DaveP
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 160lbs/73kg
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, FS Peak5 8m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby DaveP » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:07 pm

I would imagine a mid to high Y, would increase the turn speed of the Peak5 8m?

Sceotend
Medium Poster
Weight: 90 kg
Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m

Postby Sceotend » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:25 pm

This is an interesting idea:

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:52 pm

The broken umbrella kite-catcher is hilarious, and there are often a few broken umbrellas in the trash cans at my local beaches if it is a windy day.

But why carry a totally unnecessary piece of equipment that risks damaging the kite, where you still have to untangle the kite from the contraption?

Are you going to carry that thing along with you on the water just in case you can’t make it back to your desired landing location?

Landing a peak is super easy: grab the steering lines and gently pull on them until the kite back stalls straight down wind. Then wrap the steering lines once around the center of the bar to keep the kite parked in the stalled position.

In hydrofoiling winds, all you have to do next is press the bar in to loose sand in order to keep kite from dragging the bar. In higher winds, you can set your board on top of the bar to hold it in place as you casually walk up to the kite and place a handful of sand on one wingtip.

This question seems to keep coming up, and some of the answers range from unnecessary complicated to totally bizarre. I’ll see if I can make a video demonstration.
Last edited by Trent hink on Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post (total 2):
DaveP (Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:30 pm) • chalks (Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:10 am)
Rating: 6.06%

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:03 pm

I know the 8m Peak and up don’t get much love here, but I’m really impressed with my new 8m Peak 5! I have a 6m Peak 5 and usually use a 10m Soul if too light for the 6m Peak.

I used 17m lines on the 8m today and it was way more fun for me than my Soul. After a rain storm went by the winds dropped significantly. My Soul would definitely been in the water, but I was able to get back to shore with a dry Peak.

Note: I’m only intermediate foiler and played in chop & some incoming swell (no waves).

My weight: 73 kg
Wind: Hot/tropical
Front: Axis BSC 810 (1070 cm2)
Rear: Axis 400 Freeride

It’s a keeper for me 👍
Last edited by martrench on Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:01 pm

martrench wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:03 pm
I know the 8m Peak and up don’t get much love here, but I’m really impressed with my new 8m Peak 5! I have a 6m Peak 5 and usually use a 10m Soul if too light for the 6m Peak.

I used 17m lines on the 8m today and it was way more fun for me than my Soul. After a rain storm went by the winds dropped significantly. My Soul would definitely been in the water, but I was able to get back to shore with a dry Peak.

Note: I’m only intermediate foiler and played in chop & some incoming swell (no waves).

It’s a keeper for me 👍
I think the 8m Peak gets compared to smaller Peaks, and like any type/brand of kite, smaller is faster and more fun, especially on a hydrofoil where you can go super small.

When you compare an 8m Peak5 with a twin skin kite like the Soul or an LEI kite of 10m-12m the Peak will be much more fun on the foil as its light weight makes it more responsive and of course the drift is much better. The new Peak5's have also improved the turning and responsiveness a little compared to the Peak4 and they can stay in the air better than most kites.

If you want to jump or race then the Peak isn't for you, but for sheer fun with a freeride foil and in waves you can't beat the Peaks. They're also much faster & easier to setup and take down than other kites and the price is hard to beat :D

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby drsurf » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:16 pm

Sceotend wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:25 pm
That video is way overkill for a Peak, for a twin skin foil it's a reasonably safe alternative if you're on your own.

Peaks are the easiest and safest kites to launch and land. As Trent Hink has described drop the kite and run down the back lines after setting the bar or just position your foilboard and backstall or drop your kite at the edge of the window so that the collapsed kite just slides into the deck side of your board.

On my beach I just slowly crash the Peak on the lee side of a small obstacle like a shrub, 30cm high tufts of seagrass or small dune. These obstacles will disturb the wind enough to keep it on the ground while I walk towards the kite.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
Trent hink (Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:40 pm

martrench wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:03 pm

It’s a keeper for me 👍

Hi martrench, nice you like it.

But I must say, if you ride the 8 on short lines, and the 6 on normal lines (like I believe most do, 21 m or something like that), then I honestly think the low end will be the same?

I use 28 meter lines on my 8, to push the lowend 1 knot down.
If I did not do that, I would have the same lowend, as the 6 is so much faster genreating loads more peak power, and feels natural for carving and waves as it can be whipped around fast.

If you are relatively new to these kites, my advice is to learn to loop the 6 m2 "precisely".
You can not do that right away, takes practice - you need to loop it in a wide arc with exact sheeting.

Quite easy with the 6, but if you are new to this kite, it is not - believe me, have seen others struggling, as they are thinking it is just like looping a tube.
More difficult with the 2.5 or 3 or 4, but most will have learned now with the 5 or 6 as the small ones are usually not the first purchase.

8) Peter

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:55 pm

It would be great if people who share experiences give others basic parameters like your weight, line lengh, front wing area…
Then others will be able to relate…

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby drsurf » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:03 pm

Lamilu wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:55 pm
It would be great if people who share experiences give others basic parameters like your weight, line lengh, front wing area…
Then others will be able to relate…
65kg, 21m lines 990 sq cm and 840 sq cm front wings. (Sabfoil 679 & 800 wings)

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:48 pm

Sceotend wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:25 pm
I use the br44 idea when I have to land in high wind, and not feel confident backstalling. Its easy and fast. Just a rope and carabiner... No sand here so I do not need an anchor.

Open the post here if interested.
Thanks again to br44
br44 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:42 am
I finally got a chance to test the .....
This idea, grabs one steering line instead of grabbing some bridles... Wich could be streesful for the kite in high wind
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post:
Sceotend (Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”