Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby drsurf » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:07 pm

In Australia I'm still waiting on stock :(
You can bet if I had the Peak5's coupled with the good wind and hot sunny days we've had lately you would be hearing about it!

I can only assume there is very little stock around apart from the kite Peter Frank got, and none of it has made it to the southern hemisphere summer to be reviewed...

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ieism » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:39 pm

I think my regular supplier has stock, so the distributer for our country. The shops don't stock it here in the Netherlands yet but that's mostly because of low demand, was the same with the peak4.

I'm thinking of adding the 2.5 next summer. It's not much use for me now but on foil I think it would add usefull range compared to the 4m i have now.

So what's with the new Control bar 2? Same as the old one but new colours?

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:29 pm

ieism wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:39 pm
I think my regular supplier has stock, so the distributer for our country. The shops don't stock it here in the Netherlands yet but that's mostly because of low demand, was the same with the peak4.

I'm thinking of adding the 2.5 next summer. It's not much use for me now but on foil I think it would add usefull range compared to the 4m i have now.

The way I understood it is that it is now a front line safety bar with an optional b safe system for snow. Which is better for people who want to fly it both on snow and foil.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:42 pm

ieism wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:39 pm

It would be the first time Flysurfer only change the colors for a new product, I know a lot of other companies only change colors for a new product every year. I guess that's why there was more then 3 years for the new peak to hit the market.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:31 pm

I have been out a couple of times more with the 6 m2 now.

I love this kite :rollgrin:

But so did I with the Peak4 in 6 m2.

In every way a great kite, the new one.

Although, impossible for me to tell all differences, without flying a Peak4 in 6 neck and neck with the new one.

If I should compare turning and depower and so on.

It feels like it is more rigid and flies just a tad more like a dualskin kite, but only based on the fact that when I rigged down to a 5 m2 when wind picked up, the 5 m2 felt a bit "soggy" and soft so to speak.
Not always bad, as drift is amazing then, and I also know you can not compare two different sizes.
Not sure about this difference, just a feeling :D

Hopefully I can try switching with a friend, as I know three around here who has the 6 m2 Peak4.

8) Peter

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:38 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:31 pm
It feels like it is more rigid and flies just a tad more like a dualskin kite, but only based on the fact that when I rigged down to a 5 m2 when wind picked up, the 5 m2 felt a bit "soggy" and soft so to speak.
Not always bad, as drift is amazing then, and I also know you can not compare two different sizes.
Not sure about this difference, just a feeling :D
Yes this is one point I'm particularly curious about. As discussed already on the Peak4 thread, flapping may be a Peak4 feature but not a bug, for great drifting capabilities. And perhaps an unintended feature, discovered by chance by Peak wavefoilers, since drift is only marginally important for the original target, snowkiting (maybe only when you ride down a slope without kite power).

So while it's very likely that the Peak5 is a better snowkiting and general foiling kite, is it really better also for kite-waveriding?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:52 am

Not sure I agree fully....

Yes maybe one could get it to drift even more when flapping, I dont know.

But for me, when not flapping just sheeted in to the point where it doesnt - it still drifts amazing, no comparison to other kites (except for the C.A. Firefly maybe, same type)

I dont think I ever sheet out anymore, now very used to these kites - but can still ride and carve tight downwind, a thing not possible with other kite types in my experience.

8) Peter

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:30 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:52 am
Not sure I agree fully....

Yes maybe one could get it to drift even more when flapping, I dont know.

But for me, when not flapping just sheeted in to the point where it doesnt - it still drifts amazing, no comparison to other kites (except for the C.A. Firefly maybe, same type)

I dont think I ever sheet out anymore, now very used to these kites - but can still ride and carve tight downwind, a thing not possible with other kite types in my experience.

8) Peter
Kite doesnt need flapping to drift - it is very to easy to see it doesnt flapp while drifting - agree with Peter.
What flapping do is "cancel" profile and cancel any lift /what stays on lines is almost pure drag/ This is useful for hot launch and instant power kill while kite flyes through powerzone

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:46 am

Peter,

If you or someone else is in the POPCORN FART weight class then you might be able to fly a NAPKIN. WHEN someone is in the Clydesdale class like me a CIRCUS TENT may be the only way to kite instead of sitting home and posting useless bullwash.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:04 pm

14ToeSide wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:46 am
WHEN someone is in the Clydesdale class like me a CIRCUS TENT may be the only way to kite instead of sitting home and posting useless bullwash.
I am not familiar with that weight class how many pies it is, but 5m Peak4 I and my 0.11t have been able to hydrofoil on 1500cm2 foil wing where napkin class can barely (usually don't bother though) go with 16LEI & large TT. And I've 4m Peak5 ordered so I trust my home area with low winds so much with my weight class that I am willing to invest on smaller kite.

Return to “Foil Kites”