Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby fun2kite » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:22 am

Thank you this is very useful. I guess I need to try with my wingboard first as you suggested.

What is the technique of keeping the board from going downwind? with a wing, you can position the board upwind by moving the wing back.. but with a kite how?

Also, how do you get up onto the the board to stand, while flying the kite? Do you use the rope or hook harness? would be tricky to get onto the board with a hook pointing toward the board?

Also, as you need to push yourself up to the board? how do you fly the kite during this process? or you mange to get onto the board with one hand somehow?
Please describe it, as this will probably be very critical.

Thank you so much again.
Smeagle wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:58 am
fun2kite wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:37 am
Can somebody please describe the technique of getting going with a Peak4 or Peak5 in super low wind? I understand I need to loop, but I could not generate enough power to get vertical on my board with a 1000cm2 wing..

I trimmed the profile very deep (AA1..AA4+2cm,B+5cm, C+2cm). I shorted the backlines ~20cm and I use 24m lines in V configuration.

If you dive you can generate a lot of power with this setup for quite a long time.
You have to be careful only to use "full power" at the right time, or you will stall it. But if used right, it is very helpful.

I also use the kite with normal kitefoil, but I need a gust >5 knots to waterstart. Loops do not help me, there is not much power in a loop with Peak4. I do some loops, but more to reposition the kite and do a new dive, not because of power in loop. BUT I can use the short back lines to get a big pull to get going if used at the right time/condition.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:25 am

Was trimming the kite profile critical to the ability to go in 3 knots?
The factory setting is not going to do it?

on Peak 5 there seem to be two settings which I did not explore yet: flat and curved.. I am not experienced with adjusting the foil kites bridles , so I am not sure what it will do or how to change it.

If you can give a bit more info on what those changes you described do, and if the same will apply to Peak 5 you think?

Thank you!
Smeagle wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:58 am
fun2kite wrote:
Can somebody please describe the technique of getting going with a Peak4 or Peak5 in super low wind? I understand I need to loop, but I could not generate enough power to get vertical on my board with a 1000cm2 wing..
I trimmed the profile very deep (AA1..AA4+2cm,B+5cm, C+2cm). I shorted the backlines ~20cm and I use 24m lines in V configuration.

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:49 am

fun2kite wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:22 am
What is the technique of keeping the board from going downwind? with a wing, you can position the board upwind by moving the wing back.. but with a kite how?
Turning is the same as in normal wind, with kite or wing. Weight/pressure to back of board turns upwind, Weight/pressure to front of board turns downwind.

The problem starts when positioning and climbing onto the board. The boards need to stay cross wind at all times. You need to put pressure on the board in the back part of the board, so it won't turn downwind when climbing onto it. And when standing up keep your weight back so again it does not turn downwind. You will loose line tension as soons as the board turns downwind. That's the difficult part. In the video below you can see how not to do it ;)
fun2kite wrote:
Also, how do you get up onto the the board to stand, while flying the kite? Do you use the rope or hook harness? would be tricky to get onto the board with a hook pointing toward the board?
Also, as you need to push yourself up to the board? how do you fly the kite during this process? or you mange to get onto the board with one hand somehow?
I am using a rope harness, but that does not matter much with an inflatable board. I put my hands at centerline of board, pull myself on boards, pull up knees and stand up. Practice without kite. I let go of bar for a short time, as needed, Peak gives you some time, it's very slow...
fun2kite wrote:
Was trimming the kite profile critical to the ability to go in 3 knots?
The factory setting is not going to do it?
Main reason for trimming was the very slow/delayed reaction/turning of Peak4 13m in very light wind. AND it is close to impossible to keep control with low tensions on lines and very long back lines. With short lines you can push and keep it back deeper from the edge of wind window. More power in Dive also helps a lot. Factory settings should be fine in ~5knots.

Here is a video of one of my first tries ;) I still need a lot of practice.

Before an when starting I got too much downwind for the ferst few second, turned upwind too late. This is bad, but I got away with it, as I had ~6 knots in that video, which is more than enought.

As you can see, the board leash is very annoying. I always get tangled ;) Maybe I will try without it.

Sorry, I was not able to film in lower wind, as the battery was empty ;) Maybe in next session.
These users thanked the author Smeagle for the post:
flaps1111 (Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:38 pm

fun2kite wrote:
Can't get going with Peak 5 13M.

Hi all, I bought Peak 5 13M after watching a video of Hugo going with it under 3 knots.. So I thought in 5-6 knots, surely I can be flying with this kite, but no :-(
As many already posted, the kite has absolutely NO power when diving it.. I tried to loop the kite, but even with looping I could not get going in 5 knots.

In 7 knots I can already go with my 12M flysurfer soul kite.. So I was really hoping for those additional 2 knots difference with a Peak.

There must be something additional about Peak and some additional technique to generate that initial lift get get flying?

Thank you all!
I've only used a 13m Peak4 once but found it easy to get my 65kg going in light wind on my 110cm foilboard and 990 sq cm foil. However I have never found looping the Peak kites to start works well for me. I found figure eights across the power zone works best for me. This is especially relevant if the wind is stratified and not as strong closer to the ground which can cause a loss of power at the bottom of a loop.

Today I was kitefoiling at the other end of the size range with a 2.5m Peak5. Initially a bit light at 13-14 knots which meant working the kite a little but it settled down to 15-20 knots after a while which was great for the 2.5m Peak :D

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:51 pm

When I had an 11 m2 Peak4, I used 30 m lines and also found looping did not really benefit (nor was it worse) - a long downsweep a bit from behind works the best.
Whereas the smaller Peaks 6 m2 and down, looping works magic very often :rollgrin:

True, you dont get going earlier than a similar sized LEI in my experience, with the big ones, as you dont have the peak power like LEI or efficient doubleskin foilkites.

BUT, if wind drops, you can get safely to shore with a big Peak, just opposite to LEI and heavier foilkites.

8) Peter

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:01 pm

Agree longer lines & long swings, 30m low drag lines helped me push the low wind limit on my 13m Peak4. I don’t have a wing board to start standing. At 90kg +wet gear it’s the most stable low wind kite I’ve used with my 1100cm2 SS Apollo wing.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster

Postby fun2kite » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:42 am

Thank you! this was very useful.
You lucky to have completely flat water and seem no current.

My conditions are chop plus current, which will make it more difficult ..
But I will try on a wing board.. lets see what happens .
Smeagle wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:49 am
fun2kite wrote:
Here is a video of one of my first tries ;) I still need a lot of practice.

vanart
Medium Poster

Postby vanart » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:09 am

In 5.5 - 6.5 knots 12 m Soul is already enough look at the video below!

It would be great if Peak could push the limit even further i don't know 3-4-5 knts perhaps!?

vanart
Medium Poster

Postby vanart » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:22 am

In other words will there ever be a situation where one canNOT kite with Soul but can do just fine with Peak or any single skin kite for that matter!?!?!?!?!?

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:54 am

Sorry double post again!? Why do I get errors when posting and still my post shows up, only later? Sorry for that.
Last edited by Smeagle on Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Foil Kites”