Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby drsurf » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:13 am

A 4m Peak5 is a requirement, not an option :D

Followed by a 5m Peak5. With the low cost of a Peak kite, it's worth having all these sizes. Evens out the wear and tear and enables you to have the perfect size for every condition. Along with a standard line length bar and a shorter line length bar, you'll have just about all wind strengths covered up to 30-40 knots :D
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
giando (Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ieism » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:23 am

Maybe I'm too dumb, or there is an alternative manual out that tha mentions this but i can't figure out what I'm doing wrong shortening the lines. I basically have to take the steering lines over the leader and take a part out nearest the bar. Then the b-safe is sort of more form the top as well as the black front lines that have to be taken of completly at the top.

This is on a connect bar from Flysurfer. I mean, it's done now but it's not an easy or fast swap. I just don't get why they dont take everything of the top of the lines near the kite then, that would safe you a lot of work and could mean you can swap in longer lines much faster. Am I missing something very obvious here?

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:47 pm

drsurf wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:13 am
A 4m Peak5 is a requirement, not an option :D

Followed by a 5m Peak5. With the low cost of a Peak kite, it's worth having all these sizes. Evens out the wear and tear and enables you to have the perfect size for every condition. Along with a standard line length bar and a shorter line length bar, you'll have just about all wind strengths covered up to 30-40 knots :D
I recently got a 4m peak5, I find it not quite as magical as my 3m peak4, and not even close to the same top end. No way could I ride the 4m to 30 knots, around 20 it is starting to get uncomfortable. It is a good kite, but I find it to fill a gap between the 3m (the finest kite I’ve ever touched) and the 5m (a close second place). Not sure whether it is the size or changes to the new edition, but not quite there for me. The peak5 seems better at relaunch, slightly better upwind, and more power in loop, so it fixes everything I didn’t like as much about peak4, but not quite as magical when flying. Might be the size, might need to break in, or maybe I just need more time with it.

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:48 pm

Just for fun, I flew my 6m Peak 5 on really short (9m) lines yesterday in 18+ knot gusty winds. I used (3) 3m Flysurfer extension sets for the test. Worked fine, but didn't try any loops since so close to the water!

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:05 am

Riiiiight... I feel like it's time to refresh my Peak4 a bit, I've had my 5 and 8 since August 2019, and they've had shit-tons of use. (got the 4m last year, with very little use so far). I was considering getting the Peak5 5m, and selling the old one for a few hundies, but I'm also wondering if I shouldn't be getting the 6m instead, (and possibly keeping the old 5). I feel like I really need the 8m in my quiver (95kg), specially for snow. And I don't think the 6 will make that disappear. It will only shift some of the middle overlap somewhere else. 4 6 8 vs 4 5 8 vs 4 5 6 8... ?
I guess I've been super happy with the 5m, probably my most used kite, so I should stick to that size, and a 6 would be less fun to use than a 5. But on the other hand, some powered sessions on the 8 would become sessions on the 6, and be more fun.

The kites still feel perfectly fine, but I don't think they'll last forever either, and specially for snowkiting, reliability is important, hence why it'd make sense to replace the 5m. Maybe the 8 at a later stage.

Funny it feels like I'm trying to present a case to an hypothetical wife in control of the household budget, but there's none of that... it's just a bit of indecision...

Anyway, amazing kites, countless hours on them, and despite some very light fabric and tiny bridle lines, and a general lack of care, they still have plenty of life in them.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
Sceotend (Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:07 am)

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:42 am

bragnouff wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:05 am
Riiiiight... I feel like it's time to refresh my Peak4 a bit, I've had my 5 and 8 since August 2019, and they've had shit-tons of use. (got the 4m last year, with very little use so far). I was considering getting the Peak5 5m, and selling the old one for a few hundies, but I'm also wondering if I shouldn't be getting the 6m instead, (and possibly keeping the old 5). I feel like I really need the 8m in my quiver (95kg), specially for snow. And I don't think the 6 will make that disappear. It will only shift some of the middle overlap somewhere else. 4 6 8 vs 4 5 8 vs 4 5 6 8... ?
I guess I've been super happy with the 5m, probably my most used kite, so I should stick to that size, and a 6 would be less fun to use than a 5. But on the other hand, some powered sessions on the 8 would become sessions on the 6, and be more fun.

The kites still feel perfectly fine, but I don't think they'll last forever either, and specially for snowkiting, reliability is important, hence why it'd make sense to replace the 5m. Maybe the 8 at a later stage.

Funny it feels like I'm trying to present a case to an hypothetical wife in control of the household budget, but there's none of that... it's just a bit of indecision...

Anyway, amazing kites, countless hours on them, and despite some very light fabric and tiny bridle lines, and a general lack of care, they still have plenty of life in them.
I'm the same weight, I only got a Peak 5 in 6m, took it out snowkiting in 10-15 knots slushy warm snow and old snowboard, was able to drag me a bit on fairly even terrain. That was my first and only time so far. If that helps lol.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:42 am

bragnouff wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:05 am

Just get them all in the range that you need for foiling and snowkiting, they're not expensive. Each size has a sweet spot which maximises the fun for your given discipline. You'll also equalise the wear across your kites. If you don't leave them flapping in the sun for days, in my experience they wear very little and they'll retain their value if you want to sell them for a newer Peak.

Given that you have access to the snow in winter and foiling in summer you've got all the justification you need to get Peaks in all the sizes you want. Get 'em and have more fun :D :D Your hypothetical wife said more kiting makes you sexier :wink:
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
bragnouff (Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:49 am)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:03 pm

To cover both snow and foiling I highly recommend:

3m, 4m, 5m, 6m, and 8m
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
drsurf (Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:34 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:55 pm

bragnouff, get the 6 m2, and keep the other ones.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:47 pm

The 6 meter peak 4 is surprisingly good compared to the 8 meter. Very much similar to the 5 meter, but noticably more power.

I haven't had a chance to try any peak 5s yet.

Return to “Foil Kites”