Flysurfer Peak 5

For all foil kite riders
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5

Postby Trent hink » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:47 am

Subtract three knots from the windspeed to find the speed at which you can comfortably travel straight downwind, and rig/ride accordingly.

Any size Peak will fly towards the edge of the apparent wind window in three knots.

It really is that simple.

As long as you have enough power to get going, and don't exceed the speed limit, you're golden.

If you exceed the speed limit, the kite can abruptly stop working, but it will let you know what's going on as long as you approach with a bit of caution.

The speed limit is always windspeed minus three knots with a Peak, but only if you wish to travel straight downwind and experience true drifting magic.

A bit off and you can go much faster, but that's just the way apparent wind works...

I like it. Some people tell me I'm a bit off!
Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:15 pm
Thanks. Iwas hoping to waterstart transverse to thé wind to avoid négative apparent wind, like kitefoil.
I am affraid Indeed that 2.5 m isl low but that IS what m'y Friend Marc blanc uses for sale exercises and After long investigations and test.
Peak 4 would bé cheaper and 3m but i am affraid of its stability pure downwind, and m'y souvenir of fréquent loose of structure compared to closes Leading edge firefly or hysper2, which i Never tried in so low sizes....
Last edited by Trent hink on Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:39 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:02 pm
question to experts of peak5 ; sorry certainly already answered in the 53 pages but I'll appreciate your educated comparision between peak4, peak5 and hybrid sor a special application , and looking for lowest budget (peak4) if not too much technical difference ... my need is around simili sup-foil downwind (special but you could give your best guess):
- size 2.5 or 3 or 4m max , use on a wingfoil board , 60kg
- in about 20 knots , for freefly, so pure downwind
- kite as neutral as possible , and trying to reach a kind of auto-zenith : kite stable around the zenith without hands on the bar, but only punctual and minimum inputs of the pilot

in your opinion what are the pro and cos of those three kites on those special features ?
I was playing around with my 3.5m Hybrid hands free and it definitely works well for a bit.

But I don’t think you are realistically going to get more than 5s or maybe 10s if you are lucky hands free. And while you are hands free your course is limited. You will not have the freedom that a SUP or Wing foil would have because you still have that kite floating over you and it sometimes interferes with slicing around in waves. For example if you are hands free and it starts to drift left while you are riding right you will suddenly be getting some resistance and potentially getting your body twisted back in the wrong direction. I’m not saying the ride won’t be awesome, but you may end up minding the kite more than you expect.

alekbelia wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:39 pm
Regis-de-giens wrote:
question to experts of peak5 ; sorry certainly already answered in the 53 pages but I'll appreciate your educated comparision between peak4, peak5 and hybrid
in your opinion what are the pro and cos of those three kites on those special features ?
Peak5 2.5 is most stable in the zenith. Peak4 is almost as stable.
For an application like yours both kites are better suited than the Hybrid.
If you do not want high maneuverability from the kite, then use a light 30 cm bar.
I’m curious why you think the Peak > Hybrid here(other than price)? I’d say the advantage to the hybrid in this situation is that if OP actually does ride hands off and ignores it for long enough, he’s going to put it in the drink at some point!
These users thanked the author IWantToFly for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:14 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:12 pm

Is Peak structure stable enough in case i punctually goes faster than wind compared to hybrid?
The speed limit for the Peak 4 is you can go straight down wind as long as your velocity does not exceed the wind velocity minus three knots

Everything is golden until you reach the limit.

If you approach it slowly, you might see the signs.

If you exceed it, and especially if you do it quickly, the kite WILL fall.

If you approach slowly, the kite will start backing down even when you are sheeted out.

If you abruptly breech the apparent wind limit, the kite will collapse forwards and try to fall out of the sky.

Its correctable if you think quick and can apply enough drag, but there is a good chance you will crash the kite... and we all know these kites can't relaunch!🤪

Just need to retirate that straight off the wind is where real drifting magic happens...

A bit off of downwind, apparent wind only works in your favor.

Its weird to think that some are so out of touch that they can't even describe what drifting is...

It's simple. If the kite can fly towards the edge of the apparent wind window in the lowest possible wind, that's the best drifting kite!

alekbelia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alekbelia » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:11 am

IWantToFly wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:39 am
...I’m curious why you think the Peak > Hybrid here(other than price)?...
Pure singleskin is lighter and does not carry air in it. This also leads to lighter handling.
The lightest possible bar and thin lines are very important here. Otherwise, the difference cannot be felt and used.
This year I rode exclusively singleskins on wave. I tested a hybrid on the beach but didn't like it enough to test it on the water.

mashimisha2
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Boracay
Favorite Beaches: Bulabog beach, Cuyo, Sicily
Style: wave carving on a hydrofoil or waveboard
Gear: Flysurfer Soul
Flysurfer Peak
Nomad Wave board
Gong foil

Postby mashimisha2 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:35 am

I would love to see a video of somebody really making good use of the Peak to ride the waves downwind.
I am able to do it sometimes, but lack a coherent strategy to cut back and forth between toe-side and heel-side while keeping the kite in the air.
I wanna see how people use loops and backstalls and pinwheels and up-and-overs to get the most out of the waves.

