Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby drsurf » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:39 pm

a99 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:52 am
By the way i can’t understand why Flysurfer hiding technical data of Peak5 :)? No info provided in their website about asoect ratio, surface m2, cells, flat lenght, weight and etc. Why?
The technical data is irrelevant compared to flying the Peak5. As has been mentioned Flysurfer are dealing with a lot of supply chain issues and in Australia we haven't even seen a Peak5 yet.
As you're in Europe and seem to have some Peak5 kites available, get one and try it yourself and give some feedback to the forum instead of expecting everyone else to give answers to you. If you don't like it you won't have trouble selling it.

You have to understand that this forum is a two way process where people share their experiences with kites and other equipment and benefit from others doing the same.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post (total 3):
tomtom (Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:19 pm) • Peter_Frank (Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:12 pm) • Adventure Logs (Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:57 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby a99 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:11 pm

I just would like to decide before buying such type of kite for hydrofoiling between Peak5, Sky country Hysper, Casper, new forth coming Born Kite Hydra Kite and probably Fire fly, therefore to have tech data is of course quite useful. But any way as i understand Flysurfer hasn’t changed any tech parameters except weight and material. Alsoi hope in spring Flysurfer finally will release his hybrid kite dedicated for foiling. But it is hard to expect that it will be lighter than Peak5 and not more expensive.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:20 pm

a99 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:11 pm
I just would like to decide before buying such type of kite for hydrofoiling between Peak5, Sky country Hysper, Casper, new forth coming Born Kite Hydra Kite and probably Fire fly, therefore to have tech data is of course quite useful. But any way as i understand Flysurfer hasn’t changed any tech parameters except weight and material.
The most entertaining option is to buy the hysper (for kiteforum)! Peak 5 has an extra row of bridles and the nylon battons go almost all the way to the trailing edge (with a kind of joint where the old ones ended). I hope the narrow windrange has improved a bit.
These users thanked the author lederhosen for the post:
a99 (Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:10 pm

lederhosen wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:20 pm
a99 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:11 pm
I just would like to decide before buying such type of kite for hydrofoiling between Peak5, Sky country Hysper, Casper, new forth coming Born Kite Hydra Kite and probably Fire fly, therefore to have tech data is of course quite useful. But any way as i understand Flysurfer hasn’t changed any tech parameters except weight and material.
The most entertaining option is to buy the hysper (for kiteforum)! Peak 5 has an extra row of bridles and the nylon battons go almost all the way to the trailing edge (with a kind of joint where the old ones ended). I hope the narrow windrange has improved a bit.
From what I have experienced, the top end has improved. More manageable.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
a99 (Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:08 pm)

khaakon
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70kg
Style: Landcrab
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 @4m /5m /6m /8m /11m /13m
...& FS P5 @6m /8m
Flysurfer Speed 5 @9m
Ozone Subzero @7m
BornKite Longstar 2 @3,5m
Ozone Ignition @2,5m
6 /9 /12m line ext.
Sysmic S3 buggy @18" Midi XL
Black Crows Skis
Underwave Atlantis seat /Dynabar /2 steel rings on rope
G-Form pads / Poc Helmet

Postby khaakon » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:34 pm

Those tech specs could be at least slightly interesting in regards to sizes. Looking at the projected area stated on FS P4 pages, it seems the models sizes in meters are rounded down for whole numbers (understandable ofc), and with that making sense in the difference between the 4M and 5M especially.
P4_sizes.jpg
I never updated with the 6M, and now that table is gone from their website.
These users thanked the author khaakon for the post:
a99 (Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:48 pm)

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:14 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:43 pm

Kitexpert, do you even own a Peak or rode one?

I disagree that cloth is not very important. This TX is stiffer and that does make a difference. While a tradition dual skin foil has air pressure to keeps its shape, especially during slack lines, the single skin doesn't have this. Yes the bridle makes up for a lot of that but still the fabric is what holds this all together and you can see the TX fabric making a difference in that. It doesn't ballon as much between bridle attachment point which makes the wing canopy much smoother. Also on complete slack lines(which this kite is designed to drift) you can obviously see the TX holds its shape better.

I still haven't been able to compare with a P4 6m, my shoulder has been killing me, but then it will be easier to show the difference.

The bridle attachments most likely are a slight improvement but I question if this was changed more due to the different characteristics of the new fabric.

Now I'm no "Expert" but I do aeronautical degree and understand this stuff pretty well. Also I go by my pretty good experience flying a lot of these foils and I'm just explaining what I've observed ACTUALLY owning these kites and flying them in very different environments.

