not an option, then there is almost no point at all in having one.

When you find yourself in a situation where you really need to use it, you won't have time to think about it.

Everyone. Just for your own safety; practice using it, know what to expect, and feel comfortable using it as an option.
edt wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:38 pm
rnelias wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:22 pm
QR is not an option on our local spot. We don't have much space to flag out the kite...
You can't be out in the water swimming and flag the kite on to your postage stamp sized beach? It doesn't take much space at all to flag the kite, the same space as to backstall. If there's no room to flag it there's no room to backstall it either!

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:30 am

RE the comments above about when you are on a big kite and the wind kicks up quickly and you have to land super overpowered my goto method is per Adventure Logs video method 7 - chuck it in the water near the waters edge, wait until its stuck to the water then release and run to the kite. Its so rare you ever have to do that, I don't think I have had to do it once. The walking up the lower front line method sounds good and of course remember you can always just drop the line if it pulls too hard and really run like hell after your kite -but at least you are safe. Also worth noting that a full kite ditch on a large beach isn't as bad as it sounds either, if you really are in danger just cut it loose and start running, often a foil kite won't go very far and won't be powered up without you to drag along. I am also keen to try that method in another thread of a tethered line with a carabiner that you connect to a steering line near your bar and then put kite down low and walk back, then when the carabiner is up almost near the bridle haul the line in to flag the kite and walk up to it. The benefit is the flagged kite is nearer to the flagging point so less flapping and spinning etc. Like most racers I don't run a single line flag-out but I have never encountered a situation where i have needed one.

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:53 am

So I just told my wife about this idea of holding the lower front line to self land (she's a racer) and I suggested this as an option for self landing when its getting dangerous and she informs me that she already does this on some occasions. She goes on to say that she actually did this the other day in 25kn on her 9m race kite when the bridle got a knot in it during launch and started wildly powering up and moving around, she grabbed the lower side front line and released the bar. She said it was super hard to hold onto but she managed it! So there you go, some confirmation this works in strong wind, and also the added benefit that if its getting proper dangerous you just let the line go of the line and run fast to the kite. I am keen to try this myself, will advise how it goes.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby darippah » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:14 pm

mr-markus wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:30 pm
If there's nobody left for me to grab my foil i use the same method i use for my LEI in high winds (when alone). I try to put the tip as steady as possible on the beach and grab the lower frontline,let the bar go, walk slightly upwind and towards the kite whilest haulin the line in, stay low with the foilkite, with LEI it doesnt matter( works also in 40knots with LEI) works for me anyway.
Tried this a few hours ago in low to mid 20's on my 10m Soul. It seemed to be working too well and then the kite took off and started pulling hard. I grabbed a back line and that tamed it instantly.

Usually I backstall my foil kites and walk up all 4 lines. If I feel the kite is powering up or taking off I hold one back line and let go of the others. I don't like this method because the kite usually spins.

I will try this again, however I think a rear line might be a safer option for me
These users thanked the author darippah for the post:
nothing2seehere (Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”