Riding alone month after month without good riders to follow can be frustrating
These users thanked the author mashimisha2 for the post:
Trent hink (Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:45 am)

alekbelia
Medium Poster
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4

Postby alekbelia » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:52 am

mashimisha2 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:35 am
I would love to see a video of somebody really making good use of the Peak to ride the waves downwind.
The wind was not enough for a more dynamic ride, but my son rarely comes with me, and he alone is a very good drone operator around. Kite is singleskin - Click 5 sqm (I have both Peaks and Clicks in my quiver).
These users thanked the author alekbelia for the post (total 2):
mashimisha2 (Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:09 pm) • watercamper (Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:49 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:00 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
question to experts of peak5 ; sorry certainly already answered in the 53 pages but I'll appreciate your educated comparision between peak4, peak5 and hybrid sor a special application , and looking for lowest budget (peak4) if not too much technical difference ... my need is around simili sup-foil downwind (special but you could give your best guess):
- size 2.5 or 3 or 4m max , use on a wingfoil board , 60kg
- in about 20 knots , for freefly, so pure downwind
- kite as neutral as possible , and trying to reach a kind of auto-zenith : kite stable around the zenith without hands on the bar, but only punctual and minimum inputs of the pilot

From my experience on Peak4/5 kites and the Hybrid and being 67kg I would suggest the Hybrid 3.5 for under 20 knots and Hybrid 2.5 for 20 knots plus.

The Hybrid has better drift than the Peaks and I find it's easy to fly with one hand and only occasionally see where the kite is. You can let go for short periods but I don't understand why you'd need to do this. If you're wave riding, which will have you riding across the wave in both directions, you'll need some kite redirection. With such small kites, input is small to get a good kite response which is better with the Hybrid throughout its whole wind range.
If you drop it, it will relaunch easily, which is handy when you're up to 1km offshore.

I'm assuming that your mention of SUP foil means you're using a large SUP foil board instead of a kite foil board? I can't see why you would do this as a small kite foil board will give you much better performance in every way including starting off, as you can use a low volume kite foil board partly submerged to provide resistance against the kite in light wind. A higher volume SUP board can be a handful with a kite as it will want to drift downwind fast when trying to start and be much less responsive wave riding and foiling than a 10 litre, 1 metre long kite foil board.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:10 pm)

alekbelia
Medium Poster
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4

Postby alekbelia » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:53 pm

drsurf wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:00 pm
...The Hybrid has better drift than the Peaks...
Why do you think so? Any physical explanation? Or is the relaunch more important?
Yesterday I restarted successfully fully drowned Peak5 2.5 in waves up to 2.5 m. Some of them with white caps. 1 - 1.5 km from the shore.
This is the video from that session. I drowned the kite as I was euphoric during the session and ended up careless (rarely happens to me).

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:52 pm

alekbelia wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:53 pm
drsurf wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:00 pm
...The Hybrid has better drift than the Peaks...
Why do you think so? Any physical explanation? Or is the relaunch more important?
Yesterday I restarted successfully fully drowned Peak5 2.5 in waves up to 2.5 m. Some of them with white caps. 1 - 1.5 km from the shore.
This is the video from that session. I drowned the kite as I was euphoric during the session and ended up careless (rarely happens to me).
Hi alekbella.
The main reason the Hybrid drifts better than the Peaks is that it retains some shape if the wind drops or you go towards the kite faster than the wind, apparent or actual, allows. The Peak can collapse and lose all shape if it has no wind leaving you very little time to recover the kite before it hits the water. The Hybrid holds its shape as it slowly drops without wind giving you more recovery time. It's a bonus that it can relaunch as well.

Of course both kites drift way better than virtually all other kites. BTW your video shows waves and wind very similar to where I ride. I started unconsciously leaning into the turns as I watched :D
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post (total 2):
alekbelia (Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:05 pm) • lederhosen (Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:36 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

mashimisha2
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Boracay
Favorite Beaches: Bulabog beach, Cuyo, Sicily
Style: wave carving on a hydrofoil or waveboard
Gear: Flysurfer Soul
Flysurfer Peak
Nomad Wave board
Gong foil

Postby mashimisha2 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:09 pm

alekbelia wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:52 am
mashimisha2 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:35 am
The wind was not enough for a more dynamic ride, but my son rarely comes with me, and he alone is a very good drone operator around. Kite is singleskin - Click 5 sqm (I have both Peaks and Clicks in my quiver).
Nice riding and video work. That looks like a fun kite too.
These users thanked the author mashimisha2 for the post:
alekbelia (Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:35 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”