Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: can you unhook with the peak?

Postby Flyboy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:23 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:49 am
The question was unhooking.

My understanding was the OP was about unhooking with reference to "a wakestyle foil kite".

My point is the Peak4 may work well for underpowered wave riding unhooked, but is the farthest thing from a wakestyle kite. Its performance characteristics don't lend itself to that at all.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
airsail (Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:12 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:48 pm

For sure that’s what the OP was getting at, I just thought I’d say more than just NO !

Peaks fly super well unhooked but are not even twin tip worthy let alone wakestyle capable.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:27 pm

still shopping for that 12m pyscho 4. The whole point of having a foil kite is that I can pack both the soul and theoretical wakestyle kite into a backpack no pump, small packdown, bring one twintip and that way I can be ready for a session no matter what. I don't consider it a real session until I do some unhooked tricks and some board offs. The huge packdown savings is what I really like. Have a lot of great wakestyle kites but it's just so much to bring all the time. The peak 4 intrigued me because of the ridiculous packdown but there's no way this is an option for me. Just not the right characteristics.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:19 pm

I don’t think I could stay upwind with an 8 or 6m Peak4 and my fairly rockered 142x42 with boots.

Might work as novelty in a tiny little wind range but would be loads of work holding ground and you’d be either over done and flapping or under done and bombing down wind.

Doubt I could have much fun on a standard short board thruster with a Peak4 either. Certainly not anything with any tail rocker, but just like other wave kites that sit deep, could be great with a flat wide easy planing quad.

The only twin tip your popping non sent airs under a Peak4 is a snowboard. Perfect kite to unhook and hit kickers and sliders on snow.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:35 pm

great answers by the way. Rarely has a kite been flown by so many people with such great reviews. And by great I mean accurate. I mean it's not my kind of kite but I think I know exactly what it's capable of. On the snowboard I usually get out the shovel and build a huge kicker so I can get some handle passes in with the soul even though it has no pop.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:53 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:19 pm
I don’t think I could stay upwind with an 8 or 6m Peak4 and my fairly rockered 142x42 with boots.

Might work as novelty in a tiny little wind range but would be loads of work holding ground and you’d be either over done and flapping or under done and bombing down wind.

Doubt I could have much fun on a standard short board thruster with a Peak4 either. Certainly not anything with any tail rocker, but just like other wave kites that sit deep, could be great with a flat wide easy planing quad.

The only twin tip your popping non sent airs under a Peak4 is a snowboard. Perfect kite to unhook and hit kickers and sliders on snow.
I've barely been on a SB since I got the Peaks, partly because the wind has been so crappy & I 've been focused on foiling. I expect to be in the DR for a couple of months this winter & would bring my SB for good wave days. It would be amazing to be able to only travel with Peaks ... but I don't have enough confidence in their ability to work well with a SB. This means taking tube kites for 18 - 25 knot conditions. I'll certainly give the Peaks a try with a SB ... but it's hard to imagine how that would work. In around 20 knots I'd use an 8m or 9m wave kite - this has power similar to a 6m Peak, but in anything more than 15 knots the 6m Peak flaps like crazy. Might work better heading more downwind, but that would leave you unable to get back upwind.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:53 pm
jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:19 pm

I've barely been on a SB since I got the Peaks, partly because the wind has been so crappy & I 've been focused on foiling. I expect to be in the DR for a couple of months this winter & would bring my SB for good wave days. It would be amazing to be able to only travel with Peaks ... but I don't have enough confidence in their ability to work well with a SB. This means taking tube kites for 18 - 25 knot conditions. I'll certainly give the Peaks a try with a SB ... but it's hard to imagine how that would work. In around 20 knots I'd use an 8m or 9m wave kite - this has power similar to a 6m Peak, but in anything more than 15 knots the 6m Peak flaps like crazy. Might work better heading more downwind, but that would leave you unable to get back upwind.
When you use the Peak4 with a surfboard or TT in high winds I don't think you'll find it flaps. It only flaps on the foil because you sheet out more when you're foiling as foils don't need much power. Don't forget the Peak4 was designed to pull skiers/boarders up mountains and that really loads them up :o

You're loading up the Peak4 much more with surface planing boards and therefore the wind range is a lot higher. If you can do a good downwinder with good waves on a surfboard with your Peak4 you'll hate your LEI surf kites :D The drift on the Peak4 means you can concentrate on surfing and not keeping the kite in the air.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
Flyboy (Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:32 pm

You Can also think about the new Skycountry Hysper2, which is a Peak with closed LE. A bit like Conceptair Firefly but higher aspect ratio, similar to the peak.
It seems to have a bit more lift than a Peak and excellent relaunch (which is the reason for my sell of my ex Peak. I have bought a hysoper3 4m and 8 m, not tested yet (recouvert from surgery).

I am thinking of a 14m in light cloth, for Hook and unhook on a Big foil 1200 or 1700 ( wing)

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:18 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:53 pm
but in anything more than 15 knots the 6m Peak flaps like crazy. Might work better heading more downwind, but that would leave you unable to get back upwind.
If I push hard upwind by edging the foil (straps help) my 5m will not flap until much stronger than 15kts.

Then as you say, it will not flap on the downwind track either.

Peaks flap mostly when you are just foiling around 90 degrees of the wind, "travers" for French or "beam reaching" for others.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:33 pm

drsurf wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:00 pm

When you use the Peak4 with a surfboard or TT in high winds I don't think you'll find it flaps. It only flaps on the foil because you sheet out more when you're foiling as foils don't need much power. Don't forget the Peak4 was designed to pull skiers/boarders up mountains and that really loads them up :o

You're loading up the Peak4 much more with surface planing boards and therefore the wind range is a lot higher. If you can do a good downwinder with good waves on a surfboard with your Peak4 you'll hate your LEI surf kites :D The drift on the Peak4 means you can concentrate on surfing and not keeping the kite in the air.
Interesting. The few occasions I've been out in plus 20 knots plus this season I've mostly been on the foil using a 3.5 Boxer. Only 3 or 4 decent SB sessions in 25 knots plus. I'll definitely be giving the Peaks with the SB a try during my upcoming trip.

Return to “Foil Kites”