Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:36 pm

Weather and my shoulder haven't cooperated much but I've had two shorter sessions on my Peak5 6m. I only have the Peak4 in 3m so I can't do a direct comparison but this is what I noticed.

Wing feels/looks cleaner and it seems to hold its shape slack line better than my P4 3m.
I used it with a bar with a super long throw and it will still flap if I completely depower. I usually ride with my hand resting on the bar with a little pressure even when depowered to help with the flutter and had 0 flapping doing this.
I haven't been able to try out the range since I've only rode around 10kts on my 633/100cm board but it rode great at that wind speed.
Seems slightly more lofty but that could be just the larger size factor. It turned faster than I was expecting.
The bar throw is a little longer which I think is an improvement. Still more of a on/off type of pull and had no problems riding down the line downwind into the kite.
Haven't dropped it in the drink yet to try to relaunch but I'm not holding my breath on that.
Actually had a slight issue out of the bag, during the first couple minutes in the air the corner of the wing would collapse. By the time I got back in the issue solved itself. I'm assume it was just a tangled bridle line since I don't do any preinspection whatnot, just hook the lines and go.
Have a 2.5m on order and just the couple session on this 6m has made me pretty excited for it. Been using my Peak4 3m much more recently and look forward to the comparison.

=Jason-
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
a99 (Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:02 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:36 pm
Weather and my shoulder haven't cooperated much but I've had two shorter sessions on my Peak5 6m.
I haven't been able to try out the range since I've only rode around 10kts on my 633/100cm board but it rode great at that wind speed.
Seems slightly more lofty but that could be just the larger size factor. It turned faster than I was expecting.
=Jason-
Thanks for probably first more deeper p5 6m review! What turning speed of 6m can be comparable with Lei type kite? Turning as 8m or 7m Lei? Do you think it has power to get up on foil for about 67 kg person on 8 knots with 633 and large board?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:30 pm

I am pretty sure it will be your wind limit, 8 knots with 67 kg and a 6 m2.

Just possible yes, but probably not easy.

Turning speed is difficult to compare, as they turn a bit different than LEI's.

I would say it turns like something between a 6 and a 7 m2 LEI, and not bigger - as bigger LEI's turns slower than the 6 m2 Peak.
They turn blistering fast and well IMO, as long as you dont go into 8 m2 or bigger.

But you can not compare, as Peak kites can literally turn on a dime - pin wheeling, something LEI can not do, at least not well.
So it does not make that much sense to compare turning speed :wink:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
a99 (Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:43 pm)

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:41 pm

a99 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:02 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Weather and my shoulder haven't cooperated much but I've had two shorter sessions on my Peak5 6m.
=Jason-
Thanks for probably first more deeper p5 6m review! What turning speed of 6m can be comparable with Lei type kite? Turning as 8m or 7m Lei? Do you think it has power to get up on foil for about 67 kg person on 8 knots with 633 and large board?
I haven't ridden an LEI in a LONG time so I can't really compare it but the turning speed seems slightly slower than my Soul2 6m but it also turns differently/more direct. You can backstall turn/spin it fairly easily but I personally think that's fairly easy to do with any kite as long as the bar is setup for it. I haven't gotten the chance yet to try the extreme low end yet but for reference I'm roughly 85kg and I also ride a 633 but I only use a pocket 100cm board. I think you should be able to do 8kts at your weight with a large board and longer lines. If you haven't flown a Peak it is different getting up on foil as well.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
a99 (Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:52 pm)