=Jason-
I'm not going to buy any Peaks because I don't need kite like that. I am more for speed and boosting/looping and there is no use for single skin kites there. But I know them from the beginning and I'll test P5 as soon as I get a chance to do so. I have also designed couple of ss kites and done quite a lot adjusting and testing work so I know pretty closely which are the main issues of the concept. FS (and some other manufacturers) have been able to develop them further but issues are still there, and actually you can't fully go around them.

TX kite is smoother because of the different bridle. Ballooning is not at all a thing there and it shows me you don't understand ss kite problem areas. Like I wrote even if you had 5x heavier/stiffer fabric kite bridle (and its counter force lift/pressure) is the thing which mostly keep ss kite in shape.

There is also quite a lot plastic rod stiffeners in P4 and of course there is same in P5, if not more. If there is more rods it can explain if P5 looks better and flutters less when depowered. Also new bridle helps to certain point of depower but not much when fully depowered because slack lines can't support anything.

So in short question fabric or bridle explaining improved smoothness is not a question at all. Earlier fabric was certainly decent stuff also.

I must say you seem not to understand these things very well but you have a lot of user experience of FS kites, which definitely has value for those who are interested in these kites

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:03 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:48 am
Well quick report on the low end of the P5 6m. Went out today just to see what it could do. Wind was reporting 6kts with gust to 8/9kts. I'm 82kg, was on the Moses 633 with a 100cm board and using 15m lines.

I knew there was gonna really be no chance but I was out there so I figured I'd give it a try. It took a bunch of effort but I actually got up and foiled for a brief amount of time on an couple occasions. Not enough to turn or do anything though.

With a larger board and longer lines, I might have made a little of an actual session out of it. VERY impressed.

*EDITED*

I've added a small rough unedited clip today with my struggle. Shows you the turning and loop speed of the 6m and you can see the wind. I did eventually get up...barely lol
This is interesting for me as the only one I would upgrade for the sake of it might be the 6m. I would love love love it if the 6m P5 had more power than the 6m P4. I use the 6m size often and I really don't like shifting to my 10m twin skin unless I really have to.

I note that the 6m P5 weighs as much as the 5m P4 (880gr), so that's a decent improvement as well and if it turns faster then between those 2 factors it might fly closer to the P4 5m.

I would actually love a P5 7m that weighed and turned like the P4 6m but with more low end ( **cough** are you listening Flysurfer? *cough*), I would get a lot of use out of that.

Kiterdoug
Rare Poster
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Turtle
Lido
Skyway
Style: swell when we have it.
Gear: Armstrong
Pulsion 12
Pulsion 18
Peak 4 4m
Peak 5 6 m
Peak 5 8 m

Postby Kiterdoug » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:14 pm

Tried the new 8 m yesterday. Thought it flew very well in 4-7 knots. Seemed to turn better, but maybe because I am hoping it will.

On a side note, has anyone flown a Peak with a high V bar?
Last edited by Kiterdoug on Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Kiterdoug for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:27 pm)

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:55 pm

I would also doubt that the change in the material makes much difference, but it will be hard to know. It does seem like change in material is one of the most overhyped features of new kites generally. That said, I don't own and have not compared soul 1 and 2.

But what we do know is that an extra row of bridle connections on a single skin kite helps to stabilise the canopy a lot. We know this because this was the _only_ change from the V1 to the V2 firefly, and it made a surprising difference. This, to me, is the biggest potential source of improvement. But again, I don't have a peak 5 to compare with my 4s. (The peak 5 also stiffener filaments along the whole chord instead of just part way, but the firefly already had those, so I expect that is only a minor contribution).
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:38 pm)

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:34 am

RE the comment above about hybrid and cloth types I am getting some info from headquarters that Gin are developing Marabou V2 hybrid SS right now with a new cloth similar to TX (myungjin Korean fabric with similar amazing qualities, like Soul 2 fabric) and specifically for hydrofoil use. We already have one kite in the new fabric I can tell you for sure it makes a huge difference in how the kite flies (instinct HB). I think the new fabrics in foil kites are similar in concept to the differences people are arguing over in allula tube kite land, the fabric is way better but does it translate into different riding, some people argue it doesn't matter and not worth the $ but most people who ride with an open mind, can't explain exactly why but they just fly heaps better. I can tell you for sure our new Gin paragliders and foil kites made in the new fabrics are amazing to fly. Also a big diffference is that they fly that good for a very long time, not like many old fabrics where they are amazing for a few rides and then deteriorate and gradually fly a bit worse.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
merl (Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:24 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”