DaveP
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 160lbs/73kg
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, FS Peak5 8m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby DaveP » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:14 pm

I found no tangles / wraps in the bridles.
With the front mains connected to the same point the length is the same to a1 (this is what FS asked me to check):
Attachments
947EAD13-824F-4F6A-A5A3-89BB2E5FAE2A.jpeg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:59 pm

And you can not see anything "odd" when it is parked at 12, sheeted respectively in and out?

It should be dead straight in both cases.

I would have a friend watch your kite, or even better fly your kite while you watch it closely.

Fly it down to hover a bit over the ground, and again sheet out and look closely, and sheet in and look closely.
Then fly it to the other side hovering, and watch again.
Do this close to the kite, and a bit away, try to find a difference.

If you do this a couple of times you should be able to see something odd :D

How long lines are you using, and high or low V?

WHEN exactly does it happen - could be a clue also.
Say if it was when jibing and riding towards the kite while pulling one side of the kite hard?

8) Peter

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:50 pm

Even with everything connected without any wrap anywhere, on launch you can still get the pulley B wrapped around the line C. And tension in the mixer is enough to not let it sort out by itself.
It typically makes the steering a bit weird on one side, with more drag felt in the bar, and some asymetric unbalance. And you can actually see it when looking at the kite, the two pulleys don't appear separated. You can sort it out (or also cause it unfortunately) through crashing on the side, releasing tension and re-tensioning.

DaveP
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 160lbs/73kg
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, FS Peak5 8m

Postby DaveP » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:55 pm

P5 8m worked great today!
I’ll try to get back out tomorrow.
Thanks for the help.
These users thanked the author DaveP for the post:
bitxopalo (Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:49 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:06 pm

So after harsher first comments im writing this as final review.

I spend 55 days on windy location 8 - 25 knts riding every day riding Peak 4 - 3,4,5,6 and Peak 5 4,5 /have borrowed 6 and 8 and seen and played on ground 11 and 13/ and i also have closed cell Kitech FRS 9

Im riding 1500cm surf style HF on 88cm pocket board strapless.

Peak 4 and 5 are not subtle difference, they are quite different.

I try to be as neutral in description as possible leaving make opinion to you.

The bigger the size the more difference there is. Peak 4 can be ridden flutterless to size 5. After 5 there is still light flutter somewhere on canopy no matter the trim.
Peak 5 can be rock solid even in 13 m size given the trim is right.
Peak 5 is much more powerful than peak 4. Its almost one size difference. Its about dynamic power and power stroke / spike. Peak 4 is mellow kite. Peak 5 have performance of mellow medium aspect closed cell kite. It have very prominent power spike and and hold power in turn which peak 4 does not.
Its very easy to keep desired lift on peak 5 - such as for unweight for tack etc. It more simmilar to LEI or medium aspect closed cell kite in this regard.
Peak 5 will get you ride faster and more upwind than Peak 4 - very comparable to closed cell like kitech FRS. On Peak 4 you feel slower ride and less upwind.
Turning speed are similar but Peak 5 hold power in turn better.
I have about 80% relaunch success on both about 2 swim on 55 riding days multiple sesh per day - i did not find any difference here. I was able to pack unpack unrelanchable Peak 4 - on water. I was not able to do this with Peak 5 for some reason - it can be size related.

After some riding i find myself to prefer Peak 5. You miss solidity and power when you spend some time on 5 a return to 4.
Still there is some BIG downsides

Peak 5 can collapse in low wind much easier than Peak 4. You have to be much more precise with kite and ride more kite aware. Typical collapse is ride out from jibe kite is up after uploop - and pointing down.
Flying at full speed slack in lines can lead to front stall collapse or even bow tie. This is because it flyes faster and if you loose support on bridles - kite without structure just collapse.

Peak 4 react different - as soon as it loose support from bridle it slow down from flutter and this flutter rear brake the kite which prevent front stall.
This is 8-12 knts problem.

Both kite have similar level of usable flutter less depower, however after that peak 4 have complete flutter loosing power depower. This also slow kite down. Its Peak 4 magic feature which we all loved.
You cant ride like that but you can momentary utilize this feature on demand. For example for starting from power zone or after some wrong sending your kite. You just let go bar - and there is almost zero pull on lines and kite almost stop in air. This is because it loose foil profile and start flutter.