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:48 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:41 pm
a99 wrote:
Adventure Logs wrote:
=Jason-
I haven't ridden an LEI in a LONG time so I can't really compare it but the turning speed seems slightly slower than my Soul2 6m but it also turns differently/more direct. You can backstall turn/spin it fairly easily but I personally think that's fairly easy to do with any kite as long as the bar is setup for it. I haven't gotten the chance yet to try the extreme low end yet but for reference I'm roughly 85kg and I also ride a 633 but I only use a pocket 100cm board. I think you should be able to do 8kts at your weight with a large board and longer lines. If you haven't flown a Peak it is different getting up on foil as well.
Thanks. In you 1.5 year old video youtu.be/dRvUMlV-zhE you talking that if you can choose between Peak4 3m and Soul 6m you will choose Soul. So interesting why you still bought Peak5 6m if Soul has a lot more advantages how you said. Soul definitely has bigger range plus if can use used for jumps and tt. Still peak 6m as i understand has about 1-1.5 meter lower range for getting up, but it has much more limited upper range. Only regarding bigger lowend feature you bought it? Maybe you can tell already more your thought in comparission of 6m Peak and Soul?
These users thanked the author a99 for the post:
khaakon (Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:13 pm)

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:46 pm

Review from Riftboards , mainly on the 11m on snow
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
khaakon (Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:13 pm)

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:49 pm

a99 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:48 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:41 pm
a99 wrote:

Thanks. In you 1.5 year old video youtu.be/dRvUMlV-zhE you talking that if you can choose between Peak4 3m and Soul 6m you will choose Soul. So interesting why you still bought Peak5 6m if Soul has a lot more advantages how you said. Soul definitely has bigger range plus if can use used for jumps and tt. Still peak 6m as i understand has about 1-1.5 meter lower range for getting up, but it has much more limited upper range. Only regarding bigger lowend feature you bought it? Maybe you can tell already more your thought in comparission of 6m Peak and Soul?
I really haven't been able to ride the Peak5 6m enough yet to be able to give a full comparison to the Soul2 6m. This is what I've noticed though.

I think the Peak5 has a lower starting point. I have yet to really do a low end side to side but it just feels like it has a better low end. Soul has the larger range and top end.

Soul turns faster overall. The Peak is more reactive so it's more direct in turning, but the Soul will speed up through the turn. Why the loop is stronger on the Soul. Peak is easier to pivot turn but with a bar setup like me, I can turn the Soul fairly similarly.

Peak is a little easier or more hands off to drift. Just requires less skill to do it and keep it where you want down the line.

The Soul is easier to handle over powered. Has longer bar through which I prefer since I use bars with long throws.

Still prefer the Soul over the Peak though for at the very least that I know I will be able to relaunch it. With the Peaks I find myself more cautious and won't push myself to progress because I don't want to risk swimming in. Also the Souls greatly out preforms the Peak in everything else. And when it comes down to it, I can do everything I want to do with Peak with my Soul, it's just a little more difficult to do it.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 3):
a99 (Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:40 pm) • airsail (Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:06 pm) • khaakon (Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:46 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:05 pm

It will be interesting to see when spring and summer comes (here on the Northern hemisphere), as eventhough I ride the Peak5 in 6 m2 often, I can not compare to the Peak4.

Till later, when not winter and friends with Peak4 in 6 is out.

I am always doubtful - even at my own findings, that what we experience with the new kite, is because we are prejudiced of what we expect them to do :wink:

Meaning, even if they were identical in flying characteristics - we might find the expected differences to be true, no matter what :rollgrin:

I know it sounds odd, but I want to compare neck and neck before I can tell much more.
It goes for the other reviews also IMO.

Not dissing anything - just saying it is NOT easy to test :naughty:

8) Peter

Sceotend
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 90 kg
Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m

Postby Sceotend » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:16 pm

One should test similarly used kites against each other. Peak 5 might me a better kite than Peak 4 but part of the relative goodness might come from the fact that it's usually the newer kite in the test.

Allarounder
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Gear: Flysurfer soul 10m

Postby Allarounder » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:56 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:49 pm

Still prefer the Soul over the Peak though for at the very least that I know I will be able to relaunch it. With the Peaks I find myself more cautious and won't push myself to progress because I don't want to risk swimming in. Also the Souls greatly out preforms the Peak in everything else. And when it comes down to it, I can do everything I want to do with Peak with my Soul, it's just a little more difficult to do it.
What wind range you use the soul 6m for ?
And what kites do you have along it ?

Return to “Foil Kites”