Peak 5 doesnt react as that at all. There is finite amount of depower and after that there is just slack on back lines. This finite depower doesnt lead to profile less fluttering. Kite still flight fast to the edge - like normal kite closed cell or LEI. Depower is also quite limited. Less than closed cell or LEI.

Peak 5 still can flutter and it flutter at higher frequency than Peak 4. This is because it start to flutter further back on canopy.

Peak 5 is more performance oriented with better L/D. Peak 4 offer more stability and some unique features which does not have any alternative.

So if someone from flysurfer is listening.

We still want "total profile less depower" this was magic.
We love new peak perfomance.

And we dont love same color in neighbor sizes /ie 5,6/

thanks for reading!

t.
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post (total 9):
Atte (Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:21 pm) • lifeinthehood (Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:13 pm) • Oldman_Dave (Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:09 pm) • Mikey (Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:48 pm) • bitxopalo (Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:49 pm) • Sceotend (Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:49 am) • merl (Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:57 am) • a99 (Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:46 pm) • Mikkelza (Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:51 am)
Rating: 27.27%

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:14 am

Hi everyone. The new Peak is still one of the best kite for foil freeriding and....jibing. More rigid in the air and stable in gusty and on/off wind conditions. The flapping is not as noticeable as in the old version. Overall a great improvement over the Peak 4.

Cheers
Carlo

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:12 pm

tomtom wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:06 pm
So after harsher first comments im writing this as final review.
Nice review and I agree with most of what you say. It's good to see someone else ride these back to back enough to really see the difference. I really think extending the plastic rib further down the wing chord is the main factor to the flight characteristic differences. The TX fabric is a little stiffer too which I'm sure has some effect on a soft kite like this.

The Peak5 turns better because I think it holds it's shape a little better. Also the plastic ribs helps keep its shape longer when all four lines are slack(happens frequently in my style of riding).

I'm betting we will see more of the new hybrid coming next month after AWSI. I really wanted to go this year but my shoulder yet again is going to keep me away again it looks. I'm really curious to see how they went with it. I would bet it is completely designed for they hydrofoil so I'm excited.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:37 am

Can't get going with Peak 5 13M.

Hi all, I bought Peak 5 13M after watching a video of Hugo going with it under 3 knots.. So I thought in 5-6 knots, surely I can be flying with this kite, but no :-(
As many already posted, the kite has absolutely NO power when diving it.. I tried to loop the kite, but even with looping I could not get going in 5 knots.

In 7 knots I can already go with my 12M flysurfer soul kite.. So I was really hoping for those additional 2 knots difference with a Peak.

Can somebody please describe the technique of getting going with a Peak4 or Peak5 in super low wind? I understand I need to loop, but I could not generate enough power to get vertical on my board with a 1000cm2 wing..

There must be something additional about Peak and some additional technique to generate that initial lift get get flying?

Thank you all!

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:55 am

*sorry, double post*
Last edited by Smeagle on Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:58 am

fun2kite wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:37 am
Can somebody please describe the technique of getting going with a Peak4 or Peak5 in super low wind? I understand I need to loop, but I could not generate enough power to get vertical on my board with a 1000cm2 wing..
I use my Peak4 13m in very low wind. I use a Wingfoilboard with high volume, so I can start standing up, I can fly on foil in 3 knots. Waterstart is impossible, but if you dive while standing up on he board you can start flying on foil at first dive, even if the kite is not flying stable, just by pumping it up pulling front lines to get to a dive position. As soon as you get going on foil you turn upwind and apparent wind is enough to get going. It needs a lot of practise to keep line tension while starting, as the board will want to go downwind, but you CANNOT go downwind at all, as you will loos line tension. Took me a lot of swims. Start trying at 4..5 knots, it is a lot easier when the kite is flying stable. 3knots is the point were I have to move the kite all the time to stay in the air.

I trimmed the profile very deep (AA1..AA4+2cm,B+5cm, C+2cm). I shorted the backlines ~20cm and I use 24m lines in V configuration.

If you dive you can generate a lot of power with this setup for quite a long time.

You have to be careful only to use "full power" at the right time, or you will stall it. But if used right, it is very helpful.

I also use the kite with normal kitefoil, but I need a gust >5 knots to waterstart. Loops do not help me, there is not much power in a loop with Peak4. I do some loops, but more to reposition the kite and do a new dive, not because of power in loop. BUT I can use the short back lines to get a big pull to get going if used at the right time/condition.
These users thanked the author Smeagle for the post (total 2):
fun2kite (Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:16 am) • flaps1111 (Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:23 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Foil Kites”